FCPX XML to Davinci Workflow with Sony footage

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Courtney Birk

FCPX XML to Davinci Workflow with Sony footage

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 11:32 pm

Hello Black Magic family!

I was hoping someone on here could help me out. Let me start by saying that I am well aware of the Sony folder structure and everything has been left in place. I have edited a project with all of my files relabeled within FCPX. (I know not to rename anything in the folder structure) However, when I export my xml and bring it into Davinci, none of my video files can be found. My timeline is set to 00.00.00.00 just like my xml timeline in fcpx. And my user settings in Davinci are also set to 00.00.00.00. (not just adjusted per project)

My error message reads as follows (except it changes depending on the other clip names and locations) “Clip C001” in track A1 at 03:18:56 with reel name and file name “C001.mp4”: File not found in search directories.

Again, I have copied over the entire folder structure from my memory card to my hard drive (xmls per clip included) and have imported into final cut from those folders without relabeling any of the clips.

A couple of things to note:
I don’t use compound clips and I’m not using Multicam clips
The frame rate on both is 23.97

What I have found to be successful to sync my clips:
Converting all of the .mp4 clips into .mov and just staying away from MP4 entirely
Bringing the original clips from the m4root - clip folder into the media pool and then right-clicking into clip attributes and changing the timecode for each clip to 00.00.00.00

When I bring in those original clips into my media pool and look at the timecode on those, that timecode is corresponding to where that clip sits in the edit. Which makes sense since it’s pulling that information from the xml. However, it’s only when I set the attribute to 00.00.00.00 that the clip actually shows up and is no longer offline.

I am reaching out because those two things that I have found to be workarounds are honestly the biggest pain in the ass. Converting all of the clips to .mov takes forever and as far as redoing the timecode, you can’t select all clips and change the time code attribute. Meaning I would be changing one by one and again, that workflow is a time suck.

My question is, is there a problem in general with Sony being able to import into Davinci via xml (whether its final cut or other programs) or is there a workflow that I’m missing? Because this just seems really silly to have to go through all of these steps to make sure the clips are syncing properly. I hope I gave enough detail and that someone on here can help me out. I would really appreciate it!

Jamie LeJeune

Re: FCPX XML to Davinci Workflow with Sony footage

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 12:46 am

The .mp4 container spec never included official support for timecode. That those Sony .mp4 files have timecode on consumer cameras has always been just a hack. Resolve reads the hack one way. And FCPX does not read it the same way.

The safest workflow is just to rewrap the .mp4 files to .mov using an app like EditReady. It will simply put the existing video data inside the new .mov container and after that FCP and Resolve will read the files the same way. But you have to start there. It can't be done after the fact when you're trying to move an edited sequence between apps.

If you've already done your edit in FCPX from .mp4 and now dealing that timecode mismatch, then the best option is to use the free application CommandPost that has a feature to adjust all the source timecode from the Sony .mp4 files the FCPXML so that everything will conform when moving a sequence over to Resolve.

https://commandpost.io
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

Return to DaVinci Resolve