Resolve+Canon 1DC 4K + Which New Mac Pro ?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

David Hung

Resolve+Canon 1DC 4K + Which New Mac Pro ?

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi All,

I have been filming 4K on the 1DC for about a year now, and I have been having trouble to do any secondary grade for any of the MJpeg 4K clips from the 1DC without transcoding first, since I am only using the last MBP 17" (maxed out spec), TB raid drivebay etc. ( also have a few other i7 PC/notebook with similar spec bought in the last 3 years). Actually FCPX on ProRes transcoded clip are sort of workable, also Premierecc can work with the files.

Now I have saved enough money for a New MacPro 12 core max out spec. However after lots of reading on the comparing and discussing the 6-12 cores versions in the last month. I am starting to think is the 12 Core really worth it. It cost about 3K more than the 6 core version, the $3K can get me a BMPC4K, a 4K monitor, a good 8bay TB2 case, A DIY PC with Dual E5 6core + dual GF780TI?, extra 4core new Mac pro or a future TB2 expansion chassis. Or even a self upgrade of a faster 12Core E5 from OWC?

This forum seems to have the most number of serious (video editing) New Mac Pro users around the world . Have you guys have any experience working on the 1DC's mov files? Being honest I am starting to think about ordering the BMPC4K to get the full version of Resolve :D instead of getting the 12 core today. I hope you guys or girls can help by some discussion. I am glad to provide very short test clip from the 1DC for downloading if any one want to. I need to place an order very soon for the April shipment.

This is probably a FAQ.

I am just a serious amateur who had paid off his mortgage after 20 years of hard working, and want to spend more of his spare time to start serious color grading.

Many Thanks in advance.

Return to DaVinci Resolve