Proxy Generator workflow

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ed_Mantle

Proxy Generator workflow

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

I'm sure this is possible but am having trouble as sometimes my Proxy Generator App doesn't highlight many available options. I've tried readings the notes and various threads here to no avail.

I have a RAID I'm using as a central hub for a particular project (backed up elsewhere multiple times etc).

I have about 7TB of rushes. I only have about 1TB available space left internally on the editing machine. The RAID is built of spinning disks and I'd much rather work on the local nvme using proxies.

What would the correct workflow be to generate proxies using Proxy Generator on the RAID and then copy them to the desktop/other of the local nvme so that, when the RAID is plugged in, I can toggle back and forth between proxies/original and when the RAID isn't plugged in I can run on proxy only? Ideally I don't want to have to go through and relink things every time.

Windows 10 / 5950x / vision b550 d / vision 3090 / 64gb 3600 corsair vengeance rgb (2x32gb) / wd black sn850 4tb / noctua nh d15s / 4 x nf s12a / corsair 4000d airflow

Resolve Studio 18.6

Edit: I feel this is something to do with the extract tool but despite watching walkthrough videos etc it never shows as an option for me. Anyone care to offer a step by step? The RAID is a TB2 connected by a TB2-3 adapter.

Jim Simon

Re: Proxy Generator workflow

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

My thinking here is get more storage for the edit system, skip the proxies, and use the external RAID only for backups are archiving.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Ed_Mantle

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

Probably right but don't think I can fit more nvmes with that mobo (there's a slot but not sure it'll function bandwidth-wise with the gpu).

Could get an 8TB internal nvme but migrating in the middle of edits is a risk I'd like to avoid.

Could assemble a fast pcie card like the sonnet m.2, but I've got a busy month of edits and again, don't need the hassle (nor the cost tbh).

I've got plenty of 4TB external nvmes, don't want to pick up an 8TB for this one edit and add to the pile.

Don't have cashflow for anything like a Thunderblade (at least in a capacity that would seem worthwhile) nor the mental/time capacity to build a cheaper DIY equivalent.

Jim Simon

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm

Doesn't need to be NVMe. I use 10+ TB spinners.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100167523 ... 92&Order=4
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Return to DaVinci Resolve