Speed Editor fail

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jonathanljs

Speed Editor fail

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 5:31 pm

After latest update to DR (18.6.6) Speed Editor has stopped working on both USB and Bluetooth. Have done multiple factory resets (cut/smth cut doesn't cycle LEDs), uninstalled and reinstalled Control Panels Setup utility, don't know what else to try. The Setup utility sees the editor perfectly well, it just doesn't activate when Resolve is opened. It has worked fine for years till now. Any thoughts?
Running Windows 11 Pro.

Pavel Lavrov

Re: Speed Editor fail

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 1:45 am

Works for me after forcing “reboot” on speed editor. (“cut” + “smth cut” + “jog”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pavel L

jonathanljs

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 2:53 pm

Thanks, but nothing happens. cut + smth cut + any other key combo gives me the classic Windows beep - debeep for USB disconnect/reconnect, but no lights, no cycling LEDs and no action!

whcvip

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 8:15 am

Same here, think it is a Windows 11 issue, still have not found a fix, one user from reddit reinstalled his computer and got it working.

Working fine on my MacBook Pro. But am mainly editing on my PC, and man really miss the Speed Editor, going back to mouse and keyboard just seems so slow now.

jonathanljs

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 4:37 pm

Hmm, yes, it seems it's a common problem.
I'm not prepared to do a clean install of Windows at this point - too many other things on it. and anyway, who's to say it won't happen again randomly? Can't be reinstalling Windows all the time!

Noerde

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 5:50 pm

jonathanljs wrote:who's to say it won't happen again randomly?

Maybe checking the latest windows updates and check if there's any suspects breaking the speed editor.

jonathanljs

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 12:36 pm

Noerde wrote:

Maybe checking the latest windows updates and check if there's any suspects breaking the speed editor.

It's quite possible, but hard to know where to begin. Will try a Windows refresh and see if that does anything...

Noerde

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 5:10 pm

jonathanljs wrote:
Noerde wrote:

It's quite possible, but hard to know where to begin.

Just check the list in order newest first. There a KB number that you can paste to google to know what has been updated. Sometimes reverting the last update fixes bugs/features.

jonathanljs

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

Just so anyone following the thread knows - a Windows refresh (in place upgrade) changes nothing.

Andy Mees

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 pm

jonathanljs wrote:After latest update to DR (18.6.6) Speed Editor has stopped working on both USB and Bluetooth.
Did you roll back to 18.6.5 to verify that it's specifically the 18.6.6 upgrade that caused your issue?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 pm

I've tested the Speed Editor USB connected to a fully updated Windows 11 23H2 system, with both Resolve 18.6.6 free version and the Studio version. No issues. There is no issue with 18.6.6.

Andy's suggestion of rolling back to whatever version you were using where the Speed Editor was working to see what happens is a good one. I would suspect it still won't work, but if it does, that could be some sort of clue.

In the Control Panels app, what version is on the Speed Editor? Mine is 1.4.4.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Mart_Williams

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 pm

Maybe checking the latest windows updates and check if there's any suspects breaking the speed editor.[/quote]

It's quite possible, but hard to know where to begin.[/quote]

Just check the list in order newest first. There a KB number that you can paste to google to know what has been updated. Sometimes reverting the last update fixes bugs/features.[/quote]

The touchpad stopped working on my Dell laptop yesterday, I tried uninstalling the latest Windows update, but that didn't work, so I used system restore to roll back to just before the last update and that did the trick. So it's worth trying that to get back your Speed Editor functionality.

SkierEvans

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 pm

If Win 11 is like Win10 I find that I have to do several updates ( 3 times normally with full shut down ) to make sure the update is complete. Need to do a full shutdown ( or restart if you have fast start set ). Not doing this update approach can lead to all sorts of problems like not connecting to my network, external drives or printers etc. The annoying thing is Windows starts to do this before the update gives notice of being available.

Thought this issue was just Windows but now have Speed Editor suddenly not work correctly on my Studio Max. Have now done the same updated to latest both Mac OS and Resolve, removed Speed editor pairing and then re paired and all works again. For information the Mac issue was Speed Editor would make a multicam selection correctly but the preview monitor stayed on the original track image.
Threadripper 1920, Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX, 32G RAM, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G, ASUS PB328Q, IP4K, WIN10 Pro 22H2, Speed Editor

Resolve Studio 18, EDIUS 9WG,EDIUS X WG, Vegas 18

Studio Max M1 24 core GPU, 32G, 1T drive. iPad Pro 12.9` M2 16G, 1T

jonathanljs

PostSun Mar 31, 2024 3:38 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm all up to date with everything. I'm very good about clean updating, and when I'm not on a project always update DR as well. When I think about it, I had this problem recently (18.6.4?) and that time I uninstalled then reinstalled the control panel. I tried that this time, but it didn't work. I should really wait till the April Windows update, install that, then uninstall and reinstall DR. I'll let everyone know on this thread if it works.

jonathanljs

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 10:37 am

So I plugged into a different USB port with a different cable, and now it works. I have no explanation for this, nor for why it wouldn't work with Bluetooth, but there you go. It's back. For now.

Return to DaVinci Resolve