No option to restore project from backup

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

mrjasonhunt

No option to restore project from backup

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 1:03 pm

My PC locked up while I was working on a project, and I was forced to do a hard reboot. Now the thumbnail has little yellow triangle exclamation in the corner, and when I try to reopen it, it says "Unable to Open Project. Project appears to be incomplete or unreadable."

Someone please tell me that DaVinci has some kind of autosave backup. Premiere backs up projects with autosave, which seems super standard. Am I to believe that Blackmagic doesn't do something similar?

(Original post subject titled: Project inaccessible after lockup and hard reboot)
(Updated subject title after some back and forth)
Last edited by mrjasonhunt on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Alexander

Re: Project inaccessible after lockup and hard reboot

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 1:06 pm

Do you have 'Live Save' and Project Backups enabled under Preferences > User > Project Save and Load?
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

mrjasonhunt

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 1:30 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Do you have 'Live Save' and Project Backups enabled under Preferences > User > Project Save and Load?

All these options are active. How do I load a backup?

Steve Alexander

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 1:32 pm

Go to the project manager and right-click on the offending project. There's an option to load from a backup list (Project Backups...). Select one and 'Load' and it will create a new (copy) of the backup.
Last edited by Steve Alexander on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

mrjasonhunt

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 1:33 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Go to the project manager and right-click on the offending project. There's an option to load from a backup list and it will create a new (copy) of the backup.

I'm assuming the option to select is "Restore Project Archive..."

Doesn't say anything about restoring from Backup. I tried the Restore Project Archive and selected the most recent folder in the backup directory, but it said it wasn't a project.
Last edited by mrjasonhunt on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Alexander

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 1:35 pm

No. See my edited post above.

Your questions indicate a lack of training at a very basic level. I'm sure you know that and I don't mind providing some guidance (there are many folks on this forum willing to help) but I also recommend that you take some of the free training offered by BMD. You'll find both video tutorials and PDF documents in the Resolve training website:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/training
Time Traveller

mrjasonhunt

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 1:58 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:No. See my edited post above.

Your questions indicate a lack of training at a very basic level. I'm sure you know that and I don't mind providing some guidance (there are many folks on this forum willing to help) but I also recommend that you take some of the free training offered by BMD. You'll find both video tutorials and PDF documents in the Resolve training website:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/training

There's basically no option to load a backup from the right-click. I've attached some screenshots to show what I'm looking at.

I'm not opposed to some training. I just get frustrated when I need to frequent forums like this. Been editing for close to a decade; trained initially on Final Cut Pro, and was later able to train myself on Premiere quite easily, as most things there feel pretty intuitive. Comparatively speaking, I haven't had the same luck with Resolve. Among many other things, it's project management is handled different from basically all other software I use (except maybe Leica's Register360), and it's just one more thing I need to wrap my head around.
Attachments
IMG_1520.jpeg
IMG_1520.jpeg (840.93 KiB) Viewed 513 times
IMG_1521.jpeg
IMG_1521.jpeg (818.02 KiB) Viewed 513 times

mrjasonhunt

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 2:24 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Go to the project manager and right-click on the offending project. There's an option to load from a backup list (Project Backups...). Select one and 'Load' and it will create a new (copy) of the backup.

Please review my screenshots to review what I'm seeing on my end. Sounds like there should be an option to choose a backup, but I'm just not seeing it. I need a workaround.

John Paines

Re: No option to restore project from backup, workaround nee

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 5:49 pm

Right-click the project itself, not the empty space. You should then see a long drop-down menu, with "Restore Backups" towards the end. What you have in your screenshot is not the current menu. Page 86 of the 18.6 manual illustrates it.

If that doesn't work, please advise and instructions will be given for restoring it manually, from your backups.

Steve Alexander

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 11:38 am

Actually, if you right-click in an empty space, there is an option to load a backup from any project in that library. Perhaps the OP is right-clicking on the project but the project is so damaged that Resolve can't make out its identity?
Time Traveller

mrjasonhunt

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 pm

Steve Alexander wrote:Actually, if you right-click in an empty space, there is an option to load a backup from any project in that library. Perhaps the OP is right-clicking on the project but the project is so damaged that Resolve can't make out its identity?

Right-clicking on the space around the project did allow me the option to restore from backup. I thought it was odd it only listed backups from for that specific project and not all projects generally, but there's probably a reason for that.

In any case, it worked and I'm back to where I need to be. I very much appreciate your assistance with this. Hopefully I won't find myself more reasons to need a backup, but I'll know what to do if it happens.

Return to DaVinci Resolve