What the best way for sharing selections among projects?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ghost355

What the best way for sharing selections among projects?

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 am

I work with several shows, making on-air promo videos. I create a new project for each new task. So I can edit some videos for one show, or I make a video for several different shows to show them all together.
I see each show’s episode and make selections the best of moments from them. I like to create subclips without extends, and use it for my video. If I need extra video behind my subclip I use Match Frame to Source function.
I want to know the best way to share selections among projects. I want create a new project for one show, for example, then get selections (sublips) I already have, and maybe add some new selections for new moments I need for the current projects and add them to sharing pool of subclips for using them later. I need to share each show separately from other, so I can load selections from shows I need only.
Could you give me some advices for my tasks?

Jim Simon

Re: What the best way for sharing selections among projects?

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 pm

I don't know how well Subclips will fit into this idea (I just don't use them), but for sharing media across projects, Power Bins are the way to go.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ghost355

PostFri Apr 19, 2024 8:44 pm

Thank you. I thought about Power BIns. They can help. But they will be always appear in my Library in all my projects. May be better way will be use export and import bins? So I could import only the show that I need for the current project? And when I need to add new episodes and new selection for them I will open project with that show media and bins with selected subclips?

Marc Wielage

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 12:28 am

ghost355 wrote:I work with several shows, making on-air promo videos. I create a new project for each new task. So I can edit some videos for one show, or I make a video for several different shows to show them all together. I see each show’s episode and make selections the best of moments from them. I like to create subclips without extends, and use it for my video. If I need extra video behind my subclip I use Match Frame to Source function.

There's no crime in using Dynamic Project Switching and just have both projects up at the same time, then cut and paste between them. As long as all the source files are available, this is perfectly fine. But if you need to disconnect the drive or use a different server or something, then it can get very sloppy.

Maybe a good method would be:

• create a new timeline in the old project and call it SELECTS.

• drop in just the moments from the previous show that will go into the promo.

• now, Media Manage *just this timeline* to your new source drive.

• arrange those clips in the correct folder and bin for the new project.

• now cut the promo at the head of the show, and you're ready to go.

In the days when I was working on network shows (many of them), they would usually just edit the promo separately and that would come in as a flattened file, created from the actual color-corrected episode. Sometimes, I still tweaked the promo a little bit because there were new shots juxtaposed that had never been cut that way before, but in general, everything stayed the same.

It's a question of what works best for you. I'm not an editor, and promo editing is kind of its own "secret society" of complex workflows and methods.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

ghost355

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 12:44 pm

Thanks, it's a very good idea about Dynamic Project. This way I needn't constantly repeat process of importing/exporting Bins. I just only Copy Bins with Selection I need, with selecting subclips, Then Paste bins in my current project. And when I will need to add new shows or episodes of show and make new selecting I just open this sharing projects.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 1:41 pm

ghost355 wrote:Power BIns...will be always appear in my Library in all my projects.
Sort of.

Power Bin contents are available to all projects in a Library, but to actually use those contents, you still have to move the clip into the project bins. So for projects that don't need that material, just don't add it.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ghost355

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 2:40 pm

I suppose I can use media from Power Bins directly.
Why do I need to move something from Power to Project Bin?

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 2:42 pm

Just how it works. If you drag directly from a Power Bin, it'll get 'copied' into the project bin anyway.

I suppose the advantage of this is if you remove a clip from the Power Bin, it won't also get removed from the project.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ghost355

PostSat Apr 20, 2024 4:13 pm

The question is have these Power BIns stress for my system? For example if I will use 100 Power Bins with many hundreds clips and sublicps in each of them, will be they load each my project and use RAM? If I switch off Power Bin showing will be load anyway in background?
It will be good if I can access to any Power BIn (just like links) but actually enable really using and load only some of them.
In other words are Smart Bins really loads in each projects with all it contents using RAM or they are just links for access to media?

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 8:38 pm

Don't know. I've never had that much in a Power Bin.

Try it. See what happens. You can always remove media from the Power Bins if you want.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.

ghost355

PostSun Apr 21, 2024 8:54 pm

Yeah, you are right. Thanks for advice. I think it is the most right way. In a theory )))) If everything will work as I think that will be great. The more I am learning about Davinci the more ways for optimising my workflows I see.

Return to DaVinci Resolve