Color issue with Iphone 15 pro max

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Jakepanza

Color issue with Iphone 15 pro max

PostTue Feb 06, 2024 4:06 am

Hi there,

I recently filmed a few vidoes on my iphone 15 pro max using 4k 60 fps. When I uploaded the media into davinc, the coloring was way off - I tried playing around in the color space transform, but couldn't find a match. Does anyone know the correct inputs and outputs? Let me know, thanks in advance!

Uli Plank

Re: Color issue with Iphone 15 pro max

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 1:36 am

Do you know which app and which settings you used in the phone?
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Jakepanza

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 1:49 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Do you know which app and which settings you used in the phone?

As for the app I used the default camera app. For the setting I used 4k 60 fps in the regular video option, not cinematic. Looking at the info it says the color profile is BT.2020 HLG (9-18-9). Encoding software is 17.1.1. Codecs are MPEG-4 AAC, timed metadata, HEVC. Not sure if that helps - if there's anything else I need to look up let me know. Thank you!

Bill1990

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 pm

this i would like to know too, i have the same problem

Ugo Laurenti

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 8:20 pm

I thing you have to use a CST (Color Space Transform) node at the beginning of your node tree, from BT.2020 HLG (the color space of the iPhone 15) to whatever color space you prefer to use for grading. BT.2020 HLG is much larger than Rec709 so my raccomendation is to create a chain of nodes that begins with a CST with a BT.2020 HLG > DWG (DaVinci Wide Gamut) transformation and ends with a CST with a DWG > Rec709 (or whatever is your monitoring color space) to actually see what you're doing.
PC Gigabyte z390, i9-9900k 3,6MHz,32Gb, Zotac 1080ti, Decklink MiniMonitor, Eizo CG2420 Windows10Pro, Resolve Studio 18.5.1, Tangent Element Panel Kit, MB Air m1.

Uli Plank

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 1:30 am

The iPhone will do a lot of ‘enhancements’ to your footage in that mode, though, like edge sharpening and tone-mapping.
If you plan to get serious about grading, better record ProRes 422 in log. The iPhone will then leave your footage pretty much as it is and DR has the right CST for this too.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 9:12 am

Jakepanza wrote:I recently filmed a few vidoes on my iphone 15 pro max using 4k 60 fps. When I uploaded the media into davinc, the coloring was way off - I tried playing around in the color space transform, but couldn't find a match. Does anyone know the correct inputs and outputs? Let me know, thanks in advance!

Try these settings and see if they work for you:

BTW, the (free) Blackmagic Camera App is fairly brilliant and does a much better job than the internal Apple camera app in the iPhone.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Steve Fishwick

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 9:49 am

Unfortunately HDR rec.2020 on the iPhone, from the BMD app is a bit of a mess for post - they're are no luts, display or otherwise; not BMD not anywhere, like there is for Apple Log; having gone through this quite recently. Ultimately for the 15 Pro, Uli is right - use Apple Log (all the time) for which there is a Lut. Since I've been shooting on the 14 Pro Max, that is not possible. What I would recommend is Prores 422 LT, rec.709, unless you really need HDR; and you really can't afford the space. I was trying to avoid 8 bit 4:2:0, which HEVC is in the app, for rec.709; rec.2020 only, is 10bit 4:2:0.; I wasn't interested in HDR.

Or, if like me, where you're left with no other alternatives, in the BMD app; Use Cinema P3 Pro log, with HEVC. I use C log with a higher bitrate; and for which the supplied luts work very well everywhere; except there is no display Lut facility - you are looking at the log image while shooting. Since it's mild and not a 'log' like Apple's not really an issue. But it works usefully well and looks nice in post.

However if you are, and have to use rec.2020 in the BMD app; and all or most of your material in a project is HDR, then it's possibly better and quicker to set your input and output CS in project settings; rather than use nodes on a shot to shot basis; or even on a whole load of shots. So that would be: Davinci Color Managed>automatic>HDR in>SDR rec.709 out. Then you will still have to use an input lut; to get near the ball park. Unfortunately, that took some digging around and a lot I found on YT, were just simply wrong - non of the current luts work well in Resolve - you have to make one or find one. I can't attach the one I'm using - not near my machine. But in the end I'm pretty happy with the workflow. It actually doesn't matter if you set both your input and outputs to SDR space; as long as you use the proper input lut and you're only interested in SDR; and that's infact what I'm doing.

Avid was an even bigger pain - in the end the only thing close was, Source Settings>Rec. 2020 to linear

Return to DaVinci Resolve