Grades applied to Post-Clip in Groups applying to others

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Ryan Monroe

Grades applied to Post-Clip in Groups applying to others

PostTue Jan 06, 2015 8:33 pm

So, I am attempting to create multiple Groups for one clip as to create a few different looks for the clip without affecting the corrections done on the clip level. When I make any number of new groups and apply a grade to the Post-Group Clip the grade applies to all of the other groups. If anyone has any insight as to what I am doing wrong I would GREATLY appreciate it.

A side note: When I right click the thumbnail in the timeline I never have the option to Create New Group I only have the option to Add into Current Group even when there are no Groups created.

Thanks!

Marc Wielage

Re: Grades applied to Post-Clip in Groups applying to others

PostWed Jan 07, 2015 1:27 am

Timeline should affect all groups, but Pre-Clip and Post-Clip should only affect the current group.

If you highlight a specific selection of shots -- say, six clips -- and then right-click them, add those into a New Group. No other shots should affect the Pre- or Post-Clip grade for these shots. The key should be the green "linked" chain symbol in the upper right above the timeline; this should only light up when an affected clip is selected.

I just double-checked and it works fine for me under v11.1.1 (haven't updated to 11.1.3 yet). Covered very well in the manual, pp. 772-778.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Ryan Monroe

PostWed Jan 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Hey Marc,

That is what's driving me crazy about this problem!
I am doing everything right and have even double, triple checked my process with information put out by Patrick Inhofer (sp?) and other professionals.

The only thing I am finding that is inconsistent with what others are doing is that when I right+click to Create a New Group, that option is never there rather Add to New Group is the option. So, I am wondering if there is a master project setting problem?

My work around has been to create different versions which is far from ideal.
Anyone else have any idea?

Thanks

Ryan Monroe

PostWed Jan 07, 2015 2:34 pm

Figured it out!

I was trying to shuttle between looks on the clip by Loading the Group but I see that you Assign the clip(s) to the Group to do this.

:oops:

Nate Porter

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 5:30 am

Ryan Monroe wrote:Figured it out!

I was trying to shuttle between looks on the clip by Loading the Group but I see that you Assign the clip(s) to the Group to do this.

:oops:

If you want different grades for the same clips you could make versions instead of clips and quickly swap between those

Marc Wielage

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 7:52 am

Ryan Monroe wrote:I was trying to shuttle between looks on the clip by Loading the Group but I see that you Assign the clip(s) to the Group to do this.

Correct. You do have to kind of wrap your head around the logic of Pre-Grade and Post-Grade, but once you get into it it can be a useful tool. I've used it in sequences where I've meticulously matched (say) a 50-shot scene, then the director comes in and says, "what would it look like if this entire scene was green?" And then I do one Post-grade adjustment adding green, and boom... everything still matches, and the level of green doesn't increase shot to shot. Same deal with vignettes or making things darker or whatever. Very handy, and much more predictable (and reversible) than a global correction.

waltervolpatto

• Location: 1146 North Las Palmas Ave. Hollywood, California 90038 USA

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Marc Wielage wrote:
Ryan Monroe wrote:I was trying to shuttle between looks on the clip by Loading the Group but I see that you Assign the clip(s) to the Group to do this.

Correct. You do have to kind of wrap your head around the logic of Pre-Grade and Post-Grade, but once you get into it it can be a useful tool. I've used it in sequences where I've meticulously matched (say) a 50-shot scene, then the director comes in and says, "what would it look like if this entire scene was green?" And then I do one Post-grade adjustment adding green, and boom... everything still matches, and the level of green doesn't increase shot to shot. Same deal with vignettes or making things darker or whatever. Very handy, and much more predictable (and reversible) than a global correction.

That is how I'm doing the movie now: balance and match the first pass and it a trim is needed make a scene group and ride
W10-19043.1645- Supermicro MB C9X299-PGF - RAM 128GB CPU i9-10980XE 16c 4.3GHz (Oc) Water cooled
Decklink Studio 4K (12.3)
Resolve 18.5.1 / fusion studio 18
GPU 3090ti drivers 512.59 studio

Ryan Monroe

PostFri Jan 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks for the comments all. I definitely do understand how to use versions and groups I was just mixing up my Load and Apply for groups. I love versioning out different looks and shuttling between them but sometimes the node tree for the look gets too big/messy and I would prefer to keep it tidy so I choose to group and add the overall grade to the post-clip then make necessary tweaks pre-clip.

Thanks again :!:

-Ryan

Marc Wielage

PostSat Jan 17, 2015 6:26 am

Ryan Monroe wrote:Thanks for the comments all. I definitely do understand how to use versions and groups I was just mixing up my Load and Apply for groups. I love versioning out different looks and shuttling between them but sometimes the node tree for the look gets too big/messy and I would prefer to keep it tidy so I choose to group and add the overall grade to the post-clip then make necessary tweaks pre-clip.

The biggest problem I see neophytes (and some experienced users) make is to wind up with a node tree so large, they forget which steps are being done where. As a result, you wind up (say) adding blue in Node #3, then subtracting blue in Node #9. If you deleted both, the correction wouldn't change.

Coming up with a fairly rigid node structure is the only thing that's worked for me, where I have a good overall idea where and when certain kinds of tweaks were done. I've had to change my methodology a bit because of Pre- and Post-Clip, but the biggest disadvantage I can think of with using these modes is that you can't see it at-a-glance in the node display unless you flip it over. It'd be nice to have some kind of indication that Pre-Clip or Post-Clip is being used, to warn you "hey -- there's more going on than what you can see in the main node window." I've been guilty of occasionally doing a trim and undoing what I did in the first place in Post-Grade.

Return to DaVinci Resolve