Media re-linking issue

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

thad christian

Media re-linking issue

PostFri Mar 22, 2024 7:39 pm

Former AE/PremierePro dude that has gladly shifted to Resolve. And loving it.

I have a bad port in my MAC laptop that occasionally unmounts my external SSD drive. Once it comes back up Premiere would normally relink automatically....or I occasionally would have to point it to media again. And done...back in business.
But when this happens in RESOLVE...I am aware of the re-link button at the top left and how to relink the media...but when it looks like the media is relinked and the relink button show no media offline (no longer a red/orange color)....a bunch of media in the timeline still has the media offline No. Matter. What.

Some clips flicker between being on-line and offline. Some are online and many are not. They are all coming from the same drive. I have also deleted all the cache in case it cached the offline media clips. No dice. Only way I can get all the media to relink is to Quit Resolve and re-open.

Is this some kind of weird bug, an older OS thing (OSX Monterray), or is there a workaround I am missing?

I will be getting the port fixed...which is the obvious answer...but until then?

Thanks in advance!

M1 Macbook Pro OSX 12.7 Monterray

Jim Simon

Re: Media re-linking issue

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 3:35 pm

The best solution is to use a desktop with internal drives. :)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Mar 23, 2024 8:36 pm

I’ve seen this flickering behavior many times in the past. It’s a long-standing Resolve “behavior.” I’d call it a bug but have no idea if BMD would. In any case it doesn’t appear to hurt anything and, as the OP noted, fixes itself upon Resolve restart.

PS did you know Jim prefers internal drives? ;)
Last edited by Joe Shapiro on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Marc Wielage

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 3:19 am

thad christian wrote:I have a bad port in my MAC laptop that occasionally unmounts my external SSD drive. Once it comes back up Premiere would normally relink automatically....or I occasionally would have to point it to media again. And done...back in business.
But when this happens in RESOLVE...I am aware of the re-link button at the top left and how to relink the media...but when it looks like the media is relinked and the relink button show no media offline (no longer a red/orange color)....a bunch of media in the timeline still has the media offline No. Matter. What.

If you're running into Media Offline problems, check these things:

1) are the drives listed correctly in User -> System -> Media Storage?

2) are there any potential filename conflicts with the source media?

3) be aware that almost all H.264 files do not have accurate embedded timecode, so that can be a potential issue (particularly combined with #2)

4) make sure the drive permissions are set correctly

5) check the file path on the Media Page for the missing files and see if you can force a relink. Highlight the files, right-click, choose RELINK MEDIA, and then choose the correct source folder.

6) if the files are H.264/H.265 10-bit, be aware that they will only play in Resolve Studio. (There's quite a few codecs that only play in the Studio version.) For a lot of reasons, highly-compressed H.264/H.265 files are not ideal for post.

7) it's possible only your render cache has gone offline. To ward against that, re-render the cache or just delete it all and then go to the deliver page and try again.

The key is to check the MEDIA PAGE. Look at the rows of media and check where the source drive is. Worst case, relink it all. We try to confine all the media for one project to one folder, so worst case, we'd lasso all the media files, right-click and choose RELINK, and choose that one folder. "In theory," it should just work. Sometimes, just closing the session and re-opening it forces Resolve to go out and check the drive and file paths, and then the session is fine again.

Note that Monterey is a very old OS at this point. You might want to consider at least upgrading to Ventura (OSX 13). I would be cautious about Sonoma (OSX 14) at the moment.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 2:09 am

thad christian wrote:....
Thanks in advance!

M1 Macbook Pro OSX 12.7 Monterray....

Thad, please reply with your real name login.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 am

When USB drives on Mac drop offline, they often come back with a new phantom volume name, i.e. if it was mounted as /test, it will remount as /test1, and if it goes off and online again, could change to /test2.

If that's happening, and you use the Resolve relink icon to relink to those files, when the drive gets mounted to it's proper mount point (after a Mac restart) then the media will be offline again.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Steve Alexander

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 6:08 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:When USB drives on Mac drop offline, they often come back with a new phantom volume name, i.e. if it was mounted as /test, it will remount as /test1, and if it goes off and online again, could change to /test2.

If that's happening, and you use the Resolve relink icon to relink to those files, when the drive gets mounted to it's proper mount point (after a Mac restart) then the media will be offline again.

Good to know but at the same time, horrible. Lol
Time Traveller
Resolve Studio 19.0b1 | Fusion Studio 19.0b1 | Win 11 Pro (22H2) | i9-7940x, P4000 (536.96, 8GB VRAM), 64GB RAM, M.2 boot, SSD scratch, RAID10 data | (laptop) 16" MacBook Pro M1 MAX, 32 GPU cores, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Return to DaVinci Resolve