Wave distortions on captured old DVs

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

neckbone

Wave distortions on captured old DVs

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 pm

Hi Everybody,

I'm working on some old captured DVs with DaVinci Resolve. The process of denoise and renoise is coming along very well, but there remains a distortion that I do not know how to deal with. It is noticeable for example on the metal stand next to the guitarist (or bassist?), a wave of distortion probably due to the age of the captured magnetic tapes. Does anyone know about an effect on DaVinci that could help me correct or improve this defect?

https://vimeo.com/927227631/43db5741e2

Thanks a lot :mrgreen:

p.sudakovs

Re: Wave distortions on captured old DVs

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 12:18 am

It should be possible to sync up lines in Pheonix (Filmworkz / DigitalVision) :mrgreen:

Cary Knoop

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 12:33 am

Did you capture the video with a time base corrector (TBC)?

Marc Wielage

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 1:16 am

neckbone wrote:I'm working on some old captured DVs with DaVinci Resolve. The process of denoise and renoise is coming along very well, but there remains a distortion that I do not know how to deal with. It is noticeable for example on the metal stand next to the guitarist (or bassist?), a wave of distortion probably due to the age of the captured magnetic tapes. Does anyone know about an effect on DaVinci that could help me correct or improve this defect?

Yeah, speaking as a guy who worked on many 1980s and 1990s concerts, I believe this is microphonics. The camera tubes or camera pickup is vibrating with loud sounds in the room. I know of no way to fix that, since it's baked into the tape image.

I suspect if you took a modern Alexa or Red camera and hit it hard enough with sound waves to make the inner components vibrate, similar problems could occur. The answer is: turn the sound down during production. It's bad for people's hearing, too.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Uli Plank

PostTue Mar 26, 2024 1:34 am

Could be either one, since at that time there was no DV yet. I suppose analog tape, and the effect might be cured by transfer with a TBC. When DV was introduced, there were not many tubes around any more.
As Marc wrote, there's no cure in DR, it's baked in.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve