DA VINCI WONT OPEN UP

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

diego

DA VINCI WONT OPEN UP

PostSat Apr 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Hi all!

I think i just got myself in some unnecessary trouble.

Im running a licensed version of Resolve on a quite powerful HACKINTOSH. I been doing so for about 8 months and works great. That until these week. I hadn't used the grading suite for about a month, and last week i felt Resolve was going very slow for what i'm used to. It was taking long to update the still's for the timeline an so.
At the same time, i been having problems with FILMCONVERT OFX plugin, wish i have installed. Every time i try to change the processing option to OPENCL inside the plugin panel, it would immediately shut down.

So i decided to play around with Resolve settings, and i changed the processing option from CUDA to OPENCL (the computer has 2 x GTX780 wish are CUDA)
Then i closed down the software, and finally i went to the hidden GALLERY folder inside USER/DOCUMENT/DAVINCI RESOLVE and erased the content inside this folder.

After that, i tried to open Resolve, but it would just show the welcome screen and the close down with no details.

I did erased the gallery because it was using quite a lot of the startup HDD space with still's from old projects. Usually when i mess around with resolve i do a backup for the database and individual projects, but i didnt this time. So i dont have an updated BACKUP, at least for the last 2 months.
I would like try to get them before in case i have to do a full uninstall of RESOLVE (if they still exist).

I'm uploading a screen, it show how far it goes when Resolve tries to open up (it gets only to the point where says "Looking for control surface", the shuts down)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 6.07.26 PM 1 copy.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 6.07.26 PM 1 copy.jpg (994.76 KiB) Viewed 5102 times

alessandrolameiras

Re: DA VINCI WONT OPEN UP

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 1:26 am

You are downloading the newest version of Resolve LIGHT. Try to install the prior version (10.3.1) from HERE http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... hived=true

After installing instaling run kext wizard or kext beast. Be sure you have open cl enabled in your extra folder, should look like this at some point:

key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=1
<string>nvda_drv=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
If not, you need to enable it.

. Open Finder
2. Navigate to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
3. Open in TextEdit
4. Add nvda_drv=1 to Kernel Flags as shown:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

save, reboot, enjoy.
GTX 770, GTX Titan Red Rocket, i7 4770k 3.9Ghz OSX 10.9.1 In Hackintosh Gigabyte Motherboard GA-Z87X-OC Force .

diego

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 2:03 am

alessandrolameiras wrote:You are downloading the newest version of Resolve LIGHT. Try to install the prior version (10.3.1) from HERE http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... hived=true

After installing instaling run kext wizard or kext beast. Be sure you have open cl enabled in your extra folder, should look like this at some point:

key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 PCIRootUID=1
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
If not, you need to enable it.

. Open Finder
2. Navigate to /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist
3. Open in TextEdit
4. Add nvda_drv=1 to Kernel Flags as shown:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

save, reboot, enjoy.

Hey Alessandro,

Thanks for the quick reply! Im trying to understand your instructions, but i guess im not that proficient on programming.

I opened the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file and it shows like this;

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 nvda_drv=1</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>

That's how far im able to go with my knowledge. Could you please guide me into how enable OPENCL?

I dont understand why is the Kext Wizard app for. I know you can install kext, but in the instructions there's no kext to install.

By the way, the version i was using before i the problems was 10.1.2 (should i look for that instead of 10.1.3).

Many many thanks for your help!!!

alessandrolameiras

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 4:59 pm

H.
OpenCL is enabled for your graphic cards. :(
Delete all resolve files using the unistaller, including the DESKTOP VIDEO drivers if any.. then run kext beast or kext wizard (rebuild cache and repair permissions in your /System/Library/Extensions¨ and "/Extra/Extensions" folders)
Reboot, retry to reinstall resolve 9.6 from HERE (http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... hived=true)
RE RUN kext wizard or kext beast, restart, launuch resolve 9 change the preferences to CUDA PROCESSING, an then update to any version of resolve 10.XXX.
My 2 cents.
That work for me when i instaled a GTX Titan and a 780 graphics cards in my hackintosh.
GTX 770, GTX Titan Red Rocket, i7 4770k 3.9Ghz OSX 10.9.1 In Hackintosh Gigabyte Motherboard GA-Z87X-OC Force .

diego

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 8:08 pm

But is there a way to backuo the Databases??

I have created multiple Databases, not just the local database (i can backup that manually from Library/App support/Blackmagic/Da Vinci Resolve/.

Is the other database the one im worried about.Im looking into my other computer inside Resolve, and when i look for the root to for a DATABASE other than the original Local database, it shows the 127.0.0.1 ip adress as the location. So i dont know how to reach them out before completely unisntall Resolve.

diego

PostSun Apr 20, 2014 9:28 pm

Ok,

I unisntalled Resolve, downloaded Kext Beast but theres not option for repair, so i used Kext Wizard for repair permissions on System/Library/Extensions, but it would let me select repair permissions for /Extra/Extensions...

diego

PostTue Apr 22, 2014 2:35 pm

WARNING****WARNING***WARNING
To everybody, dont listen to any advice that the other user (Alessandro) was posting on this threat.

I just got my problem fixed by the programmer who helped my with the install of OSX on my hackintosh originally, and he told te instructions given by the other user were to ¨put a brick on my install¨, in other words blocking my installation forever and maybe harm my OS.
He said this user was a TROLL and that he was constantly creating new user accounts and posting this kind of **** to mess with other peoples system, so be careful when someone post something too technical that involves programming or using terminal, when they are not from blackmagic.

Anyways, problem solved, i dont know how he did it, because he uses Teamviewer to go inside my OS, but he rescued all my projects, even when i uninstalled resolve several times.

Caïque De Souza

PostTue Oct 07, 2014 11:51 am

Hey guys,

I can enlighten that subject a little since I got the exact same problem yesterday and finally found an easy way to restore Resolve 10 without harming any project.

Basically, the source of the problem is changing the processing option from CUDA or AUTO to OPENCL when you have CUDA-based graphics cards installed in your system. It results in Resolve trying to load OPENCL drivers on startup... but you only have CUDA drivers... so BOOM CRASH !

The problem is you can't load Resolve anymore to change the option back to the original ! :o

So the solution is to change the configuration file itself directly ! :ugeek:

Open /Library/Preferences/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/config.dat

COPY THE FILE SOMEWHERE ELSE SO YOU HAVE A BACKUP OF THE FILE (just in case... ;) )

Go to the end of file and find this line :
" Local.GPU.Mode = OPENCL "

Change " OPENCL " to " CUDA "

Hint : If the GPU processing mode is set to Auto, this line should not appear. So basically, if you just delete the line, it should work too but I didn't test that :ugeek:

Hope that helps someone in need event though my answer happens quite late !

Cheers :mrgreen:

alessandrolameiras

PostWed Oct 08, 2014 11:54 pm

diego wrote:WARNING****WARNING***WARNING
To everybody, dont listen to any advice that the other user (Alessandro) was posting on this threat.

I just got my problem fixed by the programmer who helped my with the install of OSX on my hackintosh originally, and he told te instructions given by the other user were to ¨put a brick on my install¨, in other words blocking my installation forever and maybe harm my OS.
He said this user was a TROLL and that he was constantly creating new user accounts and posting this kind of **** to mess with other peoples system, so be careful when someone post something too technical that involves programming or using terminal, when they are not from blackmagic.

Anyways, problem solved, i dont know how he did it, because he uses Teamviewer to go inside my OS, but he rescued all my projects, even when i uninstalled resolve several times.

hahahahaa

????????????????????????????????????????

Return to DaVinci Resolve