Resolve 18.6.5 ignoring Proxy Generation Location

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

FayneTM

Resolve 18.6.5 ignoring Proxy Generation Location

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 8:40 am

Hello all ,

I've recently set up a Davinci cloud project for which the editor will use proxies to edit and in real time we can finalise on our end with raw files.

When setting up the project I've selected a different folder for proxies in Project settings>Master Settings>Working Files>Proxy generation location

After letting it generate overnight I've come back to find that davinci put the proxy files where they would automatically go , in the OCF folder and since this project spanned a lot of days we have the proxy files spread over 50-60 folders , for some reason the proxy generation location was completely ignored and just used the default setting for proxy.

Has anyone encountered this issue ? is there a solution?

Thanks in advance

PaulieJ

Re: Resolve 18.6.5 ignoring Proxy Generation Location

PostTue Mar 12, 2024 9:09 pm

Hi there,

I feel your pain! Fortunately, yes there's a solution, and it's conveniently and sneakily buried away in the system settings, NOT project settings.

Open up the system settings (I'm on Mac, so cmd+comma, or 'Preferences') and go to System > Media Storage. There are three radio buttons under the storage locations list that define what happens when generating proxies at a system level, superseding project settings (as I understand it). I assume your currently checked option is 'Proxy folder in media file locations.' This will quietly override the folder path set in the project settings. Selecting 'use project setting' or ask when creating' will then enable the path you've set in the project setting.

Some small but hugely significant buttons!

I suggest using the Proxy Generator app to save on manual duplication: define your parent OCF folder, or individual shoot day folders, and run the 'extract proxies' command to a new location. It will duplicate folder structures and copy proxies, but obviously not the original media files.
Paul

Uli Plank

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 1:20 am

The Proxy Generator app will always save to a proxies subfolder in the respective media folder.
At least, that's what happens here.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

jakstra

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 3:32 pm

I've just spent way too much time trying to make sense of this. I'm on public beta 19, but I'm assuming the issue applies to you as well. It seems the default for auto proxy generation will always place proxies in original media folders. If you generate proxies yourself, it should place proxies in the location you define... HOWEVER.... this doesn't seem to be the case on cloud projects....

In the project settings there is a section for black magic cloud that allows you to auto-upload proxies, and a separate check box to auto generate proxies. After some trial and error, I assumed if this auto-generate proxies box was disabled it would place them in the folder I chose, however it still kept generating them in original media folders. Only once I unchecked the auto-upload box, did they go to the new location I was choosing. I happened to noticed that the proxy options on the master settings under the optimized media setting were still greyed-out when the auto-upload box was selected, and realized that must still be over-riding the location I set up.

So the work flow that is currently working for me..

-Don't select auto upload or auto generate proxies for cloud
-select the preferred proxy info and location under optimized media location
-manually create all proxies
-after all proxies are manually created, then go back to cloud settings and select auto-upload

Return to DaVinci Resolve