Lowest possible configuration ever :)

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Julian Sojka

Lowest possible configuration ever :)

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Hey
My nami is Julian, and I'm cinematography student at Polish Filmschool in Łódź
My old mid2010 mbp15 just totally died, and now it's time to spend some money for a new machine...
but right now my budget is really limited, and I'm looking for the lowest possible configuration that I can afford
I was considering building hackintosh but I need something that I can take with me on the set sometimes
Besides normal day activity I would use it for offline editing, backup of material and occasionally for limited grading in resolve.
and the last point is the most decisive...
We have at school really powerful workstation with resolve 10 and Dolby monitor so I don't quite really need the strongest machine rather something that will run Resolve even in the lowest setup. My old mbp was unable to work with 10, so right now I'm thinking about two options:

13' rMBP 2.4GHz i5 4GB RAM, 128gb flash
Or
13 MB AIR 1.3GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 128gb flash

What do you think? I came throu a lot of materials about configs and now I feel a little dizzy... Some say that air will not handle Resolve, and then I find on web that someone actually is using it :shock: of course with a lot expansions but maybe as I wrote earlier the lowest possible config will work...
Or maybe I should consider something else? The only thing is that I need to buy the new, cheapest possible on apple store because of the financing option :roll:

Thanks for any advice, and have great week guys :)

sincohen

Re: Lowest possible configuration ever :)

PostMon Mar 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Neither of your options will work properly with resolve 10. Minimum system requirements for version 10 are 12GB of RAM and a 2GB video card. Basically there are no low cost options. You need either a high end 15" rMBP, a high end iMac, the new mac pro, etc. You also can not use intel graphics in any appreciable way, and that is what both your options use. You need Nvidia or AMD graphics with at least 2GB of VRAM. The 27" high end iMac config with a 16GB RAM upgrade is the cheapest option. It is very normal to have desktop or rack mount type systems on set running off mains or a small generator, and set up on a rollable cart. If you are really on a low budget hackintosh is an option but it requires a lot of setup and maintenance for stable operation. Second hand macs that meet the minimum system requirements might be your best bet. Again, 12GB or more of system RAM and 2GB or more of video RAM (Nvidia or AMD).

s

Return to DaVinci Resolve