A little suggestion to help out the user?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Simnut

A little suggestion to help out the user?

PostFri Dec 30, 2022 12:58 am

I am amature video editor and quite often edit family videos for our family and friends etc. These video normally involve LOTS and LOTS of photographs, sometimes into the hundreds.

Here is my suggestion. Would be very nice to have the photograph thumbnails in the media pool marked with something to let me (the amature) know which ones are in the timeline already. Even a little red or green dot in the corner of the thumbnail. That alone would make things much easier. A further step to make it even easier is to be able to sort those used already in the media pool into one group as a person is using them.

Would that kind of thing help others out as well or is this old brain failing? lol I have been studying node editing the past week so this brain is a bit mushy. :lol:
i9-12900K - nVidia RTX3080 Ti - 32G 3600 Ram
Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" Curved VA LED Monitor

Sean Nelson

Re: A little suggestion to help out the user?

PostFri Dec 30, 2022 2:04 am

If you switch the media pool into "Details" view you can add the "Usage" column to the display by right-clicking on the column headers and selecting it from the drop-down list. You can also drag the column header left or right to position it where you want. Clips with a usage count more than 0 are being used in a timeline somewhere in the project.

Alas, to the best of my knowledge there's no way to show the usage and the thumbnails at the same time.

A manual way to do this would be to create a bin (AKA "subfolder") in the media pool called "Used clips" and drag clips into this bin as you add them to a timeline. If all the used clips are in the "Used clips" bin then you know that the clips that aren't in this bin haven't been used.

If you use this manual method and you're worried that you may have forgotten to drag clips into the "Used" bin when you added them to the timeline (or drag them out of the bin when you remove them from the timeline) then you can switch to details view, show the "Usage" column as described above, and click on the "Usage" column header to sort everything by usage count. This will group all of the unused clips (with usage count = 0) together so that it's easy to select them all and drag them where they belong - and the same applies to the used clips.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

roger.magnusson

PostFri Dec 30, 2022 2:14 am

You can create smart bins that use the Usage column.

For example:

Name: Used
Match All of the following rules:
MediaPool Properties Usage is greater than 0

Name: Unused
Match All of the following rules:
MediaPool Properties Usage is 0

Simnut

PostFri Dec 30, 2022 3:11 am

Excellent gents! I just discovered the smart bin option now of this great software. That is exactly what I've been looking for and you both went about it in two ways. The smart bin option ( I was wondering what that was) works as slick as "you know what" through a goose!

I appreciate the VERY helpful feedback!!
i9-12900K - nVidia RTX3080 Ti - 32G 3600 Ram
Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" Curved VA LED Monitor

Return to DaVinci Resolve