Dropbox Replay not showing markers on Davinci Resolve 18

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Asher123

Dropbox Replay not showing markers on Davinci Resolve 18

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 5:29 am

Hi,

I am using Davinci Resolve Studio 18 (18.1.4 Build 9) and although I have set the preferences in Davinci to connect to Dropbox and have successfully rendered a timeline and delivered (automatically) uploaded it to Dropbox Replay, after making comments and notes in Replay no markers appear on my timeline in Davinci. Davinci for some reason does not connect to Replay.

I would really appreciate your help in getting this to work. Note that I am using the latest version of Davinci Resolve Studio (ie the one prior to the Beta 18.5), and I am not keen to use the Beta as this is production work that I prefer not to risk by using the beta version.

Any help or advice you can give would be GREATLY appreciated!

EXTRA INFORMATION... if it helps:

The way I have set up Davinci is as follows:

Under Davinci Resolve Preferences > System > Internet Accounts, I only have the following as options: YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, Dropbox, Frame.io.

I have signed in at Dropbox.com, and it seemed to connect correctly.

I edited a project and from the Deliver Page, I selected "Replay 1080p" and selected "Upload directly to Dropbox Replay".

Everything worked; the timeline was rendered, saved locally on my hard drive, and also uploaded to Dropbox Replay, where I was able to mark and put comments on the project from a browser.

However when I open the same timeline in Davinci Resolve, there are no Dropbox markers on the timeline.

NOTES:
It seems that Dopbox Replay is not connecting to Davinci Resolve:
(1) My internet connection is good.
(2) When clicking on the dropdown arrow next to the Markers icon (Edit Page), there is no option for "Dropbox" or "Replay" markers.
(3) In the Deliver Page I have left the "Job 1" that I created in the queue. It is marked in green font "Upload completed". When I right-click on this job I have the option "Reveal in Browser (Dropbox Replay), and this works when I click on it, ie my browser opens and I am taken to the Replay page to comment on this timeline video. But no Dropbox / Replay markers appear in my Davinci timeline even after shutting down my computer and restarting multiple times.

HELP :-)

QUESTION:
How can I get Dropbox Replay to connect to Davinci Resolve and place markers on the timeline?

Asher123

Re: Dropbox Replay not showing markers on Davinci Resolve 18

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 6:21 am

Further testing shows that if I create small timeline of 2 minutes in duration or even a 32 minute timeline (file size 1.240GB), then everything works as it should with Dropbox Replay, ie the markers appear and there is a good connection between Davinci and Resolve.

BUT, my original timeline which is 57 minutes long (file size 4.466GB) will not connect nor show any markers from Dropbox Replay.

HELP!

Asher123

PostWed Jun 28, 2023 10:55 am

There definitely seems to be a bug here.

After spending all day today testing different scenarios, including different timeline lengths and file sizes, and testing on Davinci Resolve 18 and also on 18.5 beta 4 on the same machine, I managed to get the original timeline working with Replay and Davinci but only if I uploaded the 57 minute timeline to Dropbox Replace at 720p (file size 2.696GB) instead of the original 1080p (file size 4.466GB).

I have been in contact with Dropbox and they say that the file size should not be an issue.

So what is going on? Hopefully the Blackmagic developers will look into this.

FURTHER
It is a pity that there is no way to "link" up a timeline in Davinci with a file that has been uploaded to Dropbox Replay. The only way to do it is to upload a timeline from the Deliver Page at the time of render.

So if one right-clicks on a Timeline in Davinci that is already linked to Replay, and then selects to unlink from Replay, then there is no way to relink it to Replay. This is a problem if it is unlinked by accident and there are still many comments / markers on the Timeline in Replay that need to be addressed. There is also no way, that I can find, to export the markers from Replay in a format that Davinci can import into a timeline... and I have tried every combination just to be sure.

FINALLY
If anyone has any ideas as to why my original Timeline would not connect to Replay, please let me know.

Cheers.

AVS Film Restoration

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 12:51 pm

a month of messing around, searching the idiot web, and ........

It's still broken and just NOW I have no REPLAY connection arrows on my Internet account page.
I have YouTube to Frame IO and Dropbox, but REPLAY vanished. And it never worked reliably for long correctly.

Get it right or scrap the project!

-Frustrated in Ohio

Asher123

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:09 pm

I'm not sure how we can get this to the attention of the Blackmagic Design Resolve team for them to address these issues. Is there a way to point to this thread to them?

Having Davinci Resolve integrate well with Adobe Replay is a game changer for me.

Return to DaVinci Resolve