New user figuring Speed Eidtor vs Keyboard

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Sandy Kimbrough

New user figuring Speed Eidtor vs Keyboard

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 7:07 pm

Being newer to Resolve, I was hoping you could help me plan the best path for future growth as I currently create and edit YouTube videos for a person whose channel is growing at a good pace. Also, for my business I create videos (and shorts) that are placed on IG, YT, Twitter, and TikTok.

My current setup is a 2022 MacBook Pro. I don’t use a mouse because the trackpad does just fine. This is about to change though as I now have a 27” monitor and will be closing the laptop and placing it under the monitor stand.

Clearly I will need a keyboard and tracking device (probably a small Wacom tablet w/pen). Is it smarter to get the Resolve Keyboard (w/Studio) or the Speed Editor (w/Studio) + a simple keyboard? I ask because I’ve only done minor work on shortcuts so there’s a lot for me to still learn.

My workspace won’t be Hollywood level but I am planning to grow my setup as I step away from Final Cut Pro X altogether.

Thank you for any suggestions! I am so glad I discovered Resolve.

Sean Nelson

Re: New user figuring Speed Eidtor vs Keyboard

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 12:11 am

Sandy Kimbrough wrote:Clearly I will need a keyboard and tracking device (probably a small Wacom tablet w/pen). Is it smarter to get the Resolve Keyboard (w/Studio) or the Speed Editor (w/Studio) + a simple keyboard?

You say it's clear you'll need a tracking device, but it's not obvious to me why that would be. You can do everything you need with a standard keyboard and mouse, it's really just a question of how intensely and often you need to do certain operations that might be more streamlined with a more optimized input device.

So the big question is: what kinds of things do you expect to be doing intensively or repetitively?

The Speed Editor with its jog dial is terrific for rapidly selecting, cutting and ordering clips together into a coherent whole. But if you've got the idea that a Wacom Tablet is going to solve some sort of problem for you then I'm struggling a bit to see how the Speed Editor would solve that same problem. And I should point out that using the mouse with the Jog icon under the viewer is also surprisingly effective.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

Uli Plank

PostTue Nov 29, 2022 1:47 am

But I'd get a PC mouse with a scroll wheel and a middle button.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Sandy Kimbrough

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 5:19 am

You say it's clear you'll need a tracking device, but it's not obvious to me why that would be. You can do everything you need with a standard keyboard and mouse, it's really just a question of how intensely and often you need to do certain operations that might be more streamlined with a more optimized input device.

- Thank you for the response and thoughtful questions. Over time I’ve come to prefer using a trackpad on the laptop instead of a mouse. I previously used a small (4” x 6”) Wacom w/pen when I editing photos and found it very comfortable using it as a primary input device. I think a standalone Magic Trackpad allows for the accuracy without purchasing another input device.

So the big question is: what kinds of things do you expect to be doing intensively or repetitively?

- I can see the most repetitive work being quick trims and reordering from a stack of videos (and B-roll) as we plan to shoot 15-30 minute stories ranging from various rooms to outdoor interviews/walk arounds.

The Speed Editor with its jog dial is terrific for rapidly selecting, cutting and ordering clips together into a coherent whole. But if you've got the idea that a Wacom Tablet is going to solve some sort of problem for you then I'm struggling a bit to see how the Speed Editor would solve that same problem.

- Valid point and I had to really breathe and think about that. I’ve watched a few hours of video instruction from Darren Mostyn on YouTube. Even though he is primarily a colorist and has the Black Magic hardware set up for it, he pointed out his preference for the pen instead of a mouse which was reminiscent of what I used so I just thought maybe using the pen instead of mouse might be a good pairing. I’ve seen other editors use the Speed Editor along with their laptop (and its trackpad). My goal was to not have my face so close to the screen for long periods of time which is why I have an IPS monitor on a shelf set back further than my laptop screen. I could just go with using the laptop and its screen, purchase a Resolve shortcut key overlay, and have the speed editor next to it. I was putting ideas out there because I’d like to close the laptop and focus on the standalone monitor while using some type of keyboard with all the features needed on it paired with a non-mouse input device. So you’re right- if it’s that important, getting a simple keyboard & mouse (or trackpad) could get it done. I just like the idea of having a keyboard with full integration buttons into the other tabs without reaching for shortcut keys or reverting back to the laptop.

And I should point out that using the mouse with the Jog icon under the viewer is also surprisingly effective.

- I’ll keep all of this in mind. Right now it looks like using the laptop with the shortcut key overlay, built-in trackpad and SE might solve it. I didn’t want to realize 12 months from now that I should have gone with the Editor Keyboard. But $600 is a bit ambitious for my taste!

Thank you again!

Return to DaVinci Resolve