Is it Possible to Choose Chapter Marker Poster Frame?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

LooseMetal

Is it Possible to Choose Chapter Marker Poster Frame?

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 4:19 am

In an FCPX timeline, each chapter mark has a poster frame handle that can be dragged along the timeline to choose the poster frame. Compressor assembles these frames into the output file (.mov, .m4v), and they appear as thumbnails next to the chapter name in the QuickTime Player chapter menu.

DVR Deliver process indeed puts chapter thumbnails into the output file; however, there doesn't appear to be a way to choose a different poster frame than the one just under the chapter marker.

I do videos of dance recitals, and nearly every number starts in blackout. Thus, all the chapter thumbnails are black. Not helpful.

Any suggestions?

Jim Simon

Re: Is it Possible to Choose Chapter Marker Poster Frame?

PostThu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 pm

Short answer...use FCPX. ;)

Slightly longer answer...Resolve alone can't do this.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

LooseMetal

Re: Is it Possible to Choose Chapter Marker Poster Frame?

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 10:37 pm

[quote="Jim Simon"]Short answer...use FCPX. ;)
Haha thanks. I pretty much gathered that by now.

Interestingly, those FCPX custom chapter poster frames are only observed when sending a project directly to compressor (File→Send to Compressor). If you export a master file from FCPX and later import it into Compressor, the custom poster frames are lost.

I've been a FCP user for many years, and FCPX works well for me. Nevertheless, DVR is what all you grownups use so I thought why not see what it would take to migrate my workflow.

Return to DaVinci Resolve