MacPro4,1 up grade for Resolve 10

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

timmummery

MacPro4,1 up grade for Resolve 10

PostTue Feb 04, 2014 6:22 am

I'm in the process of upgrading my MacPro4,1 for use with Resolve 10. The suite will be used for basic HD & 2.5K edits and grades.

I've added 32GB extra RAM to the machines current 8GB for a total of 40GB.

In terms of GFX cards I think I'm going to get a Quadro K5000. It's much more expensive than using a PC card option but my thinking is, that all things considered, I should buy the card that is designed specifically for my machine.

We're also currently using a Matrox MXO2LE as a breakout box (hopefully this will do the job in place of a Decklink).

I'm also looking to buy a RAID card.

So will this system will handle what we're going to throw at it (HD and 2.5K edits and grades)?

Cheers,
Tim

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: MacPro4,1 up grade for Resolve 10

PostThu Feb 06, 2014 1:14 am

The Matrox will not work with Resolve. You need to have a BMD I/O device.

Speaking strictly about Resolve, and not other apps, the EVGA GTX680 for Mac may work better for you. It's cheaper and has better performance. Its only drawback is that it's only available with 2GB of VRAM. But for your project sizes, that should be adequate. If you ever planned to do work higher than 2.5K, the 4GB of VRAM in the Quadro K5000 for Mac would be more attractive.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

David_P

Re: MacPro4,1 up grade for Resolve 10

PostThu Feb 06, 2014 4:03 am

rather than get the 2gb Mac version of the GTX680 just go for the flashed GTX680 4gb for mac. its about the same price. macvidcards on ebay has them if you check everyday one will pop up as they come and go. i have bought 2 of these from 2 different ebay sellers and have be completely happy.

david

Return to DaVinci Resolve