what is happening to my "offline" media here?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Patrick Abde

what is happening to my "offline" media here?

PostSat Jan 06, 2024 5:24 pm

Hi!

What's happening here? I keep getting "media offline" but they're not really offline. I just have to remind resolve that it has the media, but why? Is this a bug or some setting I should change?

New computer, MacBook Pro with M3 Pro chip.
DaVinci resolve 18.6.4
Screen recording showing this:

This happens on all my projects, both new and old ones.
ALL the media is local on the disk, no external drives.

I can even start a new project, bring in some random media, and as I start working on it, I notice the thumbnails showing "media offline" after some time. I move my cursor over a little bit, and it's not offline anymore. But then the "media offline" reappears again on random clips.

No optimized media
No proxies
Render cache set to none
Deleted all rendered cache, did nothing

This has been annoying me for weeks now, working on this project. Just visually irritating not being able to see the thumbnails, or having the screen go red for a few frames before it realizes it has the media. Just annoying. But today I finished the project and I can't seem to render the whole film because it fails on some clip and just stops. I then try to do it again but the render fails on some other random clip.
Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 16.49.44.png
Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 16.49.44.png (92.4 KiB) Viewed 6668 times

Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 18.10.18 1.png
Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 18.10.18 1.png (126.15 KiB) Viewed 6668 times

I don't know if these things are even related. If not, then I guess I have two issues? Does anyone know whats up?

Marc Wielage

Re: what is happening to my "offline" media here?

PostSat Jan 06, 2024 10:17 pm

If you're running into Media Offline problems, check these things:

1) are the drives listed correctly in User -> System -> Media Storage?

2) are there any potential filename conflicts with the source media?

3) be aware that almost all H.264 files do not have accurate embedded timecode, so that can be a potential issue (particularly combined with #2)

4) make sure the drive permissions are set correctly

5) check the file path on the Media Page for the missing files and see if you can force a relink. Highlight the files, right-click, choose RELINK MEDIA, and then choose the correct source folder.

6) if the files are H.264/H.265 10-bit, be aware that they will only play in Resolve Studio. (There's quite a few codecs that only play in the Studio version.) For a lot of reasons, highly-compressed H.264/H.265 files are not ideal for post.

7) it's possible only your render cache has gone offline. To ward against that, re-render the cache or just delete it all and then go to the deliver page and try again.

The key is to check the MEDIA PAGE. Look at the rows of media and check where the source drive is. Worst case, relink it all. We try to confine all the media for one project to one folder, so worst case, we'd lasso all the media files, right-click and choose RELINK, and choose that one folder. "In theory," it should just work. Sometimes, just closing the session and re-opening it forces Resolve to go out and check the drive and file paths, and then the session is fine again.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Robert Niessner

PostSat Jan 06, 2024 10:19 pm

Also check if the drive containing your Resolve cache has enough free space left.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Patrick Abde

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 10:49 am

Marc Wielage wrote:If you're running into Media Offline problems, check these things:

1) are the drives listed correctly in User -> System -> Media Storage?

2) are there any potential filename conflicts with the source media?

3) be aware that almost all H.264 files do not have accurate embedded timecode, so that can be a potential issue (particularly combined with #2)

4) make sure the drive permissions are set correctly

5) check the file path on the Media Page for the missing files and see if you can force a relink. Highlight the files, right-click, choose RELINK MEDIA, and then choose the correct source folder.

6) if the files are H.264/H.265 10-bit, be aware that they will only play in Resolve Studio. (There's quite a few codecs that only play in the Studio version.) For a lot of reasons, highly-compressed H.264/H.265 files are not ideal for post.

7) it's possible only your render cache has gone offline. To ward against that, re-render the cache or just delete it all and then go to the deliver page and try again.

The key is to check the MEDIA PAGE. Look at the rows of media and check where the source drive is. Worst case, relink it all. We try to confine all the media for one project to one folder, so worst case, we'd lasso all the media files, right-click and choose RELINK, and choose that one folder. "In theory," it should just work. Sometimes, just closing the session and re-opening it forces Resolve to go out and check the drive and file paths, and then the session is fine again.

Hi Marc, thanks for replying. I searched the forum before posting this so I know this is a copy/paste from you, but I think all of the suggestions above are addressed in some way in my first post.

It's only one internal drive. Everything resides on it. No filename conflicts. As I mentioned, I can start a new project right now, import some footage from, let's say, the desktop. If I just give it a few minutes of editing, I'll notice some of my thumbnails turning red, but also, like I said, they're not really offline. If I hover over with the mouse, or just play the clip, it will play and the red goes away, for a bit, or reappears elsewhere.

I'm not optimizing any media, and caching is set to none. Deleted all cache anyway but doesn't make a difference.

These files are all 10-bit, from the same camera, but I'm on the Studio version so there shouldn't be a problem there. They're all playing, it's just that some of them suddenly appear as offline when they're not. I show all of this in the screen capture (
)

Also, it doesn't matter how many times I relink the media or restart my computer. This has been going on for weeks since I got the computer. I'm on the latest version of both macOS and Resolve.

Patrick Abde

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 10:54 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Also check if the drive containing your Resolve cache has enough free space left.

Hi thanks for replying!
I don't have separate drives, everything lives on my 1TB internal drive, filling up about half of it at the moment.

Patrick Abde

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 11:12 am

Regarding the rendering issue, where it stops and fails at different clips all the time. By the way, I still don't know if these two issues are related, but I tried rendering it out MANY MANY times, and eventually managed to finish it without it failing!
I then just for the heck of it, tried again, and it failed at some random clip. It's a DIFFERENT clip every single time too, that Resolve can't "decode."

Like what's going on?? Everything is so annoyingly random and makes it impossible to troubleshoot anything, because if I just try again enough times, it works? I'm losing it.

driedeker

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 6:12 pm

m3 chip but how much memory. If you run out of memory it wants to use your drive as ram so trying to read write same time. just a thought try with external drive as a test.
Mac Sonoma
Mac Ventura
Mac Monterey
Windows 10
Windows 11
Amd Rx 6900XT Nitro +se
Intel I9-14900k
Asus Maximus Hero Z790
64GB DDr5 ram
Desktop video 12.1 on all Macs
Desktop Video 12.9 on Windows
Intensity pro 4k
Resolve Studio 19.b1
Speed Editor

Patrick Abde

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 8:30 pm

driedeker wrote:m3 chip but how much memory. If you run out of memory it wants to use your drive as ram so trying to read write same time. just a thought try with external drive as a test.

18gb ram. Have tried editing off of different external Samsung T7 ssd's. No difference at all.

John Waldmann

PostSun Jan 07, 2024 11:52 pm

Some minor versions of Resolve seem to be a little worse than others. If you’re not mid-project try rolling back to 18.5.1. Or an earlier version of 18.6.
It all depends which combo of Resolve weirdness best suits your edit. Noting, rolling back projects can be impossible due to revisions in the Resolve Dbase.
Note also that Resolve does seem to be more stable and reliable if you have a discrete cache drive, and a discrete media drive. With only incidental project files like the project library, gallery, and audio files on the internal ssd. Thunderbolt storage is best (reliability and speed) for media, while your cache drive can be the less expensive usb 10GB/s drives. macOS will occasionally dump/eject the usb. So it’s best to only use that as cache which can be easily rebuilt.

Having a big fast thunderbolt attached m.2 pcie NvMe ssd (such as an OWC or Acassis, or Orico) also allows you to use proper editing codecs like ProRes for your edit (use the independent proxy generator to create automatically. While you ingest your footage and transcode a new high quality ProRes “original” suitable for finishing. Then swap out the source original for the high quality ProRes in media manager.

Basically that removes all issues related to h.264 or h.265 which are small heavily compressed source media unsuitable for editing. But the cost is drive space. And some prep time. The colour page, and fusion, and delivery will all use your designated high quality source. So unless you do the juggle I suggest it will try to use the h.264, with less than reliable results due to timecode, and decompression issues.
Better to make your own full source clip ProRes original HQ media by import all to timeline at your preferred working resolution (at least as good as your intended delivery) with as much colour depth as possible. My current project for instance has as its h.265 transcoded to “high quality source” 4K ProRes 422 HQ in Davincince wide/intermediate. Which is a log colour space.
Thus right out of the box it doesn’t require a colour space transform onto the timeline, and minimal loss of information in transcode occurred. It grades slightly better than rec.709 h.264 8bit transcoded to rec.709 ProRes 8bit, transformed to DWG/Int. Transformed again to rec.709. Any floating point out of bounds colour “errors” only get rounded down once at the end of the pipeline so they do not multiply at every transformation of the media. So I can grade the 8bit slightly harder than otherwise.
Going to ProRes HQ originals , also bakes in timecode, so your proxies stay in sync with your “HQ originals”. If you continue use h.264 as your timeline/media pool HQ originals the timecode can drift between them causing workflow issues.

Note. I once did a bit of noise reduction on a one hour 4K clip. It ended up filling my 4TB external cache drive to 3.7TB. She. That long timeline render happened (colour page) I started with just 300GB free, and spent the next 3 hours shuffling files off the cache drive to make space. Was not fun! So buy a big relative fast SSD, or if necessary due to budget a nice big fast 7200 drive like a western Digital Black. (It would slow down caching but at least it’s better to overfill a HDD, than kill an SSD by overfilling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shrinivas Ramani

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 3:03 am

Hi

I assume you've already looked at potential file access permissions and ensured DaVinci Resolve has full disk access (or at least to those folders).

As a test in isolating the issue, if you clear the checkbox for "Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration" (under Preferences > System > Decode Options) and restart Resolve, does the problem persist?

In either case, can you make available a small project (a small sample clip and a DRP project file) and diagnostic logs zip file from the help menu? You can do this by uploading the files to Dropbox, google drive or a similar file sharing site, generating a share URL (If there are share restrictions, please ensure the setting says "anyone with link can access") and posting the URL here. This would allow us to check on an M3 Pro system here.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Patrick Abde

PostMon Jan 08, 2024 6:59 pm

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:As a test in isolating the issue, if you clear the checkbox for "Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration" (under Preferences > System > Decode Options) and restart Resolve, does the problem persist?

That seems to be it, yes!

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:In either case, can you make available a small project (a small sample clip and a DRP project file) and diagnostic logs zip file from the help menu? You can do this by uploading the files to Dropbox, google drive or a similar file sharing site, generating a share URL (If there are share restrictions, please ensure the setting says "anyone with link can access") and posting the URL here. This would allow us to check on an M3 Pro system here.

Thanks
Shrinivas

I don't think this has anything to do with a specific project. It seems to be the files. Lumix GH6 files in this case. Because even just browsing through the disks in a new project, this happens. Look:

Here are a few of those files, in case that helps.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link

Let me know if you need more files, drp or that diagnostic log thing.

Thanks!

AndreN

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 12:37 pm

Thanks for posting/investigating on this issue. I have the same problem since moving to an m3pro laptop and did more testing. It seems on my side, that the problem more often occurs on clips recorded in 50p slowed down to 25p by changing the frame rate attribute of the files in the media pool.

Did anyone of you used media with higher frame rates in that problematic scenario?

Thanks.
Andre.
Honestly, I hate editing.
Currently running DR18.6.6 studio on a MBP M3 pro 2023, Sonoma 14.4.1, 18gb RAM.
Coming from AVID. Working as DoP, editor, musician, just a guy for everything.
--
www.n13-media.de
www.instagram.com/xnthirteenx

Steve Alexander

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 1:48 pm

You can't change the frame rate attribute of a clip after it has been used in the timeline - it will go offline. Also - there is an issue with proxies if you were to generate them with the external proxy generator since it will generate them with the original clip frame rate and thus won't link to the modified frame rate within Resolve.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 2:18 pm

Patrick, I just downloaded and tested the files on Windows. All show up in the Media Pool, and no problem rendering to h264 UHD. Metadata shows nothing unusual. I take it that you are using the Studio version of Resolve as the clips are 10bit, though on a new Mac that shouldn't be a problem.
Pic shows a grab of my 2 UI screens with Metadata open.
Attachments
Untitled Project.jpg
Untitled Project.jpg (630.78 KiB) Viewed 5450 times
Last edited by Charles Bennett on Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Charles Bennett

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 2:32 pm

Andre, I sometimes use 50fps played at 25fps using Clip Attributes, and never have a problem with this in the Windows version of Resolve. I never have a need to use proxies.
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 build 20
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Steve Alexander

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 2:41 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Andre, I sometimes use 50fps played at 25fps using Clip Attributes, and never have a problem with this in the Windows version of Resolve. I never have a need to use proxies.

Good point, Charles - could be that it is only a proxy issue. I'll need to give this a try again to see where it break. Cheers.

Add - if you change the clip frame rate attribute after you've already placed a clip on the timeline, it will go offline. This is on my MacBook in my signature. Resolve Studio 18.6.4.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

AndreN

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 3:35 pm

I adjusted the frame rate of my overcranked footage in the media pool many times before on my old m1 laptop without any issues. I always did this prior to placing the clips in any timeline. I don’t use proxies.
Currently running DR18.6.6 studio on a MBP M3 pro 2023, Sonoma 14.4.1, 18gb RAM.
--
www.n13-media.de

Patrick Abde

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 4:00 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Patrick, I just downloaded and tested the files on Windows. All show up in the Media Pool, and no problem rendering to h264 UHD. Metadata shows nothing unusual. I take it that you are using the Studio version of Resolve as the clips are 10bit, though on a new Mac that shouldn't be a problem.
Pic shows a grab of my 2 UI screens with Metadata open.

Yes I'm on Studio version. This seems to be a problem mainly on the M3 pro chip. This footage works fine on PC for me too, and even the M1 mac handles it with no issue.

Patrick Abde

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 4:07 pm

AndreN wrote:Thanks for posting/investigating on this issue. I have the same problem since moving to an m3pro laptop and did more testing. It seems on my side, that the problem more often occurs on clips recorded in 50p slowed down to 25p by changing the frame rate attribute of the files in the media pool.

Did anyone of you used media with higher frame rates in that problematic scenario?

Thanks.
Andre.

What problem occurs for you? The media offline part, or the part where the rendering fails/stops?

My footage is mixed with 25p and 50p. I do not see any different behavior though. This bug occurs on clips with both frame rates.

Sam976

PostThu Jan 11, 2024 10:26 pm

I have been in contact with New Magic, the Australian distributor of black magic products about this exact issue for the past two months. I have made it my lifes mission to solve this annoying bug. I have sent countless logs, data files, and test footage to New Magic - who have then forwarded them to black magic support in Singapore. Both teams have been left stunned and confused as to what's going on.

So far, I have returned two M3 computers (onto my 3rd now), I have tried every possible solution within Davinci resolve and the only workaround solution is to turn off 'decode h.264/265 using hardware acceleration'. Which slows performance and render speeds down massively.

After also trawling through this forum every day, I'm noticing more people report the same issue on their M3 Pro computers, and no one has seemed to fix the issue without using the above solution.

I believe it is now up to Black Magic to sort this one out, apple made some massive changes to their hardware with the new M3 chips and I don't think they have optimised it well with the newer Macs. Hopefully with more users purchasing M3 Macs Black Magic will roll out an update to fix this annoying issue.

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 2:51 am

Patrick Abde wrote:This seems to be a problem mainly on the M3 pro chip. This footage works fine on PC for me too, and even the M1 mac handles it with no issue.

18 GB of unified RAM is not much for that machine. Check with the Activity Monitor if it starts swapping.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

AndreN

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 8:11 am

Patrick Abde wrote:What problem occurs for you? The media offline part, or the part where the rendering fails/stops?

My footage is mixed with 25p and 50p. I do not see any different behavior though. This bug occurs on clips with both frame rates.

Hi Patrick,
I have both problems, media is randomly offline in the timeline during playback/skimming through the timeline and also the export fails. It works fine if I disable Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration in the decode options it works fine, but system gets slow of course. So I guess it has to do with that...

I made a thread about this too (that could be merged here or deleted): viewtopic.php?f=21&t=193932&p=1007716#p1007716

Thanks.
Andre.
--
www.n13-media.de

Patrick Abde

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 9:19 am

Uli Plank wrote:
Patrick Abde wrote:This seems to be a problem mainly on the M3 pro chip. This footage works fine on PC for me too, and even the M1 mac handles it with no issue.

18 GB of unified RAM is not much for that machine. Check with the Activity Monitor if it starts swapping.

Sure, but there's no way that's whats causing this. I worked on muuuuuch bigger projects on m1 macs with 8GB memory, and on PC with 16GB.
I can restart this computer, open resolve, start new project and just browse my disk through media page and have this issue. Im not even close on running out of memory. That's not it.

Patrick Abde

PostFri Jan 12, 2024 10:29 am

AndreN wrote:
Patrick Abde wrote:What problem occurs for you? The media offline part, or the part where the rendering fails/stops?

Hi Patrick,
I have both problems, media is randomly offline in the timeline during playback/skimming through the timeline and also the export fails. It works fine if I disable Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration in the decode options it works fine, but system gets slow of course. So I guess it has to do with that...

I made a thread about this too (that could be merged here or deleted): viewtopic.php?f=21&t=193932&p=1007716#p1007716

Thanks.
Andre.

Oh, that was your thread, I see! Yes, its the hardware decoding for sure. But that's what we paid for, feels very wrong to turn it off.

Hope this gets resolved quick

Marc Wielage

Re: what is happening to my

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 4:30 am

John Waldmann wrote:Note also that Resolve does seem to be more stable and reliable if you have a discrete cache drive, and a discrete media drive. With only incidental project files like the project library, gallery, and audio files on the internal ssd. Thunderbolt storage is best (reliability and speed) for media, while your cache drive can be the less expensive usb 10GB/s drives. macOS will occasionally dump/eject the usb. So it’s best to only use that as cache which can be easily rebuilt.

100% agree. I think it's dangerous (and stressful for the drive) to shove everything -- cache, gallery stills, project files, and source material -- on a single drive. To me, that's just asking for trouble. I don't dispute that it's necessary for "on the road" project, but I think there's a balance between convenience and performance that would solve the problem.

I also blame Mac OSX Sonoma, which has brought in a bunch of security & permissions problems. I've had a theory for awhile that the drive pauses or hesitates, and in that instant the OS shuts off Resolve's ability to go out and poll the drive to check and see if the files are still there. So it's not a Resolve malfunction per se -- I suspect it's a permissions problem within the OS that's refusing to allow Resolve to look inside the drive. But I emphasize this is only a theory. We've run into a lot of stuff with OSX 14.x that's stopping us from upgrading until Apple admits and solves the problem.

Uli Plank wrote:18 GB of unified RAM is not much for that machine. Check with the Activity Monitor if it starts swapping.

I think more RAM certainly would not hurt. I've been lobbying for BMD to specify 32GB of RAM as a minimum for Resolve Studio, but no luck so far. But I don't think it would solve this ongoing "unlinked files" problem.

Uli Plank

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 5:59 am

I need to add that I stick to Monterey for a reason. I’ve yet to see that offline issue, and I think that theory about permission issues with mother Apple’s overprotective measures is not too farfetched.
Unfortunately, Monterey is not an option for M3, AFAIK.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Steve Alexander

PostSat Jan 13, 2024 1:18 pm

Weirdly, I was trying to make my media go offline by selecting a timeline clip and modifying its frame rate using the context menu 'clip attributes...'. Of course, the clip goes immediately offline when I change the frame rate. Funny thing - the context menu 'clip attributes...' is no longer available to change it back - on the edit page, at least (didn't try the color page).
Time Traveller

Patrick Abde

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 11:28 am

Shrinivas Ramani wrote:Hi

I assume you've already looked at potential file access permissions and ensured DaVinci Resolve has full disk access (or at least to those folders).

As a test in isolating the issue, if you clear the checkbox for "Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration" (under Preferences > System > Decode Options) and restart Resolve, does the problem persist?

In either case, can you make available a small project (a small sample clip and a DRP project file) and diagnostic logs zip file from the help menu? You can do this by uploading the files to Dropbox, google drive or a similar file sharing site, generating a share URL (If there are share restrictions, please ensure the setting says "anyone with link can access") and posting the URL here. This would allow us to check on an M3 Pro system here.

Thanks
Shrinivas

Did you have a look yet? Any updates?

Robert Niessner

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 12:56 pm

Patrick Abde wrote:Did you have a look yet? Any updates?

As far as I can see you have only provided some clips so far, am I right?

Shrinivas has asked for:
In either case, can you make available a small project (a small sample clip and a DRP project file) and diagnostic logs zip file from the help menu?

Otherwise it will be hard for them to diagnose anything.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Patrick Abde

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 2:58 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:
Patrick Abde wrote:Did you have a look yet? Any updates?

As far as I can see you have only provided some clips so far, am I right?

Shrinivas has asked for:
In either case, can you make available a small project (a small sample clip and a DRP project file) and diagnostic logs zip file from the help menu?

Otherwise it will be hard for them to diagnose anything.

I mean, theres nothing to the project. I said this already, multiple times, I can create a new blank project, even on a fresh install of resolve, throw a clip in and it will have this problem. I dont even need to throw anything in, just browsing the drives through media page show the same issue. Sure, i can upload a drp, I even said I could if it was really necessary, but he didnt get back to me.

Uli Plank

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 3:44 pm

He was asking for the .drp and the log.
Since not all of us are hit by the same issue, that's the only way to narrow down the issue.

Patrick Abde

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 8:07 pm

Uli Plank wrote:He was asking for the .drp and the log.
Since not all of us are hit by the same issue, that's the only way to narrow down the issue.

Are you on m3 pro?

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 9:04 pm

Patrick Abde wrote:

Are you on m3 pro?
In his very first post he says he’s on an m3 pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Patrick Abde

Re: what is happening to my

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 9:21 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:
Patrick Abde wrote:

Are you on m3 pro?
In his very first post he says he’s on an m3 pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think he ever said that?

Joe Shapiro

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 9:23 pm

Oh - by he I meant the OP which is you!
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

Patrick Abde

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 10:35 pm

anyway, here's the same link again, with more clips, drp and log
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... h2CZzr8O9v

PlancarJozef

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 4:50 pm

Hey Patrick, any luck with this issue? I have searched through all the forums and tried everything and nothing seems to help. Any trick to it? Or anyone else has found a solution (other than what people already posted) please let me know. The old M1 mac mini works without any problems. (What is the oldest OS i can download on my m3 macbook pro? it might an issue connected to that.) I use footage from Sony A74. (Codec: H.264 High 4:2:2 L5.2 50fps, 3840x2160. 10-bit) Thank you.

Uli Plank

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 9:44 pm

According to MacTracker, you can go back to Ventura on the earliest M3 ones, the 15,3 model. Later ones are out of luck. If yours can, it might be worth a try.
But then, maybe Sony, BM, and Apple need to sort this out, seems to happen with those files specifically.

Marc Wielage

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 1:24 am

Sam976 wrote:So far, I have returned two M3 computers (onto my 3rd now), I have tried every possible solution within Davinci resolve and the only workaround solution is to turn off 'decode h.264/265 using hardware acceleration'. Which slows performance and render speeds down massively.

My opinion: I think this is an Apple Sonoma problem and not a Resolve problem. We've seen all kinds of issues with Sonoma, and it's holding us back from upgrading. There are a not of difficult security and permissions problems with Sonoma concerning disk access. We have definitely seen issue where OSX makes it difficult to give everybody read/write permissions on internal drives. External drives are generally no problem.

The fact that these files are H.264/H.265 files is another clue. I know I'm often a broken record about this, but file formats like that are bad for post. You shouldn't have problems with raw files from Alexa, Blackmagic, Canon, Red, or Sony cameras, especially the ones with embedded timecode. Our standard workflow is to convert all incoming client H.264 files to same-res ProRes 422... and then there's no problem. Usually.

Steve Alexander

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 1:56 am

I thought there was a suspected issue with the hardware encoder/decoder in the M3 but maybe it’s that combined with Sonoma. Hard to separate the two.
Time Traveller

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 2:13 am

Unfortunately, you can't go back to Sonoma with models after 15,3.
Regarding rendering, try to use HandBrake, set to "VideoToolbox". If it doesn't happen there, it might be up to BM to fix.

Patrick Abde

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 2:23 pm

No luck yet. No updates have addressed this either. Dont think its the codecs at all. They all work on other systems perfectly fine. Btw, I also get this issue with jpg images.

Im honestly still just waiting for devs to comment on this. If it was an Apple issue, maybe they should've just come out and said that? We could have returned this laptop and up/downgraded to any other of the m-chips instead of waiting in silence for a potentially never occurring fix.
I feel like I was robbed months ago, and have been standing outside waiting for the police to arrive. Where are they? Should I just leave or keep waiting? Hello?

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 1:04 am

The best way I’ve seen to get BMD’s attention is to try corresponding with Dwaine. He actually works for BMD so does have access to the dev team.
Resolve 18.6.6

Patrick Abde

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 6:45 pm

Just updated to 19 Beta. Solved nothing.

Please, BMD, adress this.

joema4

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 7:04 pm

Patrick Abde wrote:Just updated to 19 Beta. Solved nothing...

Patrick, I tested all your files on an M1 Ultra and M2 Pro, both on Sonoma 14.4.1, and I don't see the problem. As already discussed, it may be specific to the M3 series.

Your logs show the error (for example): VTDecompressionSessionCreate mx5p return -12906

That is a MacOS function in the Video Toolbox framework. The error -12906 corresponds with kVTCouldNotFindVideoDecoderErr in VTErrors.h.

VTDecompressionSession is a MacOS Class in the Video Toolbox framework. It takes the compressed video data and converts it into a format for subsequent processing. It essentially unpacks the video from its compressed form and makes it ready for use. Video acceleration is automatically used during VTDecompressionSession, but the the programmer has the option to "opt out" and use software-based decoding if needed. This is done by setting specific properties or flags when creating the VTDecompressionSession.

These are the parameters of your material:
- UHD 4k/25.0 10-bit 4:2:2
- Bit rate: 150 megabit/sec
- AVC/H.264
- 1 reference frame, M=1, N=12
- M = Distance between I-frames
- N = GOP length, 12 frames in this case
- Uses closed (aka independent) GOPs

There is nothing unusual or incorrect about the above encoding format.

If the files and project you uploaded consistently reproduce the error on your M3 machine, then Resolve developers should be able to reproduce that on an M3-family CPU. If they have downloaded that and cannot reproduce it on M3, we need to know that.

I could work with you to obtain more debug information, but if Resolve development can reproduce the problem, there is no need for that. If they don't have an M3 machine, they need to get one.

gabeee

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 12:55 pm

Would also just like to add that i too have been experiencing this problem. On an M3 Pro and kept getting random media offline flashes on only my Sony H.264 clips. My Gopro clips had no issues and they were 60 FPS H.265 clips. Initially after some research I thought the problem was due to putting 50FPS clips on 25FPS timeline. Even after using handbrake and shutter encoder, the cliph still had media offline but happening at a lesser frequency.

In addition, I created a new 50 FPS timeline (instead of 25 FPS) on Resolve but still media offline flashes.

Upon reading this whole thread i unchecked the Decode H.264/H.265 using hardware acceleration and that seems like it has resolved the issue but at the cost of rendering out my video at a slower speed.

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 1:16 am

Did you try 19, Gabriel?
While it didn't help Patrick, it would be interesting to narrow the issue down.

gabeee

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 2:03 am

I have not yet tried out 19 and am still on Ver 18 of Resolve. Will definitely post here once I do try that out. Cheers!

joema4

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 2:33 am

Several people have reported this and I suspect it is a real issue isolated to the M3 family.

There were some enhancements to the video engines on M3. Some third-party tests showed increased decode/encode performance in certain areas, possibly involving segmentation of input and output streams for increased parallelism.

How that is handled from a programming and synchronization standpoint is unclear. But anytime you add features like that, software adjustments (sometimes undocumented in the API) may be required. There have previously been some issues with the parallel engines on the M1 Max and M1 Ultra (now fixed) which caused incorrect frame order when rendering temporal effects.

I would do more work on this M3 issue but I don't have an M3. There have been files uploaded which supposedly allow replication of the problem. I tested those on M1 Ultra and M2 Pro, and it doesn't happen. I also wrote a utility to inspect if the uploaded video files showing the problem are damaged or used "open GOP" structure, which is harder to decode than "closed GOP" structure. No problems were found and all the files used closed GOPs.

If Resolve development has an M3 they should be able to fix it based on that, unless it's a MacOS or an M3 microcode issue. If they don't have an M3 I could work remotely with someone who has one and is experiencing the problem to obtain more debugging information.

Uli Plank

PostTue Apr 16, 2024 3:23 am

Thanks for such detailed technical background, Joe.
I'm quite sure they got one, looking at the close co-operation when Apple was presenting M3.
Did anyone with an M3 already test such files with 19?

Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve