18.6 has a bunch of bugs!

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

michaelplzno

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 11:47 am

Hi all, I'm wondering if there is a way to move back to an older version? When I export video for 18.6 some of the rendering is glitchy unless I use .mov container. Also, I was getting a "Media not found" error on one of my clips that cut in and out and made editing unpleasant. Any word on when this will be fixed, or if I can downgrade to legacy stable versions?

Jim Simon

Re: 18.6 has a bunch of bugs!

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 3:59 pm

If you're interested, maybe we can help you sort things out with 18.6.4.

Post up some specs for your hardware, media, timeline, deliver settings, etc.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Charles Bennett

PostFri Jan 26, 2024 7:42 pm

Michael, why do you assume it is a Resolve problem and not your computer configuration or the footage itself?
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 build 25
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Leslie Wand

PostSat Jan 27, 2024 1:58 am

+1 charles
www.lesliewand.com.au
amd5 5800x / 32gb ram / rtx 3050 8gb / win 10 pro
sony ex3, sony a6400

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jan 27, 2024 4:15 am

michaelplzno wrote:Hi all, I'm wondering if there is a way to move back to an older version? When I export video for 18.6 some of the rendering is glitchy unless I use .mov container. Also, I was getting a "Media not found" error on one of my clips that cut in and out and made editing unpleasant. Any word on when this will be fixed, or if I can downgrade to legacy stable versions?

Over at this link, I posted some warnings about things you have to do before updating Resolve with a new version:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=125045

[This applied when updating from Resolve 16 to 17, but the same cautions exist when updating from Resolve 18.x to 18.6. Use caution, create a lot of backups, be ready to revert if you run into issues.]

In truth, a lot of these things also apply to other kinds of software like Premiere, Avid, PCPX, all kinds of software where old session files may or may not work with new software.

Answer these questions about your glitchy renders: Which hardware (CPU, GPU, RAM, disk I/O)? What OS? What source file codec? What timeline settings (res and fps)? What framerate? How does your drive rate with Blackmagic Speed Test? Which GPU drivers are installed? What format are you trying to render to? Do you have any Fusion compositions in the timeline?

90% of the time, there are workarounds and it can work, given modern operating systems and powerful hardware. My joke is, "there are very few Resolve problems that aren't solvable by throwing lots of money and hardware at the situation." In truth, if you carefully follow the right guidelines on workflow -- avoid stressful source formats, render at slow speeds, use extremely fast drives, be careful how much processing you dump on the clips -- it can work absolutely flawlessly. I just broke the rules and had a small home project where I needed to render some standard-def H.264 files and uprez them slightly to 720P, and damned if it didn't render at 500fps on a Macbook Pro M1 -- it was like a bat out of hell. So under the right circumstances, Resolve can really fly.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Darryl

PostSat Jan 27, 2024 9:03 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Michael, why do you assume it is a Resolve problem and not your computer configuration or the footage itself?

Yes - good question. Speaking as an ex developer of corporate systems, I can confirm that users always blame the software regardless of the actual cause of the problem. As a rule of thumb, the less information provided about the problem, the less likely it was to be a software issue.

My "favourite" problem description: "It's not working!" After getting the end user to define "not working", the problem ranged from something not even starting to the system doing things different to what they expected.

As a note to my own comments, not so long back we had a major telecommunications outage, but I believed we were largely unaffected. The next day Resolve was misbehaving badly - it was loading projects but not saving them. I thought Resolve had somehow become corrupted or similar. A day of trouble shooting later, I found it was our network configuration that had been corrupted. Resolve could read the database but not the source video files, and that was the root cause of the problem.

No - it's not always the software.

Darryl
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

michaelplzno

PostSat Jan 27, 2024 8:43 pm

Hi, I wasn't going to post specifics till I understood the tone of the forum here. Sadly, a lot of forums are full of arrogant tech bros who want to avoid fixing problems instead of getting to work. This is the second time I had to post this because I put a link in the post and your system deleted it.

My Computer Is:
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22645 Build 22635
Intel Core i9-10920X CPU 3.50 Ghz 12 cores.
128 GB of ram
Asus Prime X299-A II Mobo.

I can provide a link to the actual clip in question, I can't put the link in this post though. I can also provide my Davinci editor files if needed. Sadly, sometimes the "Media not found" error popped up a few times and the resulting export was wrong with some glitchy features. I suppose it is theoretically possible that my hard disk is failing, but the clip in question plays perfectly in VLC from the same location.

Just let me know how to get the clips to you so you can check if the footage is bad.

I am a software developer by trade.

sebastianodibusti

PostSun Jan 28, 2024 12:03 am

This week I was doing an important project, and I started adding material with alpha, in png and quicktime rgba formats, everything was going perfectly until at one point I activated the cache memory and everything collapsed, I saw black anomalies on the screen,

I had I had to deactivate the cache, delete it and then try to continue editing, but unfortunately now I had a problem, my images with alpha looked disastrous, with a horrible black border (and it was not a problem with post multiplication), nothing came out,

I tried several things and I had no solution, until it occurred to me to create a new timeline, copy and paste the elements and that's it, problem solved, my question is: why did this error only affect the previous timeline?

Yes I copied everything to the new one and it was solved, but if I went back to the previous one the error came back, something really annoying, considering that both timelines have the same specifications and formats, does anyone else know about this problem or something related? thank you so much

error: https://i.imgur.com/2vRYu8h.png

fixed in new timeline: https://i.imgur.com/T0oIRHz.png

Jim Simon

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 3:55 pm

You don't list your GPU, Michael. That's a critical component for working successfully in Resolve.

For now, you can just list the specs of the clip that's going weird. From what camera?

Also, what's your storage situation like?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Dermot Shane

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 4:45 pm

@ Michael:
"media offline" is 99% a disk access issue
are you reading and writeing with the same disk?
if so, can you test limiting the render speed in the deliver page?
that might account for editing at 24fps without issue, and rendering at 500fps with issues,
or remove it from the list of possiable issues
to get a link to work try putting a space in the URL
+1 to listing GPU and disk subsystem

@ Sebastian:
create a new timeline, copy and paste the elements and that's it, problem solved, my question is: why did this error only affect the previous timeline?

what format was cacheing set to in the orginal timeline?
Last edited by Dermot Shane on Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noerde

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 4:53 pm

There are some difficult to debug errors with Resolve (as with any other software) but I think this is similar to what others have reported in not so distant past. So it might be a bug.

Anyhow, I think it could narrow it down if you downgraded to 1.5 for example, as far as I know the project files are compatible. Make database/project backups just in case or separate installs completely.

But also driver versions, compatibilities etc. can cause weird stuff. have you upgraded GPU drivers, has there been Windows updates etc.

sebastianodibusti

PostMon Jan 29, 2024 5:37 pm

Dermot Shane wrote:@ Michael:
"media offline" is 99% a disk access issue
are you reading and writeing with the same disk?
if so, can you test limiting the render speed in the deliver page?
that might account for editing at 24fps without issue, and rendering at 500fps with issues,
or remove it from the list of possiable issues
to get a link to work try putting a space in the URL
+1 to listing GPU and disk subsystem

@ Sebastian:
create a new timeline, copy and paste the elements and that's it, problem solved, my question is: why did this error only affect the previous timeline?

what format was cacheing set to in the orginal timeline?

thnx for your answer, my file cache format: https://i.imgur.com/1aJflXH.png

Paul Fisher

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 12:09 am

Charles Bennett wrote:Michael, why do you assume it is a Resolve problem and not your computer configuration or the footage itself?

No bugs in 18, none
WORK MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
2 TB Glyph and other thunderbolt SSDs

PERSONAL MACHINE:
MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2021
Apple M1 Max 64 GB - Sonoma 14
4 TB internal SSD

okiewardoyo

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 1:01 am

michaelplzno wrote:Hi all, I'm wondering if there is a way to move back to an older version? When I export video for 18.6 some of the rendering is glitchy unless I use .mov container. Also, I was getting a "Media not found" error on one of my clips that cut in and out and made editing unpleasant. Any word on when this will be fixed, or if I can downgrade to legacy stable versions?

Here what i did when i got same problem :
1. Uinstall your REsolve
2. Download latest new fresh from Blackmagic and install it.
3. Update your GPU driver.
4. Done
Begin using Resolve in Mon May 02, 2022.
All of Software in the world are just tools. No perfect Software. Use it if it works for you.
Resolve 18.6 | Raizen 7, 40Gb Ram, RTX 3060, Win 11

michaelplzno

PostThu Feb 01, 2024 1:14 am

My GPU is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060.

I will try reinstalling and editing from a different hard disk.

michaelplzno

PostThu Feb 01, 2024 1:43 am

I've moved the file I'm editing to the C: drive to ensure that hard disk delay isn't the culprit.

I also updated my graphics driver and reinstalled Davinci v18.6

The drive is one of those little sticks you add to the mobo.
Samsung ssd 970 evo 1tb

The clip I'm editing (This happens on multiple clips and clips from different HD) but the clip is 60 fps and 443 MB its an MKV Is there a tool that will tell how its encoded?

Also my GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Charles Bennett

PostSat Feb 03, 2024 2:49 am

If you select the clip in Resolve and open the Metadata window, it should show you the codec in use.
This is an example with an MP4 clip.
Metadata.jpg
Metadata.jpg (105.02 KiB) Viewed 3909 times

You could also download the free MediaInfo tool which gives a lot more information.
MediaInfo.jpg
MediaInfo.jpg (174.05 KiB) Viewed 3896 times
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 build 25
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

Tony359

PostSat Feb 03, 2024 2:40 pm

When I get the "media offline" error, it's usually lack of space on my cache disk or the cache has gone wonky.

Try deleting the cache - from the GUI or, better, the whole "cacheclip" folder manually, with Resolve not running of course.
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6
Ryzen 5700X - 32GB RAM - 1.5TB Sata SSD - RTX 3070 8GB
Windows 10 22H2

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Feb 03, 2024 5:58 pm

This is another one of those “low hanging fruit” issues that BMD could easily address by telling the user when space gets low on an important drive.

One of those usability features that may happen one of these years.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

GamerKitty Euphoric

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 4:37 am

Tony359 wrote:When I get the "media offline" error, it's usually lack of space on my cache disk or the cache has gone wonky.

Try deleting the cache - from the GUI or, better, the whole "cache clip" folder manually, with Resolve not running of course.

99% of the time for me it's a stupid cache error :| when something renders to the cache improperly, it doesn't override properly -- and because of that, you get all kinds of weird glitches. It's easy to tell if it's cache by clearing all cache and starting over. Typically the issue will fix.

Another oversight that could easily be fixed by DR BMD by helping us understand the problem in the first place :/
Link to NFO File https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vZTDFIJdy2RPNNZ7qNijLBJ4aB9hzBqJ?usp=sharing

I am in Love with Davinci, but my god does it hate me sometimes.

GamerKitty Euphoric

PostSun Feb 04, 2024 4:37 am

Joe Shapiro wrote:This is another one of those “low hanging fruit” issues that BMD could easily address by telling the user when space gets low on an important drive.

One of those usability features that may happen one of these years.

Not before they add in AI Auto-Generation for video :|
Link to NFO File https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vZTDFIJdy2RPNNZ7qNijLBJ4aB9hzBqJ?usp=sharing

I am in Love with Davinci, but my god does it hate me sometimes.

michaelplzno

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 9:57 am

I tried deleting my CacheClip folder and moving it to various places and that didn't fix anything.

Here is a video of the error occuring:

Tony359

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 7:09 pm

Interesting.

Random thoughts
- Can you open task manager and monitor the computer resources (CPU, RAM etc) while working?
- Can you try closing all the other apps in the background? I am not suggesting DR can't work with other apps, it's just you're using the free version of resolve so EVERYTHING falls on the CPU :)
- Is it any better after a reboot?
- Can you try with a different clip?

How big and how long is your clip?

I do see every now and then something like that - DR freezes for a few seconds, but then it recovers. It happens rarely and doesn't feel like a major issue which is likely caused by a momentary lack of resources on my system.
Windows 10 22H2

michaelplzno

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 8:43 pm

Right now, I'm uploading some old video footage to google drive to clear out space on my HD in case not enough cache space is the issue. That should take about a day or so. My C drive has only twenty-two gigabytes free, which should not be a problem right?

I'm trying to reduce the amount of cache my google drive takes up on C so that might also give me more space to work with.

I have another few clips that also have issues. Some of them were taken with an iPhone, some of them are with my OBSBOT webcam through OBS.

The clip I used in my video is 443 MB and 12:31 minutes long.

Once I've cleaned up all the space issues and made sure there is a giant cache space. Then I will close all applications and try again with the resource monitor running.

edit: here is a link to the clip so you can see if editing it works on your computer https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PKQx3xrVy_cfyFW56y_S6_lUmZCJBzy-/view?usp=sharing

Tony359

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 10:01 pm

22GB should be ok for a test but a software like Resolve will probably use that in a very short time - particularly if you have Render Cache enabled.

Bear in mind that when Video editing is involved, everything becomes "too small" or "too little" :)

That said, if you don't see the drive approaching to zero, I don't think this is your problem.

I've experimented with your clip and had zero issues but I am on Resolve Studio.

Your system should be capable of dealing with everything - still, I'd check with Task Manager what the CPU is doing when you edit.

Also, download CrystalDiskMark and check your SSD speed - you never know :)

Oh - what is the resolution of your timeline?
Windows 10 22H2

Noerde

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 10:24 pm

michaelplzno wrote:I tried deleting my CacheClip folder and moving it to various places and that didn't fix anything.

Here is a video of the error occuring:

Move your stuff out of onedrive folder

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 10:30 pm

Hi Folks
First off, even in the free version almost everything falls on the GPU. Unlike Premiere, Resolve doesn’t have a non-GPU rendering pipeline. That’s why it won’t run at all if the GPU isn’t good enough.

Secondly, Media Offline doesn’t necessarily mean media is offline. (sigh)

The Media Offline red frame of death (tm) just means that somewhere, for some reason, Resolve couldn’t render that frame. One of those QOL requests that’s been there for years is to give users a more specific message about what ACTUALLY stopped the frame from being rendered. Media offline is just a very common reason rather than Resolve actually knowing that that’s what went wrong.

Since the exact same frame was just rendered moments before and after I think it’s a pretty good bet that media offline is NOT what’s going wrong. My best guess is it’s GPU related - either you still have the wrong driver (most recent isn’t necessarily the right one) or the card is running low on memory but not so low that it’s triggering that Resolve warning. The latter is just a guess - I don’t know for sure that that can happen.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6

Tony359

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 11:00 pm

Oh gosh yes! Keep Onedrive away from Resolve stuff!

Hi Joe,
If not mistaken the Free version doesn't use the GPU decoders so when playing H264 everything falls on the CPU, correct? I remember seeing a noticeable drop of use of my CPU when I moved to Studio.

Anyways the video shows some major issues as Resolve seems very slow and eventually even crashes. That's why I was curious to see what the HW was doing in the background.
Windows 10 22H2

Joe Shapiro

PostMon Feb 05, 2024 11:29 pm

The free version doesn’t use hardware acceleration for H.264 and I think H.265. It still does the whole image pipeline on the GPU though. Studio adds these and other features - many GPU-oriented - but Resolve Free is still a very heavy user of the GPU. I think this total reliance on the GPU is the main reason why it’s harder to get Resolve to work on many systems.
Resolve 18.6.6

michaelplzno

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 5:43 am

I've tried it with my cache / files both inside and outside one drive. Note that I didn't have this issue when I was on an earlier version of resolve. But I have also updated windows since then as well.

Shortly I will disable one drive just to make sure and disable google drive as well.

Is there a way to download older builds?

Also how do I check my timeline resolution?

Also, how do I know what the correct driver for my GPU is?

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 6:08 am

michaelplzno wrote:Is there a way to download older builds?

Also how do I check my timeline resolution?

Also, how do I know what the correct driver for my GPU is?

– Yes, scroll down on the support page, it goes back to years ago.
- It's in the Metadata, which are displayed on the right when it's selected in the Media Pool.
– Look for other users with the same GPU who found a good driver.

Your clip is in a pretty crappy container, try this version:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/cozqk04q ... u8hfe&dl=0
That said, both play smoothly on a Mac, but you'll need Studio on a PC.

For rendering, use MOV or MP4.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Tony359

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 11:44 am

I'd make some space on your SSD.

SSD's won't perform as good when they're full. If I remember right they're fast at reading but deleting and writing is a different story so they tend to "mark" content for deletion and do that when not being used. I think it's called the TRIM feature.

If the SSD is 99% full, it's forced to delete stuff immediately and that will affect the overall performance. Your results are good but given that you are using your System SSD for everything (OS, Cache and Media), you definitely want to get more space.

As a minimum, get a separate SSD (even a SATA one would do) and use it for Resolve :)

Your MoBo has two M.2 slots for SSDs, I'd get another one - doesn't have to be the top of the line - and use it for Resolve.

But make some space first and maybe reinstall Resolve from scratch - you'll find videos explaining you how to do that properly. I am not saying DR won't work with your current configuration.
Windows 10 22H2

michaelplzno

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 8:21 am

Cleaned up the google drive cache, will buy another SSD because why not. Trying to edit again. Wish me luck.

michaelplzno

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 9:01 am

So, I'm going to concede that now older builds of resolve are affected with the same bug, I went back to 18.5 and it's still misbehaving.

This makes me think there is an issue with windows or my graphics card (Both of which I have updated) that may be causing this error with possibly all versions of DR.

It is strange that only DR seems affected by this bug. I do notice some flickering on my screens at times and a checkered pattern. Maybe my GPU is failing.

Not sure how to fix this other than to get a new editing software though.

p.sudakovs

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 10:47 am

From the issues seen - my bet is that there is a problem with the GPU. To one up this - it could be as simple as PCI-E misbehaving because of corroded pin somewhere or dead-end like faulty gpu-memory :roll:

How to prevent this by not playing lottery - is to choose different level of hardware. Think workstation systems with ECC memory and more robust motherboards and GPU cards that come with ECC. Cooling is also important for stability and longevity. If this is not an option - then maintenance and keeping things clean and corrosion free is a good place to start. I have saved systems just by cleaning contacts with IPA and then applying corrosion inhibitor like "kontakt chemie 61". This is something that is not being talked about frequently but in my experience has been critical. Hunting for software ghosts is usually easier when the hardware is running smoothly.

Hope this helps. All the best!

Uli Plank

PostSat Feb 10, 2024 10:50 am

Checking the thermal paste of the GPU is another point to consider.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Tony359

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 10:59 am

I really don't think it's a HW issue.
Checking GPU thermal paste is always a good idea but before you disassemble things, you can just monitor the GPU temperature. If it's fine, you're fine.

If the GPU had contact issues on the slot, it wouldn't work at all or you'd experience severe crashes by just using Windows. Still, you can run some benchmarcks (Unigine Heaven is one or the suite at the "Kombustor" to check your GPU stability and its temperature).

The "easy" way to ascertain your problem might be to do a temp install on a temp drive. Install Windows, install drivers, install DR and test. That would remove many variables. Even a spinning HDD would be ok for a quick test if you have one laying around.

Bottom line: before you start spending money on your system, go to the basics. Resolve worked fine on a VERY old laptop of mine, with integrated graphics - well, "fine" is an overstatement but much better than you are experiencing.
Windows 10 22H2

Uli Plank

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 12:06 pm

GPU-Z is a free program to watch over your GPU.

CougerJoe

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 2:39 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Hi Folks

The Media Offline red frame of death (tm) just means that somewhere, for some reason, Resolve couldn’t render that frame. One of those QOL requests that’s been there for years is to give users a more specific message about what ACTUALLY stopped the frame from being rendered. Media offline is just a very common reason rather than Resolve actually knowing that that’s what went wrong.

It's a Resolve VP9 problem too, GPU decoding stops for a brief period the decoder spikes to find the next frame.

Tony359

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 2:52 pm

Can I assume you have the Studio Version?

If not mistaken the free version doesn't use GPU HW decoders/encoders. The OP is using a free version.
Windows 10 22H2

CougerJoe

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 3:00 pm

Tony359 wrote:Can I assume you have the Studio Version?

If not mistaken the free version doesn't use GPU HW decoders/encoders. The OP is using a free version.

That's right, a GPU decoding problem of VP9, turn of GPU decoding, no Offline but sluggish editing at 4K

neurone

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 5:43 pm

I'm running: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K, Z790 GAMING X AX, 64GB, GTX4070 with Win11.
Installed Studio 18.6.5, starts up, five seconds later crashes out.
Uninstalled completely, re-installed. No change.
Re-installed Nvidia production drivers. No change.
Restored entire OS from earlier backup, updated again. No change.
Uninstalled 18.6.5.
Re-installed 18.6.4.
Working perfectly.

Tony359

PostSun Feb 11, 2024 8:14 pm

You might want to open a new thread also attaching logs as this is a very old thread referring to 18.6.0!

I haven't updated yet, after 18.6.0 I learnt it's better to wait a week or so while keeping an eye on this forum before doing so :)
Windows 10 22H2

michaelplzno

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 2:47 am

I was a bit misleading because my initial issue was with 18.6.4

I've tried 18.6.5 and 18.5.0 to see if different versions work.

I may just give up on DR because it seems incompatible with my machine for some reason.

RCModelReviews

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 2:54 am

michaelplzno wrote:I may just give up on DR because it seems incompatible with my machine for some reason.

A lot of people forget that DR isn't the only game in town and, to be honest, it's a lot more than 99% of non-professional users actually need. There are a raft of other editors that are less taxing on hardware (Capcut for example) that may be far better suited to those who just want to splice some video with a few fancy transitions and effects.

Don't use Resolve simply because others are using it -- chose your video editing software on what works best for *YOU*.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Uli Plank

PostTue Feb 13, 2024 3:07 am

I second that, it's not the only game in town.
While your 3060 GPU should work reasonably well in HD, there may still be a driver issue. DR is very finicky in that regard, being optimised for speed instead of broadest compatibility.

michaelplzno

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 7:39 am

I've sadly moved on to "CapCut" which has a nice ui and functions correctly on my machine. Thanks everyone.

Steve Alexander

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 1:38 pm

michaelplzno wrote:I've sadly moved on to "CapCut" which has a nice ui and functions correctly on my machine. Thanks everyone.

Good luck, Michael. I hope you check back in and let us know how it's going with CapCut.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

michaelplzno

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 4:31 pm

Here's two videos I did with CapCut. It has a lovely "Person Cut Out" system for green screening:

Also, the keyframes are quite easy to use.

Here is what I did with the "problem clip" in this thread:

CapCut doesn't have as fancy audio processing in the free version, so when I sped up my audio, I had to sort of fudge the pitch down a bit. Also, the color correction doesn't have the histograms that DR has. But it works really well on my machine so far.

Steve Alexander

PostWed Feb 14, 2024 4:49 pm

Very cool. Glad you found a toolset that meets your needs!
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve