Use Mac Display Color Profile for viewers ON or OFF ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bastien

Use Mac Display Color Profile for viewers ON or OFF ?

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 6:35 pm

Hello,

Since I am focusing on gamma shift issues and setting up a proper grading workflow, I have a specific question relative to my past settings while grading on DaVinci Resolve via a BenQ monitor linked directly to my MacBook Pro via HDMI (I am considering getting an I/O device in the near future).

At that time, I calibrated my BenQ monitor to Rec.709 Gamma 2.4 via DisplayCAL with a Calibrate ColorChecker Display Plus.
In the Preference settings, "Use Mac Display Color Profile for viewers" was turned OFF.
I used the GUI as well as the Video Clean Feed output, each one always displayed on the BenQ monitor for critical judgement.

I am wondering if the "Use Mac Display Color Profile for viewers" should have been turned ON or if it wouldn't have changed anything visually ?

From my understanding of the DVR manual page 2756, this setting should be on whenever working on a Mac, right ?

In fact, I would like to know if this workflow seems somewhat reliable (except the lacking I/O device) or if something looks off right away.

By the way, I'd be pleased to learn more about the color shifts introduced by the GPU/ColorSync on MacOS.

Thank you for your support !

Bastien

Re: Use Mac Display Color Profile for viewers ON or OFF ?

PostSat Nov 12, 2022 8:22 am

In other words, is color grading on a calibrated monitor without an I/On device and without turning ON the « Use Mac Display Color Profile for viewers » relevant ?

Thank you for your support !

nandemofoto

Re: Use Mac Display Color Profile for viewers ON or OFF ?

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 3:41 am

HI,
It's been a while since you posted this question, were you able to find an answer?

I am in a similar situation, using M1 MBA with BenQ Rec.709 monitor but without video I/O device and I'm not sure if I should have the "Use Mac display color profiles for viewers" ON or OFF

Cheers!

Return to DaVinci Resolve