Resolve - Digesting REDCODE RAW (.R3D) files

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

dennysb

Resolve - Digesting REDCODE RAW (.R3D) files

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 2:04 am

If all I'm planning is to digest RED camera footage (REDCODE RAW (.R3D) outside the RED ROCKET, do I need to concern myself with having another GPU (i.e quadro 4000, GTX 570 and such)??

Thank you in advance for you advice!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve - Digesting REDCODE RAW (.R3D) files

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 3:43 am

What do you mean by "digest"? What exactly do you want to do with the Red footage in Resolve? And will you have a Red Rocket card in the system? What graphics card is currently in the system? You certainly need at least 1 graphics card with a Resolve supported GPU. Any modern system with a HD5770 or better graphics card should work. But if all you had was an older graphics card like a HD2600 or something like that, it would not be good enough to run Resolve.

So if you can provide more detail on what you want to do, and what hardware you currently have, we could give you a better answer.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

dennysb

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 5:02 am

Dwaine Maggart wrote:What do you mean by "digest"? What exactly do you want to do with the Red footage in Resolve? And will you have a Red Rocket card in the system? What graphics card is currently in the system? You certainly need at least 1 graphics card with a Resolve supported GPU. Any modern system with a HD5770 or better graphics card should work. But if all you had was an older graphics card like a HD2600 or something like that, it would not be good enough to run Resolve.

So if you can provide more detail on what you want to do, and what hardware you currently have, we could give you a better answer.

Sorry Dwaine for my poor explanation. Right now I have a macpro 5,1 with a ATI 5770 for GUI and a Nvidia Quadro 4000 for GPU. I currently working on Resolve with with DSLR footage. I am thinking to move to a Scarlet and realize "Ideally" a Red Rocket would be great.

Question: If I do get a RED rocket, and plan to only work with RED footage and Resolve, do I still need a GPU (i.e Q 4000). If I do, should I then make the Q 4000 a GUI+GPU and RED rocket for RED files processing. I do not have a Cubix expander so my real state is limited ;)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 10:47 am

Hi, the Red Rocket is used for decompressing and debayering the RED r3d signal into RGB data for each pixel. This is then sent to the GPU is used for image processing and from there to the UI GPU to display on your computer monitor. Finally the DeckLink takes the output from the UI GPU and makes HD-SDI for the grading monitor. None of these items are redundant but you can use a single GPU to share the image processing and UI workload. If you plan on doing that, then I think you need a more powerful GPU than the Q4000 and that then gets you to the issue of supplying power to the cards. The MacPro has two power connections and that will also define what card combinations work.

I suggest a quick review of the Resolve config guide as it will help a lot.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

dennysb

PostFri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Hi, the Red Rocket is used for decompressing and debayering the RED r3d signal into RGB data for each pixel. This is then sent to the GPU is used for image processing and from there to the UI GPU to display on your computer monitor. Finally the DeckLink takes the output from the UI GPU and makes HD-SDI for the grading monitor. None of these items are redundant but you can use a single GPU to share the image processing and UI workload. If you plan on doing that, then I think you need a more powerful GPU than the Q4000 and that then gets you to the issue of supplying power to the cards. The MacPro has two power connections and that will also define what card combinations work.

I suggest a quick review of the Resolve config guide as it will help a lot.
Peter

Peter, you are very kind, thank you

I think I kind I suspected what you stated, but wishful thinking got the best of me! ;)

Thanks again!

Return to DaVinci Resolve