Shortcuts with Return key and ' key (single quote)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

allanfelipe

Shortcuts with Return key and ' key (single quote)

PostWed Aug 02, 2023 7:26 pm

Hi, I recently begun to use DaVinci Resolve 18.5 and I'm not being able to customize shortcuts with the Return and the ' keys. "Return" is simply not recognized (it does nothing when I press it to assign to a function). "'" in my keyboard/language scheme also works as the acute accent, so to make it act as single quote, another key needs to be pressed afterwards and that's what I think it's happening here, because the key needs to be pressed twice to work (for example, assigning it to Frame Forward, when I press it once nothing happens and when I press it twice it advances two frames). I know the software could handle that, since Pro Tools has no problem with that key, is this a bug? Is it possible to use these keys normally?

allanfelipe

Re: Shortcuts with Return key and ' key (single quote)

PostSat Aug 12, 2023 9:38 pm

Found this topic, so apparently there is indeed a problem with the Return Key? https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=103301

Marc Wielage

PostSun Aug 13, 2023 11:49 pm

allanfelipe wrote:Hi, I recently begun to use DaVinci Resolve 18.5 and I'm not being able to customize shortcuts with the Return and the ' keys. "Return" is simply not recognized (it does nothing when I press it to assign to a function). "'" in my keyboard/language scheme also works as the acute accent, so to make it act as single quote...

I think for all macro programs there are certain keys retained by the OS and for typing simple ASCII messages, so (my opinion) I think it's a very bad idea to try to use those same keystrokes for a one-key macro. I think you can use a modifier key like control or alt or option or shift or any number of combinations of them, but just raw "Return" by itself or "single quote" by itself is asking for trouble.

If you want to trigger an action with just one key, my advice would be to buy an accessory Streamdeck or XKeys panel and use that. You could put something like ^⇧⌥⏎ into a single button, so that would give you the functionality you're looking for without wrecking the individual Return key.

This kind of thing literally goes back to the 1980s (!!!) when macro programs first came out for PC DOS and old Mac OS, so this argument pro/con single key macros is not a new one.
Certified DaVinci Resolve Color Trainer • AdvancedColorTraining.com

allanfelipe

PostSat Aug 19, 2023 9:47 pm

Hi, thanks for the answer. I could test the use of these keys in Vegas Pro and it works without any problem. And I'm familiar with Pro Tools, which doesn't allow keyboard customization but makes use of these keys normally too. So I guess this is just something to be fixed in an update. It's not clear from the screen that these keys are forbidden.

Chaplan

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 pm

Hi, coming from Avid Media Composer and Premiere. This issue is not present in either of those 2 NLE's.
Would be nice if this was looked at.

Return to DaVinci Resolve