Stabilization (probably) causing regular crash (18.1.4?)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

TCP786

Stabilization (probably) causing regular crash (18.1.4?)

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 10:11 pm

I have a clip that I've been using in my project for a while now, but it has recently started acting up. I had trimmed it to where I wanted it to start and end, then applied stabilization to the clip in the inspector. After that, I changed the in and out points of the clip, which I have now come to realize is something that should be avoided at all costs after stabilization has been run. I think stabilization needs to be recomputed when the in and out points change, so if you forget to click it again after that, it crashes next time it tries to play the clip (maybe it's trying to recompute the stabilization in real-time or something, but at least on my machine it never goes well.)

Anyway, that's all old news to me. Here's the new issue I haven't seen before: I made the aforementioned mistake to a clip, but now I am getting the same crash everywhere I use the clip. It even crashes if I drag the original clip from the media pool into a new timeline, but only once it gets to the part of the clip that I had previously cut off and stabilized. I need this clip in my timeline, but now I literally can't put it into the timeline without crashing Resolve.

The only other idea I have is to duplicate the camera original, delete the original one from the Resolve media pool, add the new duplicate, and (maybe?) manually relink it with the timeline clips, though that last step might just break the new one too.

Has anyone seen this bug before? Any ideas for a fix that can help me keep working or a work around for next time? Also, Could this have been introduced in the 18.1.4 update? I feel like I didn't see this persistent crash problem in 18.1.3, but I could have just not made the right mistake yet.

Thanks.

Jim Simon

Re: Stabilization (probably) causing regular crash (18.1.4?)

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 10:21 pm

It shouldn't crash. That part's not normal.

Give this a good read. It goes over some things you can try, as well as what information to provide should those efforts fail.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

TCP786

Re: Stabilization (probably) causing regular crash (18.1.4?)

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 11:11 pm

Cool, thanks. Is there somewhere I can look up the error messages from the diagnostics log? Also, what's the best way to figure out which error was actually related to the crash?

Return to DaVinci Resolve