CUDA driver version

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

BobH

CUDA driver version

PostFri Feb 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I am attempting to try DaVinci Resolve 10 Lite on my Mid 2011 iMac. The information I could find seemed to say it might not be great but it would work. It installed without getting any complaints.

When I booted after the install I got a dialog box for CUDA Preferences that I have never seen before. It seems to be saying a CUDA driver update is required and none is available.

I went through the tutorial and it seemed to work. However when I got to rendering an output it failed saying it had not loaded a codec. I tried two or three output formats with the same failure.

I then ran the deinstaller since it appears this version will not work for me.

However, when I again booted I still got the CUDA dialog. I never got it before so it must be coming from something the DaVinci install did, and the deinstall failed to undo.

Two questions:

Obviously - how do I get the CUDA preferences dialog to stop coming up when DiVinci is no longer installed.

and Is there a way to get Resolve working on my machine, even if the performance is not great?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: CUDA driver version

PostSun Feb 09, 2014 7:07 am

What graphics are in your iMac?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

BobH

Re: CUDA driver version

PostSun Feb 09, 2014 4:51 pm

Dwaine Maggart wrote:What graphics are in your iMac?

The GPU is an AMD Radeon HD 6770M. I have the internal 27" display plus an Apple Cinema HD and an HP 2509.

But interesting developments since my post:

On a subsequent reboot while trying to get rid of the CUDA System Preference update dialog I found that it DID offer an update, unlike what I had been seeing. Installing that update has made that boot-time dialog go away (e.g. at boot a piece of code is run that checks about the version of the CUDA driver and it is now happy that I have the current version so it does not put up the dialog now).

Also, after reinstalling DiVinci Resolve 10 Lite the render failure seems to have gone away. I am unclear if the CUDA driver issue relates to this.

I wonder if the earlier inability to find a CUDA driver update might have related to a transient issue accessing the site that supports those updates or the networking to it.

A significant point though is I believe the CUDA driver and its boot time check came with DiVinci Resolve and the DiVinci Resolve uninstaller fails to remove it. It would seem some provision for that case is needed. I am pretty sure my GPU does not use the CUDA driver. I know very little about the GPU world, but I note my GPU is AMD Radeon and the CUDA stuff refers to Nvidia - aren't they competing, and different?

I am a bit more than usually sensitive about graphics support code at this point. I have been contending with a failure to wake problem that arrived just about at the Mavericks release. There is considerable discussion about it on the Apple sites. My observations and some others note a lot of log entries around the problem that point to display handling in the sleep/wake process - WindowServer crashes during wake for example. Some think/hope that 10.9.2 will have some sort of fix in the display driver area that will fix this particular problem.

Return to DaVinci Resolve