Resolve 9 Lite on 2010 Macbook Pro

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

jmaydick

Resolve 9 Lite on 2010 Macbook Pro

PostTue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 pm

Hello,

My name is Jason and I am an aspiring colorist. I am still in school, and want to begin working with Resolve on my Macbook Pro to learn the software and get some experience before I invest in a higher-end system.

Here are the details of my laptop:
Macbook Pro 15" bought in 2010 (not retina display)
Intel Core i7 (2.66 GHz)
Two Cores
4gb RAM
Running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

I'm told I need Lion or better to use Resolve 10. I installed a 9 Lite completely fine, and have been trying to use it. However, when i drag the mouse across something, for instance adjusting a power-window, my computer suddenly crashes. My screen flashes and goes black and my computer makes a "beww" sound. The keys stay lit and I can't do anything until I hold the power button, turn it off, and reboot.

My question is, is my computer just too weak to handle grading basic HD footage? I know that Davinci calls for 8gb of ram, and at least a quad core. But I would really like to avoid purchasing a new system until I can get a good foundation with Resolve. Am I completely out of luck?

Best Regards,

Jason

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve 9 Lite on 2010 Macbook Pro

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 1:09 am

What graphics does your system have?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

jmaydick

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 2:11 am

Built- in GPU Intel HD Graphics
VRAM (Total): 288 MB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

adamroberts

PostWed Mar 19, 2014 7:41 am

If it's the mid 2010 model it's probably got the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 512 MB.

That GPU is not powerful enough for resolve and has too little VRAM.

jmaydick

PostThu Mar 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Yes, I'm afraid my machine is well below specs for Resolve. However, would that cause my whole computer to crash like that? Whenever i drag a power window or a qualifier, my whole screen turns black and my computer makes a skipping sound if there is any audio. I have to hold the power button to turn off and reboot. Upon reboot there is an error notification that my system crashed.

I'm just wondering whether my computer is doing this because there is too much strain on the GPU or whether this problem lies elsewhere (and requires repair). This issue used to happen a few years back when editing in FCP, but I had the logic board replaced and that seemed to fix the issue.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Return to DaVinci Resolve