Davinci Resolve Crashes During Render cache

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Bill1990

Davinci Resolve Crashes During Render cache

PostSun Mar 24, 2024 8:04 pm

Hello Guys ,

I m a new user in Davinci resolve , propably around 3-4 months and today i got something strange happened , as i editing my video , Da vinci resolve freeze the render cashe ( it was on smart ) and now every time i try to run Davinci resolve all the time crashes, Any idea what can i do ?

** edit **

I found the reason , for some reason one video I had already finished had 500gb!!! rendered cache why cause my disk to full and not have any more space to rend new videos .
How did that happened and a normal small video had 500gb rendered cache ?? I use the smart render cache

Thank you ,

Bill Kalogeris

mhd_ayman282

Re: Davinci Resolve Crashes During Render cache

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 1:37 pm

Everytime you make an edit to the video and wait for it to render it create cash files, according to the number of edits and the more fusion process you do the larger the cash files become.

suggestion, go to playback menu, choose delete render cash, then manage cash data, then delete finished projects to free spaces for further projects.

have a nice day

Jim Simon

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 pm

To prevent this from happening again, you can add a dedicated Cache drive.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100167523 ... 92&Order=4
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ulrich W.

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 pm

Bill1990 wrote:How did that happened and a normal small video had 500gb rendered cache ??

When playing with Resolve the first time, I found that there is one "video format" that saves every frame as JPEG2000 (or so).
See the option Optimized Media Format inside "Setup and Workflows | Chapter 8 Improving Performance, Proxies, and the Render Cache" of the Resolve 18.6 reference.

Joe Shapiro

PostFri Mar 29, 2024 11:28 pm

Resolve detecting a low disk space and warning of it rather than crashing or otherwise behaving badly is a low-hanging fruit enhancement request that’s been made before and hopefully will be acted upon at some point.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

4EvrYng

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 1:42 am

Bill1990 wrote:How did that happened and a normal small video had 500gb rendered cache ??

Don't forget to check which codec you are using for your render cache. Some of them are extremely storage hungry.

Uli Plank

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 9:50 am

That! Some people have even set it to uncompressed, believing that is a good idea.
And again, don't put it on your system drive.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

4EvrYng

• Warnings: 1

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 7:13 pm

Joe Shapiro wrote:Resolve detecting a low disk space and warning of it rather than crashing or otherwise behaving badly is a low-hanging fruit enhancement request that’s been made before and hopefully will be acted upon at some point.

Agreed. When good programming practices are followed implementing exception handling where it doesn't exist already and throwing message like "Couldn't allocate space for render cache on volume so-and-so" is such an easy to pick fruit that I can't believe it still hasn't been picked. After all, year is 2024 and exception handling has become practically mandatory even for absolute newb developers since ... well ... last millennium?

Bill1990

PostSat Mar 30, 2024 8:41 pm

Ok, thank you all guys! Have a nice day …

Return to DaVinci Resolve