18.1 Fairlight Automation Issues in detail

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Matt.perrott

18.1 Fairlight Automation Issues in detail

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 9:43 am

Just wanted to share some of the automation issues in Fairlight that have popped up on the forum.

Copy Paste EQ Broken
Unable using the GUI to copy and paste track EQ automation settings. Works as expected with dynamics.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jud3lteihv79m ... e.mov?dl=0

Fader snap seems to latch
As described. New Fader snap mode not working as expected (Latching rotaries vs snapping faders)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfocfm3j8oinl ... g.mov?dl=0

Flatten Audio layers affecting automation
This seems intermittent, I could not always successfully reproduce but did occur.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3x8vz9zxwyg2 ... e.mov?dl=0

Range Automation clearing issue 1
Clearing (by pressing delete) automation in a range can adversely impact automation outside of the range.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3do2kmnz3d52s ... n.mov?dl=0

Range Automation clearing issue 2
Deleting an entire timeline range of automation will fail unless you are actively viewing the entire timeline. Zooming in will result in only deleting the range visible on screen
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z08eipcpnotxc ... 2.mov?dl=0

Trim automation does not work as expected
Trying to trim a ranges values with preview automation results in the range being written flat.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx0xosetaqvc8 ... e.mov?dl=0

Hope these are helpful to the BMD engineers. Some exciting features I can't wait to really get stuck into
Matt Perrott - Mighty Sound

DR Studio 18.x
Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB Ram - Ultra Studio 4k Mini, MTRX Studio / Digiface DANTE
MBP 16 Inch M1 Max 32GB Ram

Steve Fishwick

Re: 18.1 Fairlight Automation Issues in detail

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 9:56 am

Thanks for this Matt. What control surface are you using as a matter of interest? I have the Artist Mix and I haven't yet used it in anger in 18.1. Hopefully the man who knows more about Fairlight than I imagine anyone could know, Reynaud, will chip in with his take on this.

Matt.perrott

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 12:25 pm

Using mouse and keyboard only at this stage. Our company is looking at using editor and consoles early next year so really getting in deep in preparation and seeing if tools are up to this job. The new automation , editing and grid modes are wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DR Studio 18.x

hockinsk

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 6:24 pm

Can I add automation isn't working in 18.1. It is animating the panner, but not the audio. Same in Dolby Atmos panning. Panning only works when stop/starting playback.
Intel i7, 32GB LPDDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1650 6GB, Windows 10, Davinci Resolve Studio 18.0.4

Charles Bennett

PostSat Nov 19, 2022 9:21 pm

I'm not a Dolby Atmos user, but standard fader and track pan automation are working here in Fairlight, and the audio is following the pan as I record it.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Matt.perrott

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 1:45 am

Without having an atmos monitoring setup, it seems that the panner and audio is updating for Atmos as per the meterbank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt3fu3nzprtcd ... l.mov?dl=0

I also have had no issues with stereo.

Atmos session seems to playback at half speed for me though, but that could be anything with my system :)

DR Studio 18.x

Reynaud Venter

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 5:40 am

Matt.perrott wrote:Copy Paste EQ Broken
Not reproducing this yet. Is this isolated to that particular Project or is this a global occurrence?

Is copy/pasting Fairlight EQ settings in the Mixer possible via right clicking the EQ module and the Copy/Paste commands?

Is pasting Track Atrributes functional on your system (right click Timeline Track or Mixer channel header)?

Fader snap seems to latch
Confirming that Fader Snap enabled in Resolve's UI remains in Latch when releasing the fader.

Fader Snap is operational from the Fairlight Console in the Mix megamode > Mix Menu > Fader Snap

Flatten Audio layers affecting automation
Have reproduced this fairly consistently.

Range Automation clearing issue 1
Not reproducing this behaviour. Is this an issue globally or with that particular Project.
Are you able to send that Project (without media) or is that the same Project recently shared?

Not reproducing this behaviour from Resolve's UI or the Fairlight Console yet.

Is this a global issue or only with that particular Project?

Trim automation does not work as expected
Enabling Preview will disable Trim, since Preview is a global state and the system can not be in Write or Trim modes.

This is perhaps clearer on the Fairlight Console than Resolve's UI, where the Trim key in the Mix megamode disables when pressing the Preview key. Am seeing sporadic occurrences where enabling Preview in Resolve's UI retains the Trim selection rather than toggling back to Write.
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Matt.perrott

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 10:35 am

Thank you Reynaud as always for your investigation on things.

Having a play around, and see below...

Copy Paste EQ - This issue does not seem to exist outside of this particular project, or even that specific track that I attempted to paste to. However, as alluded to, Track Attributes does have an issue...

Copy, Paste track attributes does not seem to work I have been unable to cope, paste or remove volume, pan, automation etc. Plugins DO work though. This is consistent across sessions.

Re the range automation issues, yes the project I sent you is the same one. I am able to reproduce this in other projects.

Interesting re Trim Mode, I will have to pick your brain if there is an equivelant way of being able to lower values across a long range. I would usually highlight a range, fader trim down and write that. With the new automation mode, I can easily select the range and just lower the value the required amount though it would be nice to have a hardware option for.

Thanks again!

DR Studio 18.x

Rajiv Mudgal

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 11:12 am

Copy Paste EQ - I did encounter this issue a few times. mine is a long form edit, 2.4 hours to be precise.
I hope a fix may be on the way soon.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8500260/

hockinsk

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 9:48 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:I'm not a Dolby Atmos user, but standard fader and track pan automation are working here in Fairlight, and the audio is following the pan as I record it.

Yeah normal audio panning is fine, the recent .1 update has broken Dolby Atmos Automation panning. Haven't tried rerenders yet, but definitely, the session is not possible to automate anymore.
Look at the Atmos Renderer meter, nothing is panning to the left because the only point in the timeline panning is updated from the automation is when I hit play, all other automation values are ignored unless I stop playback and then start again.
autom.gif
autom.gif (823.94 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Intel i7, 32GB LPDDR4, NVIDIA GTX 1650 6GB, Windows 10, Davinci Resolve Studio 18.0.4

hockinsk

PostSun Nov 20, 2022 10:01 pm

Matt.perrott wrote:Without having an atmos monitoring setup, it seems that the panner and audio is updating for Atmos as per the meterbank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xt3fu3nzprtcd ... l.mov?dl=0

I also have had no issues with stereo.

Atmos session seems to playback at half speed for me though, but that could be anything with my system :)

Yep, it's a weird one. As you can see from my ani.gif above, no such panning is happening via automation. Manually panning and non-Atmos automation works fine, it's only when I connect to the Renderer all automation stops with the renderer.

Matt.perrott

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 11:36 am

Updating this, can confirm the bug...

Deleting an entire timeline range of automation will fail unless you are actively viewing the entire timeline. Zooming in will result in only deleting the range visible on screen
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z08eipcpnotxc ... 2.mov?dl=0

can be worked around by either using the clear automation command, or edit -> cut. Pressing delete, or Edit -> delete selected continues to reproduce this bug.

DR Studio 18.x

Return to DaVinci Resolve