Do You Use Super Scale For Photo Slideshows

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ashton Lamont

Do You Use Super Scale For Photo Slideshows

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 11:26 pm

Super Scale is pretty straightforward when making UHD 3840x2160 from HD 1920x1080p videos. Just add 2X Super Scale having already either re-saved the existing Project Settings from 1080 to 2160 or done likewise in the Timeline. In my case for 1080p videos I usually tick the Super Scale sharpening to High rather than Medium or Low and tick the Noise Reduction to Medium. I also have the Deliver > Advance settings to tick "Force Sizing To Highest Quality" and "Force Debayer To Highest Quality"

So far so good. However I am starting to use Resolve Studio to create photo slideshows, moving from previous software such as Vegas Pro. Typically there can be 100-200 photos. Some are in landscape and others in portrait aspect. Often there can be two or three photos on one screen rather than just one. This very old slideshow is an example of what I mean; two photos together start at 00:20 and three photos together start at 01:42

The photos in my archive are 2700px x 1800px and I would rather not have to re-edit the original RAW photo files to create the aspect ratios to 16:9 and sizes to 3840x2160

I am using the Edit Page rather than the Fusion Page (need to learn that) and can easily use the Transform functionality to position each photo where I want it e.g. fill a 3:2 into 16:9 by increasing Zoom X to 1.200 and change the Position Y to raise or lower it. I am also using Dynamic Zoom to make the single landscape photos more interesting by adding movement.

Thanks if you've stayed with me so far! My question is this: is there any advantage in using Super Scale. None of the 2700x1800 photos match Super Scale 2X e.g. a single landscape photo filling 3840x2160 would be 1.422X and a one of three portrait photos would be 0.75 Zoom just 1620px high. And of course Dynamix Zoom means that the interpolation would be that much greater.

Is Super Scale striktly for 2X 3X and 4X usage or is it advantageous when the Project also requires variable interpolation within the same render. I guess this would also be relevant if you use Dynamic Zoom on video files.

Return to DaVinci Resolve