XML round trip

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Samer Mahmoud

XML round trip

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 1:55 am

hi, i have a question about re-conforming xml after finishing the grading job. for example i finished color grading a project then the client decided to change few shots, what can i do to re-conform xml of the to the original graded timeline without losing my grades?.

for now im sending xml of the new clips from PP then i replace it back after grading them. hope there's a better way

Walter Cavatoi

Re: XML round trip

PostSun Nov 23, 2014 3:10 pm

What do you mean with " the client decided to change few shots"? Changing the grade or adding new shots in the edit?
If you need only to trim a few shots you can do it straight in Resolve. Otherwise yes, you have to reconform a new xml of the entire timeline ( but you will keep all your grades, if you are grading in Remote Grading).
Then you can render only the modified clips and export a new XML from Davinci. I suggest to add all the new shots in a new video track so you can easily reconfirm only the tracks you need ( and the new rendered shot will have an prefix V2 or V3 etc..)
Walter Cavatoi
Colorist / Online Editor
www.waltercavatoi.com

Samer Mahmoud

PostTue Dec 16, 2014 11:02 pm

exactly, the director wants to change and add some shots, how can i reconform the xml in davinci, i couldnt find the command, and do i have to be color grading in remote versions? that wont work if i have local versions? sorry if im asking much, just started to use Davinci :)

Peter Cave

PostThu Dec 18, 2014 3:43 am

Use remote versions and import the new xml into Resolve. All the clips graded from the original xml import will have the grades applied in the new timeline. New clips will need grading. If you are using local grades you will need to have a gallery grade for each clip in the time line and use the colour trace function to match to the new xml import. It's all in the manual.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve