Parallel installation of Resolve lite and full version

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Soeren Mueller

Parallel installation of Resolve lite and full version

PostWed Nov 12, 2014 9:25 pm

I wish Resolve full and lite would be one version - as a BM camera owner I switch my dongle between computers sometimes and of course it would be handy to still use the lite version on a computer that's currently missing the dongle.

I thought I read somewhere on here that at least a workaround would be to install both versions at the same time in parallel - but that doesn't seem to work either. I installed Resolve (full version) 11.1.1 first and when I start the lite version 11.1.1 installation I only get the message "A newer version Resolve is already installed, please uninstall it in Control Panel first."

So I guess there is no viable solution currently to use both full and lite on the same machine "interchangably"?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Parallel installation of Resolve lite and full version

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 1:17 am

We do not recommend dual installation of both apps.
There are significant parts of the full version code that are not in the Lite version based on the difference between the apps.
The dongle protection of the full version would be significantly easier to workaround if the app simply use Lite only features with the dongle missing so we don't have plans to do that.
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Soeren Mueller

PostThu Nov 13, 2014 9:37 am

Totally understand that... so I guess there is no workaround besides having a dual boot system with two OS installations? (which of course would be too unpractical)

Would starting/using the lite version on the same OS installation somehow mess up the full version or the other way around (database and such) or should it be ok (in theory)?

Peter Eaton

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 5:59 pm

What about dual installation of the full versions -- 12.5.2 + 12.5.4?

I want to test a .drp file out and see if it exported properly. Essentially, I am crashing Davinci when exporting a feature length film on 12.5.2, and the problem could be eliminated if I update my OS and Davinci. However I am afraid to update both, as I absolutely cannot lose my picture locked edit.

Advice anyone?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 12:25 am

No.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Marc Wielage

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 6:51 am

Soeren Mueller wrote:So I guess there is no viable solution currently to use both full and lite on the same machine "interchangably"?

I think the best solution is to go and buy a second Resolve Studio dongle, either new or on the used market (like eBay), so that both computers are running the exact same version without any limitations.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Martin Schitter

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Peter Chamberlain wrote:There are significant parts of the full version code that are not in the Lite version based on the difference between the apps.
The dongle protection of the full version would be significantly easier to workaround if the app simply use Lite only features with the dongle missing so we don't have plans to do that.

well -- it's first of all BMDs decisions, but in more objective terms it doesn't make much sense.

as long as the studio version is downloadable to everybody (it's in fact even easier accessible, because you do not have to fill out the form for download in contrast to the lite edition!), this excluded parts are also available to anyone.
and that's not only unreasoning speculation. we simply have to take it as a matter of fact, that cracked versions of resolve, based on this packages, are still available in the wild. that's a real problem, and i personally disdain dubious pirated software not less than their manufacturers, even though for other reasons.

therefore i think, it wouldn't make any significant difference, if resolve would come in a more user friendly sole package [preferably on ALL platforms].

Soeren Mueller

PostTue May 02, 2017 9:14 am

Martin Schitter wrote:therefore i think, it wouldn't make any significant difference, if resolve would come in a more user friendly sole package [preferably on ALL platforms].

+100 ;)

Having a similar problem right now again.. would love to try out the 14 Beta more but having to install it on a completely different computer or at least different OS partition/installation because it's always removing 12.5 ... sigh :(

Micha Clazing

PostTue May 02, 2017 8:36 pm

I have been doing this for ages (on Windows). Very simple:

- Install Resolve Studio first.
- Copy the Resolve folder in Program Files and rename the copied version to Resolve Studio
- Uninstall Resolve Studio (the copied folder will remain)
- Install Resolve Lite
- Copy the shortcut to Resolve, rename it to "Resolve Studio", and point it to Resolve.exe inside the Resolve Studio folder

Now you have two shortcuts, Resolve and Resolve Studio. Studio will ask for a dongle and Lite won't. If you open a Studio project in Lite, some shots (or all) might have a watermark on them, depending on what features you used (like denoise or OpenFX), but other than that it is safe to work on a Studio project in Lite.

In previous versions, it was even possible to simply use a different .exe file in the same folder. I used to have Resolve.exe and Resolve Studio.exe, and it worked fine. Since version 12, some dlls are different between the two versions so you have to copy the entire folder.

Return to DaVinci Resolve