Help with a very weird behavior in Resolve

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

ParanormalBanana

Help with a very weird behavior in Resolve

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 2:28 pm

Hi,

I'm facing an issue that's really annoying and frustrating. Davinci Resolve is randomly turning all my adjustments on and off, as if it was randomly clicking on the bypass color and fusion effects toggle all the time. it's become basically impossible to adjust anything and see the results, and the program is extremely buggy. Anytime I mess with NR, I'm faced with constant crashing of the software.

below is a video of the problem (password davinciresolve)

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqRfWWEJQYgygZiuGzD ... w?e=wJAQOI

robodog1

• Warnings: 1

Re: Help with a very weird behavior in Resolve

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:23 pm

the helpers here seem to be stumped by your question, so I'll put in my 2 cents.
what do you mean by NR ?
because of security reasons somtimes people won't click on links with secret passwords and so on, so it might be more helpful to you if you just describe what's going on that disturbs you ???

Charles Bennett

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 pm

Rodney, NR is noise reduction.

Loris, Noise Reduction is very processor intensive and causing crashing could be that your computer is not powerful enough to run it. Post details of your computer including Free or Studio version of Resolve, OS, GPU, and RAM, and the video codec of your clips, etc.
The toggling of the bypass is not normal behaviour.
I clicked on your video and used the password. There is no video, just a small square in the centre of the screen. ;)
Resolve Studio 19.0b2 build 25
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790, 24GB RAM, 2 x Evo 860 SSDs, GTX1060/6GB (551.86 Studio Driver), Win10 Home (22H2), Speed Editor, Faderport mk1, Eizo ColorEdge CS230 + BenQ GW2270 + Samsung SA200, Canon C100mk2, Zoom H2n.

ParanormalBanana

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 10:33 pm

Charles Bennett wrote:Loris, Noise Reduction is very processor intensive and causing crashing could be that your computer is not powerful enough to run it. Post details of your computer including Free or Studio version of Resolve, OS, GPU, and RAM, and the video codec of your clips, etc.

Thank you, here are my PC specs:
Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen 5900X 64 GB DDR4
AMD Radeon 7900XT 20GB GDDR6
Working mostly with CDNG RAW

I didn't have those issues before, and on my previous, less powerful machine (Ryzen 3600, RTX2070 Super) these issues didn't occur either. I was actually able to apply some NR albeit very slowly, but now the crashes are making it near impossible (although, when it doesn't crash, it works wonderfully fast)

The weird thing that happens with the effects going on and off all the time has never happened before though and is rendering the whole grading process near impossible without immense patience!

Charles Bennett wrote:I clicked on your video and used the password. There is no video, just a small square in the centre of the screen. ;)

Is this link better? https://drive.google.com/file/d/11U7D3q ... sp=sharing

Joe Shapiro

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 am

Both links play just fine for me.
Not as easy as posting a YouTube link but it is functional.
Director, Editor, Problem Solver. Been cutting indie features for 23 years. FCP editor from version 2 to 7.
Resolve 18.6.6
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 64GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1
MacBook Air 13" M1 8GB RAM, macOS 14.2.1

Sean Nelson

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 am

I have this annoying habit of not stretching my finger quite far enough and accidentally pressing the "R" key instead of the "T" key when I'm trying to rotate a bunch of selected points in a Fusion tool. The display suddenly goes black-and-white on me. The first few times it happened it took me several minutes to figure out what I'd done and fix it. Now I know to just keep pressing "R" again until the colour comes back.
DR Studio 18.6.4 Build 6, Win10Pro x64 22H2/19045.3570
Asus C246 Pro Motherboard, Xeon E-2278G@3.4GHz, 64GB ECC RAM
GeForce 3060 12GB, "Studio" driver 512.15
OS,Library: 1TB NVMe SSD - Project,Cache: 1TB NVMe SSD

ParanormalBanana

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 am

Sean Nelson wrote:I have this annoying habit of not stretching my finger quite far enough and accidentally pressing the "R" key instead of the "T" key when I'm trying to rotate a bunch of selected points in a Fusion tool. The display suddenly goes black-and-white on me. The first few times it happened it took me several minutes to figure out what I'd done and fix it. Now I know to just keep pressing "R" again until the colour comes back.

I don't think it's anything that I do. In the video I posted, for example, at some point I'm only clicking through nodes and clips, and scrubbing through the footage and it happens for no reason. Also, I don't notice any toggles happening, I just used the effects toggle as an example of what seems to be happening, but I don't think this is it.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:00 pm

Throwing out a guess, GPU driver?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

ParanormalBanana

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 11:19 pm

Jim Simon wrote:Throwing out a guess, GPU driver?

How would you suggest I proceed? I've just installed this graphics card in my system recently. I started by uninstalling the Nvidia drivers using DDU, then installing the new graphics card, and I installed the "Adrenalin Edition" drivers from AMD. I tinkered around in the drivers and basically disabled any optimizations so I don't really know what to do.

Jim Simon

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 pm

ParanormalBanana wrote:How would you suggest I proceed?
Well, if this were MY problem...I'd go back to nVidia.

I just prefer CUDA.
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

VMFXBV

PostSun Apr 28, 2024 3:19 pm

Yeah man, throw out that computer and replace it with CUDA. And if that still doesnt work go get another job.

I suggest instead of finding what causes this software or hardware problem (PSU, RAM, Windows...all these very uncommon things), you just buy a bunch of CUDA cards. 10 or 15 or so. One of them should work. Guaranteed. Throw the others in the garbage. Then when a software bug happens again, rinse and repeat the steps above.

Do not even attempt to isolate any sort of problems. Nobody has time for that. Just buy CUDA. It just works. At least 50% of the time it works 100% of the time. To quote the nvidia CEO, the more you buy the more you save.

/s

If you dont want to follow the great advice above I suggest you post some logs and maybe someone at BM will take a look at it and see what the issue is.

Until then the suggested drivers for the current 7000 series are 23.8.2. You could also try installing it without Adrenalin interface and see if it makes any difference. Also I'm assuming the chipset drivers for the 5900X are installed correctly and you PSU is adequate that can handle high transient currents that the 2070 didn't have.
AMD Ryzen 5800X3D
AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Ursa Mini 4.6K
Pocket 4K

Uli Plank

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 2:38 am

All good advice after the /s ;-)

But may I suggest to check the most simple thing? Try another keyboard!
I once had a keyboard slowly dying, and it would start issuing commands randomly out of nowhere.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Return to DaVinci Resolve