Davinci 11 Bug Reports

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

seanross67

Davinci 11 Bug Reports

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Is there an good place to post (suspected) bug reports on Davinci 11?

thanks,
sean
Resolve on a iMac Pro 11.6 64gb RAM Radeon Pro Vega 64.
Davinci 17.4.4

Ulysses Paiva

Re: Davinci 11 Bug Reports

PostWed Jun 25, 2014 2:59 pm

I also would like to know. I have some feedback.
Ulysses Paiva

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 12:42 am

You can report them to your local BMD service office or here.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Ulysses Paiva

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 2:23 am

- The Drop down in the Edit menu is working just fine but in the View menu it doesn't scroll to show the options located out of screen, using a full HD monitor. I had to assing keyboard shotcuts to use them.

- When using ACES workspace, there isnt anymore the Cinema DNG for IDT, there´s the new BMD Film and BMD Film 4K. I think it is those meant to be used instead when working with BMD Cameras Raw files?

- I have one feature request. It would be very nice to see the render time when finished rendering. We can only see the remaining time while its working but not the overall time it took after that.
Ulysses Paiva

danielstonehouse

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 2:40 am

Bugs I have noticed

Denoise in qualifier affects performance in a similar way to a normal noise reduction operation, but this is not picked up by Smart Cache (ie non real time clips need to be manually flagged to cache).

In general smart cache seems to miss some clips that aren't playing real time - and you dont seem to be able to force it by adding lots of blur nodes, for example.

Some issues with an imported database, seem to be cleared up by running "optimise"

Several messages about inserting the dongle, with the dongle inserted. Resolve does not close though, as it would without the dongle.

Margus Voll

PostThu Jun 26, 2014 5:47 am

I yesterday encountered "soft image look" with Alexa 2k prores files.

It looked like in premiere degraded footage when set to 1/2 quality or so.

Only way to get rid of it was to close down the project without saving and opening up again.

I got this result after playing with colour picker noise parameter but it went all over all the footage not just
the shot i was playing with.

The problem bowed up on external monitor in fine details.
Margus Voll, CSI

http://www.iconstudios.eu
margus (at) iconstudios.eu
IG: margusvoll

Peter Cordes

PostFri Jun 27, 2014 10:39 am

Hi,

with my files - Panasonic .mts - it doesn't find the audio tracks.

Greets
Peter

PierreEmmanuel

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 7:31 am

Problem with folders in the project window:
Create a blank project, then click on the "home" icon (which will pop-up the project browser) create a folder, move to the color panel and try to import a grade from another project, the browser that helps finding grades in projects is now totally wrong (files missing, grades attached to wrong project,..)

Problem with folders, moving projects in folders
Create a folder, move all the projects that are placed at the root level into the folder just created, Rsolve will then ask you to save a phantom project

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:08 am

Hi Pierre, can you provide more detail for these as I tried and could not replicate either issue.

PierreEmmanuel

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 8:10 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hi Pierre, can you provide more detail for these as I tried and could not replicate either issue.

mmm.. I reproduce it every time on 10.9.4, Macpro 2013, Resolve Lite. Would you need screenshots ?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:07 am

Take a video with your phone and PM a link to me.

Matt Grdinic

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Love the Right click near Clip Edge and select Cross Dissolve feature, but both the 6 and 12 frame options do not fade to 100% black. The 24 and 48 frame options work as expected.

Keep up the great work!

Joey Stephenson

PostThu Jul 03, 2014 3:33 pm

This was already posted in the Windows forum, but Ill post it here again.

In the Edit window, when retiming a clip on the timeline, moving speed points is all messed up. When I click on one and try to drag it, the clip jumps way back like it cut off the end of the footage, and then you cant see the speed point anymore. You can drag the clip back out a bit, and the speed point will show back up, but its just very messed up, and the issue repeats once you click it. It crashed a few times on me. This is with GH3 .mov footage.

PierreEmmanuel

PostFri Jul 04, 2014 6:55 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Take a video with your phone and PM a link to me.

I will send you a video ove the week end, but I was in a hurry this night, sorry for that.

But another one:

- Load a project with some nodes already configured (I had a LUT and a simple contrast adjustment nde)
- Set interpolation to Optical Flow
- Save
Try to add a node -> BAM .. Resolve quits immediately

Load your project
- Set interpolation to nearest or blend
- Add a node, works fine.
- Set Optical Flow
- BAM again.

100% reproducible on my MacPro 2013

Uli Plank

PostFri Jul 04, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi Pierre,

how much VRAM do you have? Temporal processes need more!
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rlaudi

PostFri Jul 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Before I get into the bugs/feature request section, I'd like to say I'm very pleased with the NLE development direction of Resolve as it gives the prospect to skip on dealing with another NLE for quite a few projects!

Two things I ran into so far (I hope these are not RTFM topics... ;)):

- In the timeline I've got the option to extend a single frame of an single image to an arbitrary number of frames (thats good!), but when I try to set keyframes along the way of these frames, none gets added to the one at the first frame of the single image sequence. Am I getting something wrong here or isn't it possible to create the so called Ken Burns effect in DVR yet?

- Is there an option I've overlooked to change the source of a clip in the media pool of a project (re-link)? That would be a very efficient feature to exchange a clip/scene in the project without having to deal with timeline editing operations.

Jordan Oliver

PostSun Jul 06, 2014 12:27 am

I've noticed window resizing issues on my Macbook Pro Retina. It boots up larger than my display and even after adjusting, it will go back to being too large when I change my view or navigate through the tabs.
Jordan Oliver - Salt Lake City, Utah

PierreEmmanuel

PostSun Jul 06, 2014 7:38 am

Uli Plank wrote:Hi Pierre,

how much VRAM do you have? Temporal processes need more!

I guess 2x6gb, but it's not linked to memory, it sounds more like an exception : I can render properly, I can tweak all the params of all the nodes.. but simply click on "Add a node", and it quits.

Gilly

PostSun Jul 06, 2014 3:08 pm

I am using the SpyderCheckr folding tablet color chart. This does not line up with the sample screen for SpyderCheckr.
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
i7 3.5 ghz quadcore hackentosh with dual THUNDERBOLT
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!
I got tired of waiting on apple :)

Leon Lopez

PostSun Jul 06, 2014 7:29 pm

XML crashes

I am trying to open an XML file from FCP X and every time i try to open it resolve 11 crashes

Can anyone help??

mlantern

PostMon Jul 07, 2014 12:45 am

Concerning Davinci 11 Beta on Windows 7.

Stills in .psd, .png. and .tif move to timeline as 5 second pieces, but .jpg move to timeline as single frames. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, the scaling of clips to .25 seems a bit inadequate--it should be to at least .10.

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 07, 2014 1:16 am

BBP, can you post your XML?

Spruce, you need the 15" MBP with retina display. set the screen scaling to more space. There is a minimum screen resolution for Resolve so without this setting you can't achieve the min.

Gilly, can you detail what yo mean, does not line up? Are you moving the overlay corners to position the overlay over the sample areas?

Leon Lopez

PostMon Jul 07, 2014 7:01 am

[quote="Peter Chamberlain"]BBP, can you post your XML?

hey Pete

here is a link to the xml

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pqud9hc41769s ... est.fcpxml

hope this helps

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 07, 2014 11:06 am

BBP, can you update your user name to your real name please.

We will look at the xml .. have you tried deselecting to automatically put clips into the media pool? See if it still crashes.

Leon Lopez

PostMon Jul 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Hey Peter.

Changed my name!

So I don't even get to the option to deselect

I literally go to open XML. Then I choose the XML file from my desk top. And then when I select the file and press ok it pauses a few seconds then shuts down the programme.

jpcolor

PostMon Jul 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Update,
After searching the WEB, I found a post from 2012.
the suggestion was to go to Database Manager and "Optimize"
Seems to have worked.

jp

Receiving error message below.

[Error while AutoSave: ERROR: access to
noncontiguous page in hash index
"ListMgt::LmVersion_ListMgt::LmVersionTable_id_id
QPSQL: Unable to create query]

this is a problem, I'm unable to save certain projects.
It is random,

Thanks

jp

Leon Lopez

PostMon Jul 07, 2014 10:38 pm

Just tried round tripping another project from Resolve, did a small edit in final cut X, made an xml and tried to open in Resolve 11 and this one keeps crashing, this edit is only 5 minutes long, no excess edition, no effete, just one simple cross fade transition

:(

Gilly

PostMon Jul 07, 2014 10:48 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:BBP, can you post your XML?

Spruce, you need the 15" MBP with retina display. set the screen scaling to more space. There is a minimum screen resolution for Resolve so without this setting you can't achieve the min.

Gilly, can you detail what yo mean, does not line up? Are you moving the overlay corners to position the overlay over the sample areas?

Does not line up and it seems there is not enough squares to represent the SpyderCheckr
Screen shot...

https://flic.kr/p/oeYZk9
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 08, 2014 1:53 am

Gilly wrote:
Peter Chamberlain wrote:BBP, can you post your XML?

Does not line up and it seems there is not enough squares to represent the SpyderCheckr
Screen shot...

https://flic.kr/p/oeYZk9

You need to target the right hand grid. You will need to rotate the overlay by moving the 4 points. We don't use the bit on the left hand side.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Richard Sisk

PostTue Jul 08, 2014 3:16 am

Resolve 11 beta has been working well under 0s x 10.9.4 until I tried to use the mask tool at which point it froze the cursor. Tried to force quit. No dice. Had to do hard boot.

Gilly

PostTue Jul 08, 2014 5:42 am

Gilly wrote:
You need to target the right hand grid. You will need to rotate the overlay by moving the 4 points. We don't use the bit on the left hand side.

No way to have the sample rotated? The SpyderChekr has a bottom and top mount 1/4 20. The "Book" design is easier to mount/open as a book rather than a "centerfold". Not an issue if hand held.

It did work once I rotated my sample clip.
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Jul 08, 2014 11:08 am

There no need to rotate the clip.. the overlay corners can be dragged to rotate.

Chris Hocking

PostTue Jul 08, 2014 12:40 pm

leonbbp wrote:Just tried round tripping another project from Resolve, did a small edit in final cut X, made an xml and tried to open in Resolve 11 and this one keeps crashing, this edit is only 5 minutes long, no excess edition, no effete, just one simple cross fade transition

Is it a Synchronised Clip?

Leon Lopez

PostTue Jul 08, 2014 1:19 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:
leonbbp wrote:Just tried round tripping another project from Resolve, did a small edit in final cut X, made an xml and tried to open in Resolve 11 and this one keeps crashing, this edit is only 5 minutes long, no excess edition, no effete, just one simple cross fade transition

Is it a Synchronised Clip?

Hey chris! Thanks, its kind of a funny one as the clips are synced with sound but i did the sync on resolve first, the bounced the CinemaDNG Raw files down into proxie, edited those and am now trying to open the project back up as from a saved XML, so technically the files I've edited are not synced really

what do you think?

Chris Hocking

PostTue Jul 08, 2014 10:22 pm

leonbbp wrote:Hey chris! Thanks, its kind of a funny one as the clips are synced with sound but i did the sync on resolve first, the bounced the CinemaDNG Raw files down into proxie, edited those and am now trying to open the project back up as from a saved XML, so technically the files I've edited are not synced really

I haven't tested this with Resolve 11, but I assume Resolve will just be creating Synchronised Clips in the FCPXML as well. I'm not exactly sure how you check if it's a Sync'ed clip or not in FCPX, as there's no special icon or any hints in the inspector - so you'd have to open up the XML to see.

As a test, try just having one of the sync'ed clips in a timeline, and send that to Resolve. I'm guessing it'll crash. Now, open the same timeline in FCPX. From the timeline, right click on your Sycn'ed clip and select "Open in Timeline". Put an in point at the start of the section of the clip you used (using the 'I' key), and an out point at the end of the section of the clip you used (using the 'O' key). Now copy (CMD+C), jump back to the original timeline (using the Left Button above the timeline) and Paste over the top of the Sync'ed Clip. Export and XML, and I'll think you'll find it works fine now.

So, what you could do is manually go through and 'de-sync' all your clips - but it would be a pain in the butt. I don't believe there's a

EDL-X or Xto7 will be much easier, until Blackmagic fix this bug/issue. Hopefully they're onto it and it'll be addressed in the next beta.

mcc23

PostTue Jul 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Peter, I have the same with Canon G25 .MTS files. My camera is configured to create 28Mbit 1920x1080 rushes. I have checked my setup with other (non-MTS) video files and the audio works 100%

PeterC2 wrote:Hi,

with my files - Panasonic .mts - it doesn't find the audio tracks.

Greets
Peter

Gilly

PostWed Jul 09, 2014 12:53 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:There no need to rotate the clip.. the overlay corners can be dragged to rotate.

I meant to also mention that the "Cube" that is also available from SpydrChekr mounts on the "top" of the book fold. It's purpose is to show absolute black with the hole in the bottom of the cube. Here's a link to Shane Hurlbut's website that has examples of how the chart was designed to be used.

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2014/06/color-correction-made-easy/
"Gilly"
Bill Gilbride
240g SSD
GTX 780 4k Ready!

Leon Lopez

PostWed Jul 09, 2014 8:17 am

Chris Hocking wrote:
leonbbp wrote:Hey chris! Thanks, its kind of a funny one as the clips are synced with sound but i did the sync on resolve first, the bounced the CinemaDNG Raw files down into proxie, edited those and am now trying to open the project back up as from a saved XML, so technically the files I've edited are not synced really

I haven't tested this with Resolve 11, but I assume Resolve will just be creating Synchronised Clips in the FCPXML as well. I'm not exactly sure how you check if it's a Sync'ed clip or not in FCPX, as there's no special icon or any hints in the inspector - so you'd have to open up the XML to see.

As a test, try just having one of the sync'ed clips in a timeline, and send that to Resolve. I'm guessing it'll crash. Now, open the same timeline in FCPX. From the timeline, right click on your Sycn'ed clip and select "Open in Timeline". Put an in point at the start of the section of the clip you used (using the 'I' key), and an out point at the end of the section of the clip you used (using the 'O' key). Now copy (CMD+C), jump back to the original timeline (using the Left Button above the timeline) and Paste over the top of the Sync'ed Clip. Export and XML, and I'll think you'll find it works fine now.

So, what you could do is manually go through and 'de-sync' all your clips - but it would be a pain in the butt. I don't believe there's a

EDL-X or Xto7 will be much easier, until Blackmagic fix this bug/issue. Hopefully they're onto it and it'll be addressed in the next beta.

Wow thank you for this. You really went in detail. I am going to give this a go and will give you the details

Thank you so much.

rlaudi

PostWed Jul 09, 2014 8:38 am

While doing some test edits / cg's in Resolve 11 I've found following issue:
(Sorry if this post does show up multiple times - I tried to post it with an URL...)

Since I'm not allowed to post a link to an example frame, I'll have to describe:
Every now and then a frame is covered with black blocks all over the picture.
<removed link>

1st I thought that it's just happening in the edit display (my hardware is unfortunately not quite top notch...), but after viewing the 'delivered' test render in ProResHQ this BlackBlocksBug was still there in a few frames.

Strangely this is not sticking to specific frames but changes when one steps frame by frame through the timeline. Looks like partial amnesia of render threads ;).

Anyone any ideas what may cause this?

Leon Lopez

PostWed Jul 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:BBP, can you update your user name to your real name please.

We will look at the xml .. have you tried deselecting to automatically put clips into the media pool? See if it still crashes.

Hey Peter, any chance to take a look at the XML?

Leon Lopez

PostWed Jul 09, 2014 5:41 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:

Chris it worked!!! ha ha

it relinked to the original file, everything, however there is no sound, just the visual, so i could have to re sync every single clip again, and now it is edited to the full 90 minute feature that would be impossible!

Oh goodness, but at lease this is evidence for BMD that it is a sync issue that is making the crash happen

But sadly it means i will have to wait till the issue is fixed in an update or just start edit from scratch on Resolve, as that would probably be quicker than trying to sync sound tiny clips

Chris Hocking

PostWed Jul 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Sound shouldn't be an issue as you can just copy and paste audio from your original timeline in FCPX.

If you need a solution today - use Xto7 on the App Store.

Leon Lopez

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 8:01 am

Chris Hocking wrote:Sound shouldn't be an issue as you can just copy and paste audio from your original timeline in FCPX.

If you need a solution today - use Xto7 on the App Store.

yeah i can but the main aim of editing the bulk on FCPx then roundtrippping to resolve was so that if i then needed to make any small adjustment to clips, length wise etc then i could do it directly in resolve, but this was i would have to make sure i have a total picture lock and then i would be tied in... also i think if i go through each clip one by one disabling the synced audio may be i should just go into Resolve and pick the clips for each edit and start the whole thing from scratch :(

Corrado Magalotti

Re: Davinci 11 Timeline Bug Reports

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 9:45 am

Hi all.
I discovered a tedious bug in Davinci Resolve 11 beta light.
Here the problem.
1. Create a timeline (imported xml from FCPX) and make some grades in clips
2. duplicate timeline and make some different things
3. Close and reopen Davinci
4. open the duplicated timeline.
5. ALL THE GRADES are missed! (like a virgin timeline)

I' m on a Mac Pro, installed is also Davinci resolve 10 light taken from the applestore, currently working.
anybody have got the same behavior?
Corrado Magalotti
Tam Tam Studio Rec. / soundchess.tv
Italy

Richard Sisk

PostThu Jul 10, 2014 7:14 pm

I am on a late 2013 Mac Pro 3.5 Ghz6 core, 32gb RAM.
I am able to work for an average of 20 min or so before Resolve 11 beta crashes requiring a hard reboot.
Often I get a weird pattern on the display indicating a GPU error I think and sometimes weird corrupted frames when trying to play a scene during grading. I forgot to mention I have the AMD Firepro D700 cards and I installed the latest CUDA update. Thanks

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 1:29 am

Hi Richard.
The new Mac Pro uses AMD GPUs as you mentioned so CUDA is not relevant.
Can you detail the OS level? Are you using 10.9.4?
What are the source file formats and resolutions you are using? What are the clip and timeline frame rates? The timeline resolution? Are you using NR, temporal speed changes?
Do you see a GPU out of memory error message?

sean mclennan

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 4:52 am

My Contour shuttle doesn't work in V11, it worked with V10.

Menus too long to fit on the screen don't scroll, even when the mouse hovers or clicks on the little arrow tab on the bottom. I have to select a menu option and use the arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate down. (dual monitor setup for example, which I turn on/off a lot)

Also, I have 9 clips on the timeline, I select them all to render, I render them as individual clips, I watch Resolve render all 9 clips. I only have 5 clips in the output folder?! It's done this 3 times tonight.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1

Ulysses Paiva

PostFri Jul 11, 2014 11:54 am

sean mclennan wrote:My Contour shuttle doesn't work in V11, it worked with V10.

Menus too long to fit on the screen don't scroll, even when the mouse hovers or clicks on the little arrow tab on the bottom. I have to select a menu option and use the arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate down. (dual monitor setup for example, which I turn on/off a lot)

Also, I have 9 clips on the timeline, I select them all to render, I render them as individual clips, I watch Resolve render all 9 clips. I only have 5 clips in the output folder?! It's done this 3 times tonight.

Windows 7 Professional, SP1

I was having the same problem when I realized I had "use source filename", só it was overwriting the cuts I had from the same file. I just unchecked it and everything worked fine. See if that works for you.
Ulysses Paiva

sean mclennan

PostSat Jul 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks Ulysses, that would account for 1 of them I guess, but there are 8 different source clips...

Joey Stephenson

PostWed Jul 30, 2014 10:38 pm

v11 Beta 2: Changing clip speed with ripple crashes Resolve on particular clip. This clip has a couple cropping keyframes, but it did the same thing when I removed them.

DOES NOT crash when ripple sequence is not selected.

See video:
Next

Return to DaVinci Resolve