Backing up database?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

James Bachalo

Backing up database?

PostSun Aug 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Can anyone tell me if its possible to make a manual backup of the database in OSX, and if so, where it is located?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

Re: Backing up database?

PostThu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 am

There are 2 database types available in Resolve. You can see what type you are using by opening the Resolve Database Manager window, which is accessed from the Resolve user login page, by clicking the Disks icon in the lower right.

By default, on new installations, Resolve uses a Disk database. This is stored as a series of folders in a path that is shown in the Host column in the Database manager window. These folders are view-able in Finder. In the path shown in the Host column, will be a "Resolve Projects" folder. In that will be a "Users" and "Settings" folder. In the "Users" folder will be a folder for each user login on the system. In the individual user folders will be a "Configs" and a "Projects" folder. Each of that users projects will have it's own folder in the Projects folder.

Resolve can also use PostgreSQL databases. If you need to have multiple systems share a database, as in the Collaborative Workflow scenario in Resolve 11, that must use a PostgreSQL database. In the Database Manager Host column, if there is an IP address, instead of a path, that would be a PostgreSQL database.

To backup either type of database, select the database in the Database Manager window, which will make it orange, then click the 3 vertical dots icon in the upper right area of the Database Manager window, and select Backup. This will bring up a window to allow you to name the backup, and select where it is saved.

To restore a backed up database to a Resolve system, click the 3 vertical dots icon in the upper right of the Database Manager window and select Restore. Follow the prompts. Note that you cannot restore a database to an existing database name, you must use a new name.

We recommend you backup your database before installing new Resolve software. Sometimes, new Resolve versions change the database format, and once that's been done, you would not be able to go back to an earlier Resolve version with your existing projects, should you desire to do so for some reason.

If you are using a PostgreSQL database, and you install a new Resolve version that requires database changes, you will be prompted that you need to "Upgrade" the database before it can be used. Again, we would recommend you backup the database before you allow it to be upgraded. Once it's upgraded, it will not work with an earlier Resolve version.

If you are using a Disk database, and a new Resolve version has database changes, you are not prompted to do a database upgrade. Existing projects are automatically upgraded when they are loaded the next time. Such an upgraded project may or may not properly load in an earlier Resolve version. So again, we recommend you backup the Disk database before installing a new Resolve version, to ensure your current projects can still be used with the earlier Resolve version, if needed.

And we recommend periodic backups of your database, even if you are not installing new Resolve software. If anything happens to the database, all of your project data could be lost. Having regular backups will help protect you if something happens to the database.

You can also use Time Machine to backup Disk databases. But this will not work with PostgreSQL databases. Those must be backed up as described above.

Note that Stills are not stored in the database. So if you have a disk failure, and you restore a backup database, that will bring back your users and projects, but not the stills. Thumbnails are stored in the database, so those will come back. But not the full res stills that you can wipe in the Viewer.

For maximum safety regarding backups, you can also use the Resolve application Export Project feature. This is in the File menu for a currently loaded project. Or there is an Export menu in the Project Manager, that will allow you to export projects that are not loaded. Using the Export process, you have the option to also store the Stills, LUTs, Audio and EDLs related to the project. If you export a project, and select all those options, you can take that export .drp file to another Resolve system, or store it as a backup, and use that to fully recover all aspects of a project, except for the actual project media. Note that if you have lots of stills and audio, that could make the export .drp file quite large. And it will take a while to export and load.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

James Bachalo

PostThu Aug 14, 2014 12:15 am

Thanks Dwaine!

MagicWego

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 11:38 am

Hi

we've got the same problem. On opening the Davinci project the following message is being displayed "Error.Davinci Résolve failed to open project". while going on the 3 vertical date icon, the project gets orange but there is no "restore" option (even in grey). We are using the Davinci Résolve software version 11.3.1.
Could you help us?

Thanks for replying.
FLACCOMIO
DoP
Production and Post-Production Cinéma

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 2:56 pm

When you say you have the same problem, what problem? This thread is not about problems, just about how to back up Resolve databases.

You mention there is no Restore option. That option is in the Resolve Database Manager window. I don't think that's where you are.

If your problem is a Resolve project that won't open, what type of database is that project in, the PostgreSQL or the DISK database?

If you are using a DISK database, and you have a project that won't open, there is probably nothing to be done for that, unless you've backed up the project or the database with the project, before the project became corrupted.
Dwaine Maggart

MagicWego

PostWed Jul 15, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi
sorry for the message written in panic. we actually phoned the hotline and apparently our project has been corrupt. I'm gonna send it as well as the logs to the help center to see if they can help.
Thanks
FLACCOMIO
DoP
Production and Post-Production Cinéma

Adrian Stokes

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 5:31 am

I know this thread is quite old but I'd like to open the discussion back up about backing up a shared Resolve database. I am using a shared database between 3 suites and have a database server. I want to know if there is anyway to automate the backup of the shared database?

Currently I am doing this by opening Resolve and backing up the database using the software but I would really like to automate this process and just copy the relevant files/folders from the database server. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Adrian.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Some thoughts in this LGG thread:

http://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.ph ... base.4330/

Both a commercial app and a homegrown method to do it. I'm sure there are others.
Dwaine Maggart

John Emery

PostSat Aug 05, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem here...

I downloaded and installed the latest version of Davinci 14 (still Beta). I already had Resolve 14, where I had all the projects I have worked with since 12.5. I intalled the latest version and when it opens I get the option to upgrade the database, but they recommend to backup the existing database first. I'm new with Davinci and I don't really know if I had it in Disk or SQL mode (I didn't change since the first installation of Davinci 12.5). So I haven't done anything yet. I'm afraid of srewing up here!! Loads of projects, some unfinished... I never had this problem going from 12.5 to 14! Where can I find the files on Windows 8.1?? Can I still open them? How big is the risk of loosing my files by upgrading the Database?

Thank you for your time!

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Assuming you've installed 14b6 (14b5 had an issue with backing up databases), do you see the Databases area on the left side of the Project Manager page? If not, click the Projects icon in the upper left of the Project Manager window.

You'll see a list of Disk databases at the top, and PostgreSQL databases lower down. Databases that need to be Upgraded will have a circular pair of arrows on the right end of the database name area.

To back those databases up, before Upgrading, select the database, then select the icon in the upper area of the Databases window with the arrow pointing UP. That's the Backup icon. The icon to the right of that, with the arrow pointing down is the Restore icon. Hopefully we'll have some floating hover menus for all those icons someday.

When you select the Backup icon, you'll get a Finder like window titled Backup Database. Pick a location to save the backup to.

After you've backed up the database, right click the database and select Upgrade.

After the upgrade, the pair of circular arrows will go away, and you can select that database to be used in 14b6.
Dwaine Maggart

David Ochieng

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 9:04 am

Thanks Dwaine!
Unfortunately for me though, I did everything you've just described but after the arrows go away and I click on a project file, resolve loads it to 99% and then crushes...every single time. Yes, this is 14b6.

Dwaine Maggart wrote:Assuming you've installed 14b6 (14b5 had an issue with backing up databases), do you see the Databases area on the left side of the Project Manager page? If not, click the Projects icon in the upper left of the Project Manager window.

You'll see a list of Disk databases at the top, and PostgreSQL databases lower down. Databases that need to be Upgraded will have a circular pair of arrows on the right end of the database name area.

To back those databases up, before Upgrading, select the database, then select the icon in the upper area of the Databases window with the arrow pointing UP. That's the Backup icon. The icon to the right of that, with the arrow pointing down is the Restore icon. Hopefully we'll have some floating hover menus for all those icons someday.

When you select the Backup icon, you'll get a Finder like window titled Backup Database. Pick a location to save the backup to.

After you've backed up the database, right click the database and select Upgrade.

After the upgrade, the pair of circular arrows will go away, and you can select that database to be used in 14b6.

Peter Bosman

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 am

Thanks, that is handy.

I always backup all my video and audio files, but forgot to backup the database untill the computer crashed (the boot ssd).
An automatic database backup (as the autosave) to another disk would be nice in the future .

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:52 pm

@David: Try 14b7.

If still the same, is the project in a Disk or PostgreSQL database? And are you on Mac or Windows?
Dwaine Maggart

David Ochieng

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:55 pm

It's worked, Dwaine! My man!

Dwaine Maggart wrote:@David: Try 14b7.

If still the same, is the project in a Disk or PostgreSQL database? And are you on Mac or Windows?

Deryk Eynon

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Hey Dwaine, I have a new computer that will replace my old Postgres database server and I need to migrate the database to the new computer. Do I backup and import that database to my new computer? Or is there a better way?

Thanks

Deryk
Resolve 17.1., 2016 MBP 2.7 i7, 500GB SSD, 16GB memory, Intel HD 530, Radeon 580 eGPU

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 pm

Doing a Database Backup on the current system, and Restoring that backup on the new system should work.
Dwaine Maggart

RandyLarcombe

PostSat May 25, 2019 6:22 am

I've just changed my operation from single user to shared environment working from Postgres data base and I am wondering is it possible to import my entire database from the disk database backup that I've been working from into the Postgres environment? When I try to import the database from the backup, the postgres option is greyed out. (see attached). Is it that I have to do this on a project by project basis? That would be a bit of a pain. Or, is there a way I can do this in one hit? Still getting my head around this change over so apologise if this is a stupid question.

I am running MOJAVE and Resolve 15.3.1

Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 3.47.56 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 3.47.56 pm.png (457.83 KiB) Viewed 6616 times

Jean Claude

PostSat May 25, 2019 8:45 am

Hello,

Export .DRP from disk Database,
Then you can import the .DRPs into PostGreSql database.
"Saying it is good, but doing it is better! "
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

RandyLarcombe

PostSat May 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Hello,

Export .DRP from disk Database,
Then you can import the .DRPs into PostGreSql database.

Thanks Claude. Do, you know if there is anyway I can import the whole database, not just the individual projects. I have quite a few projects that I would have to do this process for. It would be much easier if I could copy or import the whole database across.

Jean Claude

PostSat May 25, 2019 2:02 pm

Unfortunately, I do not know of any tools that allow copy disk database to pgSql database.

It takes a little time to do it project by project but it is the opportunity to make a backup of all its projects. The best is to make a backup each time of his current project.
Win10-1809 | Resolve Studio V16.1 | Fusion Studio V16.1 | Decklink 4K Extreme 6G | RTX 2080Ti 431.86 NSD driver! |

RandyLarcombe

PostSat May 25, 2019 9:10 pm

Jean Claude wrote:Unfortunately, I do not know of any tools that allow copy disk database to pgSql database.

It takes a little time to do it project by project but it is the opportunity to make a backup of all its projects. The best is to make a backup each time of his current project.

Thanks Claude, it probably won't take long, I'm just lazy:)

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon May 27, 2019 3:22 pm

You can copy projects between databases.

Select all the projects you desire from one database, then do a CMD-c to copy them.

Select the database that you wish to copy them to, and do a CMD-v.

I am ever hopeful that someday we'll add right click shortcuts for these, so it's more obvious that you can copy and paste projects.
Dwaine Maggart

Jean Claude

PostMon May 27, 2019 4:01 pm

oups,

then do a CMD-c to copy them

Thank you Dwaine,

Quite simply...
I'm going back to school ... :oops:

Return to DaVinci Resolve