Speed Editor not recognized by DR anymore

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Lucky42

Speed Editor not recognized by DR anymore

PostMon Apr 01, 2024 7:18 pm

Unfortunately DR Studio 18.6.6 (Build 7) didn't recognize the Speed Editor (SE) anymore (no lights. didn't show up in DR -> Preferences -> Control Panel). I tried the USB wired and also bluetooth only connection.
I see SR in the DR Control Panel Setup with latest firmware (Version 1.4.4, Build b13612e5) and also as connected in Windows Bluetooth menue. Windows Version is Win10 Pro 22H2.
When using the three button reset at the SE (Cut+Smooth Cut+Jog) i hear the Windows plug/unplug sound but nothing changed.

I deinstalled DR and tried different DR versions (18.5.1, 18.6.4, 18.6.5, 18.6.6) already. I searched the forum already, found newer similar problems but didn't find any solution.

Any help or hint to get DR recognize the SR again is very appreciated
Thanks a lot
Markus
Last edited by Lucky42 on Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lucky42

Re: Speed Editor not recognized by DR anymore

PostThu Apr 04, 2024 8:20 pm

After some more hours of troubleshooting i found a way to get the speed editor (SE) up and running again.

I've done some preparation but i am not sure if this was really needed:
I deinstalled DR and also Speed Editor incl. Drivers. This can be done in Windows Device Manager --> View --> show hidden devices. DR SE then showed up in the "Audio, Video and game Controller Section and can be uninstalled. After that i installed DR 18.6.6 and BM DR Control Panels again .

Solution:
- Connect via USB
- Start DR (SE wouldn't be recognized)
- Press and hold CUT+Smth CUT+ Jog Dial Button - i waited for 6-10 seconds
- After that the SE lights switched on and SE worked in DR - but only via USB cable, bluetooth didn't work

Fix bluetooth connection:
- Windows showed SE now as DaVinci Resolve Speed Editor (when connected via USB) and also as "DaVinci Keyboard" with 100% battery and conected (as before the troubleshooting procedure)
- Deinstall the BT "DaVinci Keyboard" in Windows
- Connect SE via USB and start DR Control Panels
- Rename SE from "DaVinci Keyboard" to something else
- Disconnect USB and add new BT Device. The SE shows up with your choosen name. Connect. After this step i tried the SE via BT in DR but didn't work
- Deinstall th BT SE with your choosen name in Windows again
- Connect SE via USB and start DR Control Panels. Rename SE again to "DaVinci Keyboard"
- Disconnect USB and add new BT Device. The SE shows up with "DaVinci Keyboard", Connect according to the manual
- Start DR and the SE worked for me now also with BT and/or USB.

One time after this procedure the SE didn't light up after DR start, but the three button combination (CUT+Smth CUT+ Jog Dial Button) worked imeediatly and i was able to use the SE over BT.

Maybe this is helpful for some of you with similar problems
Markus

ZarocSnow

PostFri Apr 12, 2024 11:27 am

Hey there,

I've responded about and linked this post on some other posts with this issue, including mine. This workaround temporarily worked but now the SE doesn't work either on BT or USB. Have you been using a way to make it turn on when this happens or has your fix held on so far? Super annoying and BM support does not reply AT ALL. Terrible support.

JovialOne

PostMon Apr 15, 2024 1:00 am

I just got my first Speed Editor today and have to admit that although the build quality seems nice it is only because of this thread that I can do anything with it at all.

Upon receiving the Speed Editor it would not do anything at all. I reinstalled Resolve and the Controls panel setup popped up ONCE to update the firmware. Since then the Controls panel is empty and the Speed Editor shows up in my preferences to show me the battery level.

To get it kind of functional I have to remove it with device manager, disconnect the usb, reconnect the usb, Cut + Smth Cut + Jog (6 seconds) x 2 and then it shows up. I can't get it functional with bluetooth at all and the usb connection doesn't work if it is still paired.

For what it is worth when the Speed Editor is plugged in (and only when plugged in) windows tells me that Windows Driver Package - Arduino LLC Genuino USB Driver is using my microphone.

I'm on Win11 Pro 23H2. The above behavior happens with DR 18.6 and DR 19Beta. Hopefully this colossal disappointment can get sorted soon. Just wanted to share what "works" for me.

*Edit:
I uninstalled all parts of the resolve software and then reinstalled. From that point on my bluetooth worked and the speed editor showed up in the control panel. It continued working over bluetooth but would go lights out and unresponsive over usb. I saw a post from somewhere saying keyboard rgb software could interfere so I started closing programs with task manager. The offending program for me was El Gato's streamdeck software. The speed editor now works and connects over usb and bluetooth flawlessly while it is closed.

JovialOne

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 am

I uninstalled all parts of Resolve including the control panels then reinstalled. After that finished the speed editor began to show up in control panels for the first time but would not light up or do anything over usb. I decided to try a different port and while unplugging it decided to test bluetooth. Bluetooth is now working perfectly and usb is not at all even with the Cut+Smth Cut + Jog reset.

I give up and will live the wireless fate this situation has decreed.

philtimm

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 8:33 pm

I've recently installed 19 beta and have just got a notification that there is an update for the Speed Editor firmware.

Have you seen this? Have you done it? Try launching the Davinci Control Panels app with the SE plugged in.

I am not going to update, as I don't know what the update does, nor whether it will stop it working with Resolve 18 which I use on my "work" boot partition.
HP Z8 G4 Workstation (dual Xeon Silver 4116)
160GB 2400MHz RAM
Nvidia RTX A5000 24GB GPU
512GB NVMe sys drive
4TB NVMe RAID0 scratch drive
24TB G-Drive Shuttle XL RAID5 storage (Thunderbolt2)

Win 11 (Version 23H2)
Resolve Studio 19.0B Build 20

Spinmeout

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm

HI,
I had the same issue and must thank 'Lucky42' for his suggestion to try the 3 button reset process as it worked for me on USB connection.

One time after this procedure the SE didn't light up after DR start, but the three button combination (CUT+Smth CUT+ Jog Dial Button) worked immediately and i was able to use the SE over BT.

Version DR Studio 19 beta
Windows 11 23H2
Thanks all.

ZarocSnow

PostTue Apr 30, 2024 11:08 pm

Haven't checked this point in a while but thanks for bringing more attention to it. I've been like yourself, using it in USB mode only. And will continue to do so since I do have an ElGato Stream Deck and will not be shitting it down to use the SE, that is absolutely absurd and not how this should work obviously as you say. I have gotten in contact with BM support, tried some steps and gave them some info they asked but they couldn't resolve it. They said they were sending it to their engineering team and would get back to me eventually but still nothing. I'd advise you I guess to do the same so they feel this is not an isolated issue.

Return to DaVinci Resolve