AAF Files into Nuendo 12

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Harry W

AAF Files into Nuendo 12

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 9:52 am

Hi

Thank you for letting me join your forum.

Im considering purchasing Resolve Studio and wondered if the exporting of AAF files into Nuendo 12 has been solved. It seems back in 2021 problems were still fairly rife + I can't seem to find any more info.

Any help much appreciated

Reynaud Venter

Re: AAF Files into Nuendo 12

PostSat Nov 26, 2022 6:10 pm

The Standard (free) edition of Resolve should allow confirming the AAF export workflow with Nuendo.

There have been previous reports that Nuendo could fail to import certain embedded AAFs and one solution suggested by several Nuendo users is to disable the Video Track in the AAF preset and deliver broadcast wave files.

Avoiding the use of muted/disabled Audio Clips also results in successful imports in to Nuendo.

Additionally, enable the following to ensure improved compatibility with Nuendo:
[*] Timeline menu > Flatten Audio Track Layers
[*] Resolve Preferences > User > Editing > General Settings > Align audio edits to frame boundaries
⟦ Mac Pro 7,1 Rack ⊕ 16-core 3.2GHz ⊕ 32GB RAM ⊕ Radeon 580X • Resolve Studio 19.0 • macOS 14.4.1 ⟧
⟦ Fairlight Studio Console ⊕ Fairlight Audio Accelerator ⊕ Merging Hapi • Anubis • Ravenna CoreAudio VAD ⟧

Harry W

PostSun Nov 27, 2022 8:21 am

Reynaud Venter wrote:The Standard (free) edition of Resolve should allow confirming the AAF export workflow with Nuendo.

There have been previous reports that Nuendo could fail to import certain embedded AAFs and one solution suggested by several Nuendo users is to disable the Video Track in the AAF preset and deliver broadcast wave files.

Avoiding the use of muted/disabled Audio Clips also results in successful imports in to Nuendo.

Additionally, enable the following to ensure improved compatibility with Nuendo:
[*] Timeline menu > Flatten Audio Track Layers
[*] Resolve Preferences > User > Editing > General Settings > Align audio edits to frame boundaries

Thank you for all this information. Will try what you have suggested. In the meantime I have just delivered Broadcast Wav files which works perfectly. Really impressed with the exporting of ADM files for Dolby Atmos...everything so far just works. Will buy today

Harry

enricomorisoni

PostWed Mar 01, 2023 9:13 am

In case it might help anybody: I was sent an AAF exported from a Final Cut Pro project so that I could work on the post production audio in Nuendo 12. I tried importing the AAF from FCP into Nuendo and it basically went all over the place. Unusable. I was aware that the original files had the various edits, fades, etc still intact, and also that they were not all with the same bit rate, so I wasn’t really surprised that it didn’t work. HOWEVER, I then decided to import the same AAF file into Da Vinci Resolve 18 (no problem, imported as a timeline) and then re-export it from there as an AAF file (using Avid AAF). Following suggestions on the Steinberg forum, I did make sure to de-activate the ‘use unique File name’ button in Resolve; and I exported only the audio, not the video (which I added later). The resulting AAF file (29 GB) I then imported into a new Nuendo 12 project and I experienced no problems. It’s in synch, the original faders etc metadata are in place - ready to go.

In other words, I didn’t have to go through all the loops of removing fades, gains, audio cuts to frames, etc.

Hope this is of use to someone. :slight_smile: I’m on a Silicon Mac, by the way.

Return to DaVinci Resolve