MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Selvli

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 8:29 am

Hi,

So I have a Macbook Pro Late 2013 running Mavericks. I'm running Mavericks because it shipped with it and supposedly it isn't smart to downgrade the os due to efi problems.

My problem is that if I run Resolve with anything that uses the gpu as well. Resolve will gradually loose performance during rendering and taking up more prosessing, ending in a total computer freeze. The problem is worst if I run the the screen size to full resolution and seems to get better if I'm not using my full screen resolution.

This does not seem to happen on my other macbook pro early 2013 though It's running Mountain Lion.

Have anyone else encountered this before or seen any fixes to this?

Thanks in advance.

Lasse Selvli

gjhoutepen

Re: MacBook Pro 15" Late 2013

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 9:49 am

I'm experiencing a similar kind of behavior with the same configuration.

It starts with 15fps and ends at 3fps, but completes the render. After completing the system freezes for 5 minutes but then wakes up again.

Avid MC 7.0.3 is also installed on this system, but even an direct import of BMPCC raw DNG's in Resolve results in this kind of behavior.

Selvli

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 10:29 am

So I figured it out. The problem was for me that Gpu processing mode was set to Auto. So I think it was swapping between The Iris card and Nvidia card. Once I set it to Cuda it became stable. And has ben running Alexa material(prores4444) at a constant speed of 30 fps.

I hope that it helps anyone else out there having this problem.

Lasse

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 28, 2014 5:37 pm

Selvli wrote:So I figured it out. The problem was for me that Gpu processing mode was set to Auto. So I think it was swapping between The Iris card and Nvidia card. Once I set it to Cuda it became stable. And has ben running Alexa material(prores4444) at a constant speed of 30 fps.

I hope that it helps anyone else out there having this problem.

Lasse

Just so others clearly understand what you did:

In System Preferences / Energy Saver, uncheck the Auto box at the top of the dialog box which will then force the NVIDIA GPU to be used at all times. Not a battery issue when plugged into electrical power but will likely affect the battery when you are running on battery power. Certainly when working on video, it makes sense to use the extra power of the NVIDIA GPU.

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 06, 2014 12:44 am

No Rick, that's NOT what he did. But for other's reference to this thread, you certainly need to do that as well.

What he did was in Resolve Preferences / Video I/O and GPU, is set the GPU processing mode selection from Auto to CUDA.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

rick.lang

PostThu Feb 06, 2014 11:41 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:No Rick, that's NOT what he did. But for other's reference to this thread, you certainly need to do that as well.

What he did was in Resolve Preferences / Video I/O and GPU, is set the GPU processing mode selection from Auto to CUDA.

Thanks for the correction, Dwaine!

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

Return to DaVinci Resolve