Resolve Studio Crashing Intel Iris Xe GPU at 100%

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Enjoying Retirement

Resolve Studio Crashing Intel Iris Xe GPU at 100%

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 8:58 pm

I have been bugged by this problem since switching to Resolve Studio in January. I think I've finally narrowed the issue down to Resolves use of the internal Intel Iris Xe GPU, specifically for 3D.

Problem:

When Resolve studio is up my video playback will stutter and stop after a few seconds of playing on an external monitor. My entire computer comes to a halt momentarily. I started paying attention to the Task Manager Performance graphs and see that this happens when the Intel GPU pegs to 100% on 3D. Resolve just has to be open, not even playing, and it will crash my computer just being open when I play youtube videos. It ONLY happens with Resolve Studio open and I use an external monitor. I've tried various monitor settings with no help.

Dell replaced my monitor when they couldn't figure it out and that didn't help. Now that I know it's the Intel GPU and 3D specifically, I can see many similar posts on the internet, but mostly for gaming. I don't game. I reloaded Premiere Pro and it barely nudges the Intel GPU so no problem, but with Resolve open everything eventually grinds to a halt.

I've gone into preferences and deselected Intel Iris and that seems to help, but Blackmagic touts their ability to use both GPUs for best performance. I'd hate to permanently disable one of the them. But at least I seem to be able to work longer now.

Has anyone else had this problem and have a better solution. FYI, my computer is lagging as I type this with Resolve open. Incredibly frustrating. Thanks for any assistance.

My computer:

Dell XPS 9730 Laptop, brand new
Intel I9 13900H processor
64 GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 4080 GPU
Intel Iris Xe GPU

All drivers up to date
Latest Resolve Studio
Using Nvidia Studio Drivers

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve Studio Crashing Intel Iris Xe GPU at 100%

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:35 pm

You can't mix GPU types in Resolve. And Resolve should not allow you to select both GPU's in the Resolve Preferences - System - Memory and GPU: GPU Configuration area. Even if you deselect Auto GPU Selection, it should not allow you to select the Intel Iris GPU.

Resolve can use the Intel Iris GPU for hardware accelerated encode and decode of H.264/265 media. It will appear in the Decode Options area. Is that what you mean when you say you've deselected the Iris GPU?

If so, what type of media are you playing that causes the Iris GPU 3D load to spike?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Enjoying Retirement

Re: Resolve Studio Crashing Intel Iris Xe GPU at 100%

PostWed Mar 27, 2024 9:48 pm

Hi, thank you. You are right, even when when I deselect Auto in Memory and GPU the Intel is greyed out. I was thinking it by unchecking Auto and checking NVIDIA I was good, but nope. I did just go into decode options and deslected NVIDIA and will see if that helps. I'm just running some 4K 60 footage from my Osmo Action 4, all proxy at 1/2 resolution. But even if I'm not running anything on Resolve at the time, just having it open will crash youtube with 100% 3D GPU usage.

Return to DaVinci Resolve