Izotope Neutron 4 Unmask Mode - can it function in Resolve 1

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jump&Jive

Izotope Neutron 4 Unmask Mode - can it function in Resolve 1

PostSat May 06, 2023 1:22 pm

Am using DaVinci Resolve Studio on a MBP Max, latest Monterey and latest 18.1.4 build 9 (non-beta) version of Resolve. Within Resolve, I have routed a (dialogue) sidechain into the audio (music) track upon which I want a Neutron 4 Unmask Module to do its magic but there is no place at top right, as it is supposed to be, in the Unmask Module to select the sidechain input and no indication that the Unmask Module hears the dialogue side chain vocal input I routed to this music track - the graphics that would show sidechain has been heard by the Unmask Module and that it is operating are not present and controls in the Unmask Module therefore do not work/do not do anything. This ‘Unmask Module sidechain deafness’ (!) is the case despite that Neutron 4 EQ module on this same instance of the Neutron mothership on my music track easily ‘hears’ the other (dialogue track) instance of Neutron 4, via Izotope’s own intra-plug-in communication protocol, and therefore does not even require any sidechain to do so - I only need to select the dialogue track Neutron 4 instance as masking source within the EQ Module of Neutron 4 on the music track:no side chain routing required. Frustrating. Ideas for how to make Neutron 4 Unmask Module work properly within DaVinci/Fairlight, anyone?

Jim Simon

Re: Izotope Neutron 4 Unmask Mode - can it function in Resol

PostSat May 06, 2023 1:25 pm

Right now, we can't sidechain VST's. You can add your vote below.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=157282
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Jump&Jive

PostSat May 06, 2023 3:36 pm

Thank you for the rapid reply. Any idea if, and when, BMD may plan implement this essential functionality?
Is essential for people like me who seek to use Fairlight as a fully functioning professional DAW. Thanks.

Jump&Jive

PostSat May 06, 2023 5:20 pm

Ninety nine percent of what I do with Izotope, I do as external process in RX, meaning I send audio out of Resolve into RX, then send it back into Resolve, which means processing is not being done by or within Resolve, so avoiding any plug-in issues. Yet for those occassions when one wants to avail oneself of some of the powerful functionality of Izotope software and use it as a plug-in within Resolve, it certainly would be appreciated if BMD and Izotope would collaborate to ensure it can work nicely, and reliably, together. I have been exorting Izotope to take Resolve/Fairlight seriously as a platform an increasing number of serious users of their products use and want to use as a (nearly) one stop post working NLE/DAW. My sense is that this may not be falling on deaf ears there, and I hope BMD also may keen to facilitate cooperation. In my current situation, I have a project that I am super keen to press this excellent Neutron plug in into service for, for this modest unmasking task, which the latest version of Neutron performs wonderfully but it seems its not yet possible in Resolve. Frustrating, that, especially as my turnaround time is tight. So I inquire - and push both companies a bit!

Jim Simon

PostSat May 06, 2023 10:56 pm

We generally don't know ahead of time what BMD is working on, or what their future feature plans are.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

peterbaumann

PostSun Oct 01, 2023 7:39 am

+1 for this. Just discovered that this workflow isn't possible in Resolve (whereas it is in other software).
M1 Max Macbook Pro 16-inch (2021)
OS Monterey 12.6.1
Apple M1 Max
10-Core CPU
32-Core GPU
64GB RAM

Intel MacBook Pro 15-inch (2018)
OS Catalina 10.15.7
2.6GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
32GB RAM
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB

Jump&Jive

PostWed Mar 06, 2024 10:56 am

Still impatiently hoping that BMD and Izotope will work out how to make the Neutron 4 Unmasking Module function within DaVinci Resolve Studio, as detailed above. Will be enormously helpful for post audio mastering workflow - see prior posts from mid 2023. Thanks.

Jump&Jive

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 7:51 am

Am unable (yet) to install or work with 19 beta Resolve Studio because of delicate projects underway but if anyone happens to test the Neutron 4 Unmasking module in this new 19 beta, please report back whether the Unmask modulre works now. THANK YOU!

Robert Niessner

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:20 am

I've tried to test this scenario on my test system - but the main problem is as soon as the iZotope GUI opens it eats up all my resources and drags Resolve down to a halt.
There is now a button for sidechain on top of the Neutron 4 interface (placed by Resolve) and it seems to work but I really couldn't test it thoroughly because of the performance issue. Those issues got much worse in DVR19 compared to DVR18 or 17.

As far as I tested, iZotope is the only plugin-maker with this issue, neither Waves nor Melda Design, Sonible and others have that problem. Unfortunately I can't just install all those plugins onto my test system because of iLok license management.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Jump&Jive

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:24 am

It's a good sign that the sidechaining button now appears on the Neutron 4 unmasking module, anyway, as that was exactly what did NOT appear previously. Thanks kindly for looking at this and reporting what you see/find; I also will look into it as this beta evolves a bit further and once my works in progress make it prudent for me to proceed upgrading to 19 Studio.

Robert Niessner

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 7:05 pm

I gave a try again today and can report it works.
Used a voice over and orchestral music below and the new ducking combined with Neutron 4 Unmask did a very good job. The iZotope GUI performance issue still persists but we should report this to iZotope too.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Return to DaVinci Resolve