The New Imac - What option to get?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Hugh Sweeney (Huey)

The New Imac - What option to get?

PostTue Oct 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Hello Folks,

Just a quick introduction to my situation: I'm a self employed graphic designer working solely on a 17" MBP. In the last 2 years I have started doing photography for my business and since getting a decent DSLR (and lenses) I have began to film and edit my own productions. I'm relatively new to it but I'm completely hooked. I love editing and I'm very interested in getting more into color correcting. Although I just use FCPX for now, I would love to get into DaVinci resolve. And now that I'm doing more films it's making a lot of sense to try and get the BMCC as I love the camera and the fact that it's bundled with Resolve is a mega bonus.

Which leads me to this point: I have decided that I need to upgrade to an imac as my design alone justifies it and while I'm at it, why not try and get something powerful enough to handle the workflow of the BMCC camera? In the event that I may be able to afford it when it does eventually go on sale! I'm not as up to speed on the workflow of this camera as most of you on here but I do gather that a very powerful machine is required.

So I know ask: Given that the new Imac is due out very soon, what would be a good option to get with editing Raw files and DaVinci Resolve in mind? I.E. if you could customize your imac when ordering, what would the ultimate Imac be? Also, would a RAID drive via thunderbolt be recommended? and if so, what would be a nice setup that would handle editing this stuff? Budget would have to be sensible!!

Apologies for sounding a little naive but I am fairly new to this. I would greatly appreciate any tips on the questions I have asked above.

Many thanks,

Huey

Darren Abate

Re: The New Imac - What option to get?

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 2:56 am

I'm wondering about the new iMac as well. My 8-core Xeon MacPro is getting a little long in the tooth, and I would like to replace it with a 27" iMac. I'm pretty much just going to order the fastest option with the most RAM, but my question is, what about the ATI graphics card that they ship with? Does Resolve work well with it? I know that Resolve normally requires a CUDA card but what if it's not an option? Will the iMac still work for Resolve?
-------------------------------------
Darren Abate - Colorist

Hugh Sweeney (Huey)

Re: The New Imac - What option to get?

PostWed Oct 17, 2012 8:19 am

That was something I meant to say also. Any info you get, please feel free to pm me! :D

H

Return to DaVinci Resolve