A Couple Tangent Element Questions

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Scott Stacy

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 5:35 pm

I have the Tangent Element coming today - early stocking stuffer :)

1) Do you need to install the Tangent Hub software to work with Resolve 11 or is it sufficient to simply select the panel in Resolve's "Project Settings" ?

2) It looks like the mapping in the "stock" Resolve configuration, things looks like they are laid out pretty well - except for some things I rarely use. Is the mapping software pretty easy to use to switch up the buttons? A yes or no answer is sufficient, I can download and read the manual and don't want to be a bother.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Dmitry Kitsov BMD

Blackmagic Design

Re: A Couple Tangent Element Questions

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 5:53 pm

Hello, Scott,

1) You do need to install Tangent Hub utility in order for the panels to work with DaVinci Resolve.

2) It is not possible to change panel buttons mapping for DaVinci Resolve at this time with any third party control panels or with Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve colorist control surface.
Blackmagic Design Sr.Technical Support Engineer

Lee Gauthier

PostTue Dec 23, 2014 7:39 pm

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:It is not possible to change panel buttons mapping for DaVinci Resolve at this time with any third party control panels

Just a reminder that there are many Resolve users who hope BMD is working on an SDK/API so that 3rd party manufacturers and users could custom map control panels to functions in Resolve.

Hope we'll see it soon. It will benefit users, and reduce the work for BMD, since 3rd parties will take over coding for control surfaces.

Scott Stacy

PostMon Jan 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:Hello, Scott,

1) You do need to install Tangent Hub utility in order for the panels to work with DaVinci Resolve.

2) It is not possible to change panel buttons mapping for DaVinci Resolve at this time with any third party control panels or with Blackmagic Design DaVinci Resolve colorist control surface.

Thanks. I figured that out.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Harris Charalambous

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 3:16 pm

Lee Gauthier wrote:
Dmitry Kitsov BMD wrote:It is not possible to change panel buttons mapping for DaVinci Resolve at this time with any third party control panels

Just a reminder that there are many Resolve users who hope BMD is working on an SDK/API so that 3rd party manufacturers and users could custom map control panels to functions in Resolve.

Hope we'll see it soon. It will benefit users, and reduce the work for BMD, since 3rd parties will take over coding for control surfaces.

As the years continue to go by and custom mapping or even default mapping still lags greatly. Seems we will never see the full potential of our panels in resolve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lee Gauthier

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Don't give up hope.

Moving to an API/SDK makes a lot of sense for BMD. If they made a single set of comprehensive hooks for controlling Resolve, then third party developers would bear the weight of developing control software. BMD would have much less work to do, and it would open the market to all kinds of controllers.

We've been begging BMD for this for years. I hope they are listening...

Harris Charalambous

PostSat Jan 10, 2015 9:04 pm

There is a slight hope but I'm sure that unless BMD releases a smaller panel they aren't going to open those doors and kill their big panel business. Custom mapping, better grading tools and grading management along with basic paint would pretty much put negate the need for any other grading app. But I don't think they see that.

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jan 10, 2015 11:40 pm

Harris Charalambous wrote:But I don't think they see that.

I actually think they do understand that. I think there are two other issues here: 1) it's a lot harder to change the controls in daVinci Resolve than people understand, because some of it is hard coded into the current software, and 2) BMD has hundreds of other more mission-critical things on their list of priorities they have to solve first.

Just my opinion, and I have no real inside knowledge of what's going on there. Only a guess on my part.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostSun Jan 11, 2015 12:32 am

So, first we want the software for free (or peanuts) then the hooks for 3rd party panels for free. .. That seems a good business choice!
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Lee Gauthier

PostSun Jan 11, 2015 12:31 pm

they aren't going to open those doors and kill their big panel business.

It won't kill the Big Panel Business.

The big panel business is exclusively for Linux. The market for a $30k seat running Linux has virtually no overlap with the market that will buy a $1k seat of Mac/Windows and a $4k Control panel. Implementing an SDK/API will not convince anyone who needs Linux to buy Mac or Windows instead. The $30k customers are big iron shops with a Linux workflow. The $30k Big Panel in a Big Room is part of their value-add.

Moving to an SDK/API will allow BMD to get out of the business of fixing third party control panels. All they have to do is support a single API per platform, and the control function becomes the responsibility of third parties.

it's a lot harder to change the controls in daVinci Resolve than people understand, because some of it is hard coded into the current software

IMHO, they should bite the engineering bullet, and not change the controls, but overhaul the entire control system. They should set it up so that every control is connected to the API as part of the same process of connecting it to the UI. Whenever a new control, or a new parameter is added, the API is updated immediately as a matter of course. This investment of time and money would let users have any kind fo controller they wanted. It would also allow developers to create new products that would stimulate the DaVinci market.

Imagine, for example, a developer making software that allows you to use a Kinect to control resolve with gestures in 3d-space. Or is someone adapted one of those large AP touch screens into a control surface?

It could really make Resolve stand apart from all the other color grading solutions.

So, first we want the software for free (or peanuts) then the hooks for 3rd party panels for free

I think the API should be confined to the paid version. I'd even pay a few hundred dollars to upgrade to that version, provided that the API worked, and was completely comprehensive. I think other users would be agreeable, if the final version was something to write home about.

Harris Charalambous

PostSun Jan 11, 2015 2:15 pm

waltervolpatto wrote:So, first we want the software for free (or peanuts) then the hooks for 3rd party panels for free. .. That seems a good business choice!

Walter who said they wanted it for free? I along with many others in the endless threads across multiple forums have said we would be willing to pay at least 1k for this feature. So I'm not sure where you are getting this info from. I totally agree with Lee it should be confined to the full version.

waltervolpatto

PostSun Jan 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Harris Charalambous wrote:
waltervolpatto wrote:So, first we want the software for free (or peanuts) then the hooks for 3rd party panels for free. .. That seems a good business choice!

Walter who said they wanted it for free? I along with many others in the endless threads across multiple forums have said we would be willing to pay at least 1k for this feature. So I'm not sure where you are getting this info from. I totally agree with Lee it should be confined to the full version.

A agree with a couple of posts back, it will kill the big panel business.
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled

Marc Wielage

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 6:32 am

Lee Gauthier wrote:The big panel business is exclusively for Linux.

Not true. I know more than 40 rooms in LA that are using the big panels with Macintosh. And that's only the ones I personally have seen.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

waltervolpatto

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:

Not true. I know more than 40 rooms in LA that are using the big panels with Macintosh. And that's only the ones I personally have seen.

We have three Linux and one Mac with the big panel. ... And is really handy. ..

Dermot Shane

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 5:22 pm

I wonder what a bite into the big surfaces sales numbers were when Baselight released the Slate, Quantel the Nano, and Nucoda full mapping for a 5 piece Elements?

In all three cases you give little away in daily driveing using the smaller surfaces with those softwares

Lee Gauthier

PostMon Jan 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:

You're right. I was thinking of the 2k panels. Thanks for putting me back on track.

Return to DaVinci Resolve