Face Refinement bug

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Robin Erard

Face Refinement bug

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 9:19 am

Hello,

I'm grading a feature. When I use Face refinement, I have this bug on some frames.

https://vimeo.com/787501539/6029866646

Any idea ?

Best

Robin
Robin Erard
www.rougegorge-postproduction.ch
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2831668/
Colorist, director, editor
Nord 13, 2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds
Switzerland

Marc Wielage

Re: Face Refinement bug

PostMon Jan 09, 2023 10:12 am

The first thing to check on Face Refinement is the Skin Mask. Make sure Skin Mask is on and click the Show Mask checkbox. Make sure the face is actually being outlined. I suspect you have a bad track, so you'll need to retrack it.

On rare cases, I'll have cases where for whatever reason, Face Refinement won't work, but I need to add more detail and/or an eyelight to a face. I use two oval windows in one node for brightening and/or sharpening, then a larger window with a nose cut out in the middle as a mask, and the latter is an eyelight. Each of these has to be tracked individually. I try very hard to barely touch brightning or sharpening, but I do add some eyelight on occasion.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Robin Erard

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 7:45 am

Hello Marc,

I finally found how to solve my problem. It was a "scalling process" problem. I changed from Sharp to Smooth, and it solved this issues.

Best

Robin
Robin Erard
Switzerland

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 10:05 am

Robin Erard wrote:I finally found how to solve my problem. It was a "scalling process" problem. I changed from Sharp to Smooth, and it solved this issues.

I just searched the manual and can't find "Scaling Process" anywhere. I also checked the entire Face Refinement menu and don't see anything relating to scaling. Can you detail what you're talking about?
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Sven H

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 2:18 pm

I assume you are working with linear values in this shot, since the timeline name is something with VFX in it.

With linear (especially negative) values it is possible to create artefacts with spatial operators like blurs. The face refinement uses a variety of blurs internally.

But why are there negative values in the first place? If the image get's scaled from source to timeline resolution some filters like 'sharper' increase edge contrast. With linear values this operation can result in negative values. That's why you don't see this happen if you change the scaling filter to something else like bilinear or bicubic.

Robin Erard

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 8:55 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Robin Erard wrote:I finally found how to solve my problem. It was a "scalling process" problem. I changed from Sharp to Smooth, and it solved this issues.

I just searched the manual and can't find "Scaling Process" anywhere. I also checked the entire Face Refinement menu and don't see anything relating to scaling. Can you detail what you're talking about?

Hello, you right. Sorry. It's "Resize filter"
Changing it for "smoother" solved the problem on clips with face refinement.
Best
Robin
Robin Erard
Switzerland

Return to DaVinci Resolve