Animations cause black dots and streaks

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

housejacket

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 4:21 pm

This happens with blurs, transitions, and animating text…unwanted black dots and streaks show up and make it to the render.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, 64GB RAM, has happened with all versions of MacOS and Resolve. Composite settings don’t do anything.

What’s going on??

Hendrik Proosa

Re: Animations cause black dots and streaks

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 4:43 pm

If in Fusion page and errors show themselves on timeline, change the resizing filter in project settings, see if any of them changes anything.
I do stuff

housejacket

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 pm

Does no one else have this issue? It’s pervasive across many basic effects and transitions, and it always has been since switching to Resolve almost two years ago.

Jim Simon

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:19 pm

I've never seen it myself.

I wonder if it's OS or GPU dependent. (I use nVidia on Windows.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

Hendrik Proosa

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 pm

housejacket wrote:Does no one else have this issue? It’s pervasive across many basic effects and transitions, and it always has been since switching to Resolve almost two years ago.

Did you try what I suggested? There are many threads about similar issue and solution is always the same.
I do stuff

housejacket

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:
housejacket wrote:Does no one else have this issue? It’s pervasive across many basic effects and transitions, and it always has been since switching to Resolve almost two years ago.

Did you try what I suggested? There are many threads about similar issue and solution is always the same.
I’ll give it a look, thanks!

housejacket

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:

Also, I tried searching many times with different descriptions and couldn’t find anything that showed the same issue I’m having. Can you point me to a couple threads that discuss the same issue?

housejacket

PostSat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 pm

Hendrik Proosa wrote:If in Fusion page and errors show themselves on timeline, change the resizing filter in project settings, see if any of them changes anything.
Switching to Bilinear fixed it, thank you Hendrik!!!

EDIT: Bilinear fixed it in the timeline, but the render was still plagued with black streaks and dots. Trying different render settings.

EDIT 2: This is maddening. Timeline is totally clean after switching Image Scaling to Bilinear, but all renders are still full of black dots and streaks on animated text and blurs. I have tried different codecs, different resolutions, not using hardware acceleration, throttling render speed, clearing render cache (which I had turned off for this project anyway), and a bunch of other render settings. What am I missing?

EDIT 3: I unchecked “force sizing to highest quality” and now all black spots/streaks/glitches are gone. Turns out that checkbox changes image scaling to “Sharper” under the hood when rendering, which explains why the animated text went back to having glitches on the render.

BOTTOM LINE: the issue is resolved with changing Image Scaling to Bilinear and making sure that “force sizing to highest quality” is UNchecked on the Deliver page. Downside is any scaled images and videos won’t look quite as good as “Shaprer” image scaling.

Return to DaVinci Resolve