gamma & red shift in DaVinci 11ß

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Rolf Heiler

gamma & red shift in DaVinci 11ß

PostSun Jul 13, 2014 9:42 am

I know that gamma shift problem on Macs has long been known and seems practically unsolvable. I have read pretty much all the posts in this and other forums about this issue. But I'm not so sure anymore if my problem is perhaps a DaVinci Resolve problem.

I use a MacPro 2013, 8 core, 64GM RAM with the two D700 AMD GPUs. I use RED raw files, BM DNG raw and some compositing work rendered out to ProRes 4444. All this footage will be shown darker and more reddish when I open it in Davinci Resolve. For example: When I take the RED raw files into Redcine-X, the footage looks like I expect it. Then I render it out to Quicktime ProRes 4444 and it looks not the same but very similar in the QuickTime Player or in FCP-X (this might be still the Apple gamma shift problem). But in Davinci Resolve both the RAW file and the QuickTime ProRes file appear darker and have a slight red tint.

I have also generated 264.h files from this footage and viewed it on multiple Macs, PCs and TVs. They all look more or less the same. But in DaVinci Resolve on my Mac Pro they look much different.

So I tried a roundtrip with DaVinci. I have rendered out the footage in DaVinci and have it loaded and rendered again in DaVinci. Both files looks like the same in Quicktime. So I guess that only the DaVinci viewer generates the wrong picture. Is it possible that my graphics hardware (D700 AMD) could be the problem?

At this time, it is practicly not possible for me to work on color grading with this configuration.

Can I possibly solve my problem by buying a Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K and connecting my monitor (Eizo CX270) with HDMI?

Who knows this problem? Who can help me?

Return to DaVinci Resolve