Anyway to Export Footage logs/Metadata?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Samskihero

Anyway to Export Footage logs/Metadata?

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 4:33 pm

Hey Everyone.

Currently working on a large Documentary.
It's kinda funny when you think about it, You shoot 50GB worth of data over 2 days, These two day's worth of footage at first glance is kinda meaningless to anyone until it's logged and put into perspective of what the shots physically contain.

One of the biggest parts so far is just organizing and logging footage (Good takes, what it contains ect ect)

Day 1 > Camera A > Card A001 > Clips: C001 - C005 are (Scene 1A) (Description: The issue with the car with Joe)

Currently, I use Resolve it's self todo all my logging for the clips, Cards, camera used, descriptions, scene shots takes ect etc.

The Question
Is there any way I can export all this metadata into a PDF or Exel sheet with images? And Folder structures in mind?
For Assistant Editors, Directors, PA's to look at and even for myself to gauge the content?

Can you do this in Resolve? If not are their third party plugins that could?

If none, What Footage logging software would you recommend that works well with resolve?
Kyno is one of them... Which actually has a really good export function but once in resolve making adjustments to metadata seems problematic as you still maybe cant export it?

Feature Request.
I'd love to request this as a feature, Maybe re-design the import page to support a whole new outlook for logging footage?
Would be great for network collaborative Multi-editor projects to have a dedicated person who can just be in a dedicated page to Log files from Resolve it's self.

Steve Alexander

Re: Anyway to Export Footage logs/Metadata?

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 4:49 pm

Many folks use Resolve to log their footage. You can export and then re-import clip metadata via the media page but this metadata is just the text values of each metadata field. No images, etc. Any thoughts as to why an AE wouldn't use Resolve to log footage via a shared project? Yes, I know that Resolve is not the best NLE out there but if you are using Resolve for editing the footage eventually, why not use Resolve for logging?

I'm asking this genuinely to understand what it lacks and perhaps through that process, a feature request will emerge. Cheers.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Samskihero

Re: Anyway to Export Footage logs/Metadata?

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 9:13 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Many folks use Resolve to log their footage. You can export and then re-import clip metadata via the media page but this metadata is just the text values of each metadata field. No images, etc. Any thoughts as to why an AE wouldn't use Resolve to log footage via a shared project? Yes, I know that Resolve is not the best NLE out there but if you are using Resolve for editing the footage eventually, why not use Resolve for logging?

I'm asking this genuinely to understand what it lacks and perhaps through that process, a feature request will emerge. Cheers.

I've also asked this question for many years, More so now I'm on some larger Documentaries.

TLDR, Blackmagic's metadata logging is actually pretty great while a dedicated media page to just log would be really cool, I always long for detailed Logs for larger projects that really need data sheets of context to material or even physical material shot.

But as said resolve can export logs only in text exel form which works!

Return to DaVinci Resolve