Time for an updated Configuration Guide -- please!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jeff Kreines

Time for an updated Configuration Guide -- please!

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 8:31 pm

In the current Resolve release notes, Peter Chamberlain writes:

Please refer to the latest DaVinci Resolve configuration guide for details on Mac OS X support, including certified driver versions for third party hardware. It is available from http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/.

Sadly, the "latest" configuration guide is from August of 2019. It suggests many computers that are no longer manufactured. I often have to recommend systems for people setting up Resolve workstations, and it's crazy that I have to essentially research this topic and find suitable currently-available hardware to spec, rather than just let the user read an up-to-date guide from Blackmagic. I realize this is low-priority, but maybe an annual update is possible? I really need one this afternoon!
Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff@kinetta.com
kinetta.com

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

Re: Time for an updated Configuration Guide -- please!

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 3:40 am

Do you prefer Mac or PC?
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Jeff Kreines

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 3:56 am

I use both all the time. Currently I like my loaded MacBook Pro M1 — the 8TB SSD is ridiculously fast. But most of the systems I recommend are Windows based. I usually build systems from scratch but need to be able to suggest off-the-shelf systems and storage for places that want to buy them themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
jeff@kinetta.com
kinetta.com

Marc Wielage

PostTue Jan 17, 2023 10:09 am

Jeff Kreines wrote:I often have to recommend systems for people setting up Resolve workstations, and it's crazy that I have to essentially research this topic and find suitable currently-available hardware to spec, rather than just let the user read an up-to-date guide from Blackmagic. I realize this is low-priority, but maybe an annual update is possible? I really need one this afternoon!

I agree with Jeff and 100% agree that I wish the Configuration Guide would be updated for Resolve 18 (and 2023).

I sympathize with Resolve Support because trying to nail down specific CPUs and GPUs is a huge moving target.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Return to DaVinci Resolve