New user has some questions/issues

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

brechtboelens

New user has some questions/issues

PostTue Dec 06, 2022 8:34 pm

So, as the title explained I'm new (to DaVinci, not video editing - 10+ years experience) so maybe I'm tripping... But here goes:

First: whenever I try to delete a keyframe in my timeline, it deletes the entire clip. I open the "graph editor" to select a keyframe, hit delete or backspace (behavior is the same for both) and it deletes the entire clip. The only way to delete a keyframe is to put my timeline marker over it, select the keyframe, go into the Inspector and click the keyframe icon. This is a real pain. Also, sometimes it does work, but 90% of the time it doesn't.

Second: is it possible that I can not ease any keyframes except the basic ones? Position, scale, etc. When I add any type of blur effect, put a keyframe and try to ease one of those keyframes, it doesn't let me. In the Fusion tab it works, but I don't want to open Fusion every time I want to add a simple blur or other effect.

Third: I make a simple logo animation in Fusion, track it into my shot, add some other stuff like glows and whatnot and then go back to the edit tab where I want to see the end result and play it back, and it looks completely different. The blend mode seems to have changed and somehow it looked like it was on 50-ish % opacity, when in fact it was not. The way I fixed it was drag the opacity slider 10x from 0% to 100% and that fixed it, except on frame #1 where it remained seemingly in a different blendmode (this behaviour keeps changing and is not constant. Sometimes it's fixed, then I edit a totally different clip and it's messed up again).

Fourth: I have issues with very strange behaviour with quite a few effects where I am 100% certain it doesn't behave the way it should. Like add a lens distortion, put the blend on 0% and it still distorts. Turning the effect on and off a couple of time sometimes fixes it.

I even had keyframes just dissapear when I was working on some other parameter, never hit the reset button in the top right corner of the inspector, deleted anything or closed the software. They just dissapeared and this happened on multiple occasions.

I could go on with different examples but I guess I made my point... I'm just wondering if this just is how DaVinci works (or doesn't work) or should I downgrade to an older version, go back to Adobe or... what?

On a sidenote: I really love many aspects of DaVinci (hate a few others, like keyframe interface - just give me a separate panel where I can alter the keyframes instead of ON the timeline) and after dabbling a few days in Fusion I'm already hooked. The fact that everything is in one piece of software, color grading, audio options, etc is amazing! But these "bugs" I keep encountering are quite infuriating to be honest.

I sincerely hope this can be fixed and would love your help!

Thanks

I have the latest DaVinci Studio version (18.1.1 Build 7), latest Nvidia studio driver and windows 10. Intel core i9-10900K @3.70Ghz, 64GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060. Software installed on SSD970 EVO Plus, scratch disc is SSD 980 Pro 2TB and if you ask nicely I'll tell you what printer I have as well ;-)

Uli Plank

Re: New user has some questions/issues

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 2:39 am

Forget everything you know from Premiere and start over like a newborn with the help of the free training material supplied by BM.
One example: to delete keyframes, open the keyframe editing features under your timeline, click on the keyframe (it should become red) and press 'delete'. If you can't hit it, frame it (or even several ones). And please observe that there are many helpful features on the right mouse button.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Steve Alexander

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 4:32 am

I’ve seen what the OP reported regarding deleting key frames. It’s an intermittent bug, perhaps. The key frame editor is very poor and fyi, this has been discussed many times including feature requests. Other oddities such a 0% blend on a lens correction? Sounds odd. No idea.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

brechtboelens

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 11:29 am

So first of, thanks for the replies.

I made a little video to show what exactly is happening. I kept it as short as possible, as to not waste anyones time, so I only took 2 examples.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 12:21 pm

This delete keyframe/clip issue has been reported a few times so we don’t doubt people are seeing it, I just can’t repo.

Can u export a two clip dra that exhibits this issue.

Then restart the computer from a power down.

Then restore the archive and see if the fault still exists.
If so, please send a link to the dra with your NFO and logs as per the FAQs

Thanks
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Henry S

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 4:22 pm

The delete / backspace issue.
I had the same issue, I'm no a believer of keyboard short cuts ( can't remember them ) and I'm a mouse / Speed editor man :lol: , I removed almost every shortcut in the key board preferences except ( I believe ) : delete the selected, and that works for me !

brechtboelens

PostWed Dec 07, 2022 10:39 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:This delete keyframe/clip issue has been reported a few times so we don’t doubt people are seeing it, I just can’t repo.

Can u export a two clip dra that exhibits this issue.

Then restart the computer from a power down.

Then restore the archive and see if the fault still exists.
If so, please send a link to the dra with your NFO and logs as per the FAQs

Thanks

Ok, thanks. I will do so.

Any comments about the other stuff? Fusion clip coming out weird when I make an adjustment and the easing of (blur and other) effect keyframes?

Return to DaVinci Resolve