Questions before buying Resolve and BMPCC

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Kieren Wuest

Questions before buying Resolve and BMPCC

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Hello BMD and community

I've been using Davinci resolve lite and I've been presently surprised with the way it works on many levels, I think I am ready to switch over lots of my workflow to it and have a couple Q's for the company and/or community before I take the plunge, as to check on a couple things I cannot find online myself.

My current setup

Current main camera :
Sony FS700 with RAW upgrade and the Odyssey 7Q record option that produces cinemaDNG RAW clips (and Prores .mov). I use AVCHD 8bit files occasionally.

Work station:
Dual Xeon, 64GB RAM, Quadro K4000 and Tesla K20, RAID 5 Media storage and RAID 5 SSD Scratchdisk, 10bit 4K Dell monitor and 1080p second montior.

I use filmconvert, osirus, and Neat video plugins regularly.

Prelude:
I have been a Premiere Pro user for editing and I'm hugely frustrated and disappointed in how the software uses the expensive hardware I've invested in. I believe it's bloated and inefficient, although fully featured, I cannot edit smoothly and there is terrible support for cDNG.

Using Resolve has been a revelation. For my editing the Resolve 10 edit has pretty much all I need except in the audio area which I have question about. The way it handles cinemaDNG is mostly smooth and the software is fantastic. I feel it uses my hardware so much better and more efficiently.

I am also planning getting a BMPCC for a second camera, as I have lots of m4/3 glass from GH2 hack days.

Questions: :P

1. With the purchased full license Davinci resolve will it use my Tesla K20 hardware? Because I believe the lite version is only using the Quadro K4000. I saw a matrix somewhere that says Lite only uses 1GPU.

* my only hesitation is that editing with audio using 2k cinemaDNG Quarter res footage, is 'almost smooth' real time editing. The way resolve stutters with audio sometimes when the video uses too much resource is not so good (my only gripe). It takes the creative feel out of the edit especially with fast energetic beat dependent edits and time ramp/shifts. I feel the software has amazing potential and I hope it is possible.

2. Is there a way to prioritize audio playback whist in edit mode, to prevent audio stuttering?

Thanks for info, for my edits, Resolve is nearly ready to facilitate for my editing. I would love to drop Premiere Pro for Resolve and it's awesome colour control capabilities and cDNG support. For me if I can 'resolve' these questions, I'm going to make the switch for sure.

Return to DaVinci Resolve