Generating 3D LUT in Resolve 11?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Mark Kenfield

Generating 3D LUT in Resolve 11?

PostSun Sep 21, 2014 11:20 am

Hi guys,

I recently updated to Resolve 11, and I can't for the life of me find out how to export a 3D LUT from the new version of the software.

It used to just be a right-click job, but that option seems to have disappeared.

I need to export some custom LUTs for monitoring for an upcoming project, so any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Mathieu Marano

Re: Generating 3D LUT in Resolve 11?

PostMon Sep 22, 2014 9:54 pm

it's still there. Go in the COLOR page, right-clic a thumbnail in the thumbnail timeline and choose "Generate 3D LUT".
Mathieu Marano
www.cineground.com

#1: MacPro 3,5GHz 8-core, 32GB RAM, 2x D700 6GB, Ultrastudio 4K
#2: P900, 2x 3.1GHz 10-core, 128GB RAM, 2 x GTX 1080Ti, Decklink 4K 12G
#3: P500, 2x 2.6GHz 6-core, 64GB RAM, 2x Quadro 5200, W10, Decklink HD Extreme 3

Will Tejeda

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 12:46 am

Does anyone know how resolve consolidates nodes to create a 3d lut , and which (if any ) tools shouldn't be used. (noise reduction and sharpening are the obvious ones not to use if you're trying to compatibility across platforms)
Will Tejeda
DP/Cinematographer

Juan Salvo

PostTue Sep 23, 2014 1:16 am

Order of modifications is irrelevant.

Things that work in luts:
LGG, LOG grades, contrast, sat, hue adjustments. Qualifiers without bluring or denoising.

Things that don't work in luts:
Nearly everything else. Including windows, blur, sharpens, blurred qualifiers, ext mattes, layer modes, etc, etc.

If you have any of these on the image the exported LUT will not work correctly, if at all.

If you want to move grades between resolve stations the correct method would be a drx, not a LUT.

Colin Grainger

PostTue Oct 20, 2015 8:20 am

I have been trying to export a LUT using the above recommended method but nothing is exported. The only way I get any outcome is first to right-click on a 'powergrade' or a Glaaery memory and 'Export with Display LUT'. However his only produces two files in a folder. The folder has the name I had chosen for the LUT and inside it - 'default_Bdrx' and 'default_B.dpx'. Sometimes but rarely if I follow that process with the recommended method it does produce the LUT. Any ideas what is happening here? BTW I have my timeline set at 1080 for the purpose of this trial.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 21, 2015 12:33 am

What happens when you right click a thumbnail on the color page and select Generate 3D LUT (CUBE)?
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Michael Tiemann

Re: Generating 3D LUT in Resolve 11 (and 14.2)?

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 pm

Juan Salvo wrote:Order of modifications is irrelevant.

Things that work in luts:
LGG, LOG grades, contrast, sat, hue adjustments. Qualifiers without bluring or denoising.

Things that don't work in luts:
Nearly everything else. Including windows, blur, sharpens, blurred qualifiers, ext mattes, layer modes, etc, etc.

If you have any of these on the image the exported LUT will not work correctly, if at all.

If you want to move grades between resolve stations the correct method would be a drx, not a LUT.

I've just noticed for myself that including blurred qualifiers in a 3D LUT export results in a minimally transformative LUT. The LUT does *something*, if you look at the scopes. It's just nearly nothing, despite some rather extreme things happening elsewhere. It would be wonderful if Resolve could spit out an error message if the node tree of a clip exceeds that which can be reliably transcribed into a LUT.
MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7
iMac Pro (2017)
3 GHz Intel Xeon W
64GB 2666 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB
RED Rocket-X
Decklink 8K Pro card feeding FSI XM310K Monitor

Return to DaVinci Resolve