Resolve not recognizing media

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Shane Oconnor

Resolve not recognizing media

PostSat Nov 24, 2012 7:09 am

Hi!

I recently upgraded to resolve 9 lite on a Mac. Following the same workflow from 8 that I have done many times in the past of grading some 2k files I went about it the same way in 9. My issue is that resolve is no longer recognizing my Prores 422 files that I try to import. I first had them as 2k files like my previous projects and thought that may be an issue. I downrez'd to 1080 prores 422 and resolve still is not recognizing the files in the media folder.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolve not recognizing media

PostSun Nov 25, 2012 6:20 am

Resolve Lite permits source file resolution to be above HD, but the timeline and render resolution can only be up to HD. So source res is not the issue. Can you confirm any images on your system now? Whats the hardware config? Are you using 64 bit OS?
In the media page, using the library to browse, do you see the file folder with your files? When you select it, can you see the clip thumbnails on the right of the library?
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Shane Oconnor

PostThu Nov 29, 2012 10:31 pm

So I went back to my original edit and decided to render out some test files.

I rendered out every possible prores combination at both 2k resolution and 1080p. What I found is that resolve will recognize these smaller test files, both the 2k and 1080, but my main master file that is ~60gb it still will not.

If I place the master 60gb file in its own folder resolve will recognize the folder but when I click on it it shows that it is empty. Like wise when I place the master file in a folder will other media it recognizes it still wont see my desired file.

That makes me wonder then is there a maximum file size that resolve can recognize and handle?

Hardware: Late 2011 iMac 3.4ghz i7. 12gb ram. OSX 10.8

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Nov 30, 2012 6:54 am

Hi, I just tested a 66GB ProRes single clip and an load and play. You may be hitting the limits of your hardware configuration particularly the GPU ram limits.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Shane Oconnor

PostSat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 pm

Yea it would appear so.

I broke down my media into 11gb files and it worked from there on out. It would seem like that have a file size limit of about ~13-15gb

Thanks!

Return to DaVinci Resolve